Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
I'm not saying I want to learn what I already know, because surprise surprise I don't know everything about the broad spectrum of bussiness. I'm not just saying I personally what it to be taught to me, I think it should be taught to everyone. If someone in school wants to know math history or other things that is mandatory in school know, make it an elective.

Just pulling this quote out from you. With the way that you worded this I'm not quite sure it could be interpreted any other way than you saying that math, history, and other things that are mandatory at the moment should be made into electives. Next time you should specify which kinds of math/history. If you meant the more advanced portions then say the more advanced portions of the topics because at the moment you are lumping the entire subject together and saying it should become an optional course.
Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
I never said "math should be an elective" most basic math needs to be taught. But once you begin to delve into trigonometry and more complex versions of math, it no longer becomes an essential thing to know. Therefore, for those who still want to continue to learn it, it can be an elective.
But I'm not going to continue to argue, you're flat out throwing insults out of nowhere. I may have called someone idiotic but he misquoted, and based a whole post on a false quote from me.
-----
He may have not even tried to quote me, but was definitely blowing something I said way out of proportion and interpreting it in a way that I did not mean it.

If you think you are being misinterpreted then it's probably because you are barely coherent. Look at the direct quote that Cam is posting above.

Pay more attention in English class next time :/

Originally Posted by Valterain1 View Post
This is a debate. Not a fucking flame war. Don't say something if you have nothing intelligent to say.

Wrong, this is a discussion not a debate.

If we banned unintelligent posts this place would be a whole lot more boring.

Originally Posted by Valterain1 View Post
I have to agree and disagree. While it's not the schools responsibility to teach you how to work at mega-corporation for minimum wage, it should be their responsibility to teach you how to find a job, and how to manage your finances once you have acquired said job.
Also. Google may be a resource to find near all answers to your problems, but it's not something that should replace school. Ever.

They do teach that indirectly. Learning how to find a job is as easy as reading a newspaper or doing a google search, which are both easy to do if you've graduated highschool. Similarly, managing finances requires only the most basic of maths. Hell, you could even get by with just addition and subtraction if you really wanted to. However, more advanced "complex versions of math" will help you to manage them better. Unfortunately some people (eg apple) are so incredibly short sighted that they don't realize that, for example, linear algebra might be extremely useful in managing your finances...

And no, google is not a substitute for school, but as I said previously, I am arguing against school being job training, so telling people to google stuff like that doesn't contradict your sentiments.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Many (I'd say most but I have no statistics to prove this at hand) young men and women in high school have absolutely zero clue what they'll end up doing for a living. You can't possibly know what you didn't need to know until much later in life, and at the very least learning something as functional as complicated math makes your everyday math that much easier to do.

If you're counting on 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year olds to confidently choose what they should learn and stick with a program that'll lead to their career, all you cause is great depression as they hit their 20's and realize they want to do something completely different. So yes, the "liberal arts" approach may lead to some "useless" information; however, it teaches you all the possibilities of things you could pursue interest and mastery in. It also prepares you for the most amount of possibilities. Because for something like Engineering, you'd be pretty screwed to decide "Oh yeah I want to do that" if you elected not to take pre-calculus in high school and you're just now catching up in college.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
The point of teaching kids a lot of crap in HS is mainly so they can see what they are good at. You aren't giving any meaningful knowledge to the kids who barely pass their classes, that's why a passing grade requires a lot higher % on tests in Uni than in HS. It's all there to filter people and prepare the better minds for Uni like I've said a few weeks ago.

How is this still going on by the way? Most of you are still in HS, therefore your opinion matters jack shit in the topic.
Last edited by ynvaser; Jul 17, 2015 at 08:07 PM.
Why is a high shcoolers opinion on what schools should be teaching less important than that of someone older never mind "matters jack shit"?

If anything Id say that at this point it affects them more so their say is perhaps more important
Last edited by SmallBowl; Jul 18, 2015 at 12:18 AM. Reason: ?
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
Why is a high shcoolers opinion on what schools should be teaching less important than that of someone older never mind "matters jack shit"?

Because they have no idea why they are learning stuff in the first place. Hindsight helps with that.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
Because they have no idea why they are learning stuff in the first place. Hindsight helps with that.

THIS IS FROM A U.S POINT OF VIEW

If any of the highschoolers (such as my self) payed attention to their parents/older peers/school staff/ or shit, even read threw this thread, then they would have a fair idea as to why "they" are learning it in the first place.

So, from a point of view from a highschooler that understand that highschool is intended not only for basic skills, but also how to apply them through out a wide field, the education system doesn't fit everyone.

So, on a wider scale, I think we need more schools that offer a option between the bureaucratic system and the tracking system. And then, make it one of the things explained to you before you enter highschool. But this could not happen, it would be costly to open up new schools.

So maybe, just maybe, we should use a different system. A tracking system.

And yes, this does answer the "what should schools be teaching?" question.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
In no country do highschoolers have experience with life after highschool...

What is "tracking system" what is "bureaucratic system"?

Explain yourself clearly please.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
In no country do highschoolers have experience with life after highschool...

What is "tracking system" what is "bureaucratic system"?

Explain yourself clearly please.

I said an understanding of what high schools goals are, other than just pushing you out the door.

In short: Bureaucratic school systems standardize everything, their only goal is to have you meet these standards and then push you out the door. It is suppose to be the "efficient" way of running school systems. Thing of it like a factory, pushing out the same product.

Tracking school systems focus on the students. What they aspire doing and what they have skills in. It is much more personal. It normally follows your prior academic achievement, and moves of from their. Are their problems with it? Yea, but their are problems with every system.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post

I know why im learning what im learning, and I know fairly much why I learnt what I did lower down in school.

Its a gross generalisation to say all high schoolers do not know why they are learning and to discount their opinions is wrong
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.