Toribash
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
None of the guys you quoted are "top leaders in the field", and the open letter is not about doomsday AI...

Yeah, the letters about preventing the threat of AI by improving AI safety.

Nukes do not launch instantly, nukes are not uncounterable, nukes are not connected to the internet, nukes cannot be launched in the manor you suggest.

What's more, we weren't even talking about nukes, you suddenly replacing robots with nukes then saying "omg nuclear holocaust" is not productive!

Hawkes (whose post has gone missing), talked about the threat of AI being connected to militaries. You said a robot army is necessary for this threat to become a reality. Uhm? Yeah no. There's plenty of other ways for AI connected to militaries to screw with everyone other than by creating a robot army. Nukes could be one way (if you think creatively, I'm sure you could think of others) - despite your expert assurance that they aren't.

I see you've dropped your argument from "skynet/war games" to "threats exist, no matter how minor".

Never once mentioned skynet/war games. Only ever mentioned that threats exist. I see you dropped my argument about the logical insanity of you saying we're asking you to prove a negative.

That's good progress, now you just need to understand that yes, there are threats, but existing standard procedures easily defeat them, as Bostrom says in the book that you rejected because you didn't post it...

If existing standard procedures easily defeat the threats, then why did Musk invest $10m into developing ways to ensure AI safety? If the problem is as simple as you say it is, why are the leading experts and other great minds (greater than yours, I think it's fair to say) so concerned about it?

~Ele (@proto, I'll make posts my acc. from now on (just used this account in the first place to refer Pig to the conduct rule, then continued using it for the sake of thread clarity))
Last edited by TDCadmin; Feb 12, 2015 at 04:07 PM.