Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Original Post
Ranking Rewards
Ranks where reset today and here are some updates.

Ranking rewards:
#1 globally ranked player at 23.30 CET will receive 2000 TC * day of the month.

Example:
5th of August the reward is 10,000 TC (2,000 TC * 5).
31 of August the reward is 62,000 TC (2,000 TC * 31).

Total amount of TC payed out in August will be 992,000.

Tournament1 to Tournament15 are ranked servers with various mods.

Ranked Black belt servers:
/join ranked2 - Judofrac
/join ranked3 - Lenshu3ng
/join ranked4 - ABD
/join ranked5 - ErthTK
/join ranked6 - Greykido

The GMs and admins will and can experiment with the server setup during the month.

A handy ingame command that list the current top ranked players and their ELO:
/ranking global

View global ranking on the forum:
http://forum.toribash.com/tori_ranking.php?modname=

[Progress 4th Aug]
jack9918 and Zalf have both been on top for the first 4 days.

Zalf has played 116 games as #1
jack9918 has played 141 games as #1

We are keeping track for Elo ranges for future restrictions.
+-----------+---------+
| EloRange | Players |
+-----------+---------+
| 1570-1580 | 3 |
| 1580-1590 | 50 |
| 1590-1600 | 2190 |
| 1600-1610 | 889 |
| 1610-1620 | 54 |
| 1620-1630 | 20 |
| 1630-1640 | 16 |
| 1640-1650 | 8 |
| 1650-1660 | 1 |
| 1660-1670 | 1 |
| 1670+ | 2 |
Last edited by hampa; Aug 4, 2015 at 02:29 PM.
Hi. This thread got out of hand fast.

This isn't about slinging shit at one another. If you have suggestions to make this system better, post them. If you can't make a criticism in a mature manner then you will have your post deleted.
collect snots from the nose
these 2 bans were a bit over top, unless there were posts deleted that can fill the context

anyway,

even thought i absolutely hate and despise drhax wishing him being ran over by truck,

i will agree that in order to establish competative play, there should be matchmaking with clear divisions between players of different elo

we have clan war system with no divisions and it's a living example that top clans earned their rank by farming of noob clans

replace "clan" by "player" to conclude that even with no resets, the system will be flawed.

matchmaking - how and what - another question, if hamps really feel like implementing it, it rather be discuissed separately
Last edited by snake; Aug 5, 2015 at 01:29 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by snake View Post
i will agree that in order to establish competative play, there should be matchmaking with clear divisions between players of different elo

we have clan war system with no divisions and it's a living example that top clans earned their rank by farming of noob clans

replace "clan" by "player" to conclude that even with no resets, the system will be flawed.

matchmaking - how and what - another question, if hamps really feel like implementing it, it rather be discuissed separately

Matchmaking already has a thread in suggestions and ideas

On another note, before saying 1 month is too short, see what the ranking looks like at the end of the month, not 1/6 of the way in.

it is possible that 1 month could be too short, the system isnt going to be optimised on its firat run, think if this as a beta test where the final solution has yet to be realised, personally I think 3 months / 4 months is the right time frame so that the ranking doesnt become lame with 1 person miles ahead but equally it isnt a sprint to get games played while all the newer players have respectable ELOs that large gains can be made from.

TL:DR dont go apeshit about this for a few more months while its tested and improved
+ 3 / 4 month seasons
Last edited by SmallBowl; Aug 5, 2015 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Sucking Fmilies
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by snake View Post

The clan system didn't use ELO so when winning against noobs your rank will increase forever.

If you only play noobs in ELO it will eventually flatten out, doesn't matter if you play a million more games. It will still be the same. Only way to increase the ELO then is to increase your win rate.

Here is a handy chart for you

If you farm noobs (elo 1600) with the following win rate you will flatten out at the following levels.
4/1 1675.50
5/1 1687.47
6/1 1697.23
7/1 1704.48
8/1 1711.95
Last edited by hampa; Aug 5, 2015 at 04:55 AM.
I'm sure you've heard this many times, but I would really appreciate a steady ranked server for wushu, and possibly a tourney. This is my strongest mod, and I am at a disadvantage when it isn't available. Hopefully this will come up enough times to persuade the mod into becoming a competitive mod.
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Match making, random mod out of a competetive list, playing a series of 5 rather than just one match, and longer seasons fixes all of these problems.

I've been trying to figure out how to create a match-making system that would work, but I'm struggling a bit

The main issue is that I don't think many people would want a match-making system to replace ranked servers, as ranked servers are ostensibly a way to play competitively while still being able to chat to your friends, whereas a matchmaking system would have 99% focus on competition. And if we have ranked servers alongside a matchmaking system, people will still be able to noob-farm, so while it would add a nice feature for good players, it wouldn't fix anything to have them side by side

Having said that, I really like your idea of the matchmaking system giving you a random 5 competitive mods to play, and the elo shift is based on who wins the duel, rather than going up and down after every game (since, like you said, winning a singular match in toribash against any player really means nothing). So, I support this idea because it would be a fun feature, but I'm struggling to see how it could fix the rankings without having to remove ranked servers completely.

An idea: ranked servers could only affect your mod ranks, but to change your global rank you have to fight in the matchmaking system? At least this way it could encourage more people to use it, so you won't end up being matched with FistofLife 20x in a row.

Thoughts?

Anyway, I hope things will get better after elo restricted servers are introduced, and if not then we can reevaluate things then. People need to realise this is still the testing phase for the new ranking system and patience would be appreciated while we figure things out (this isn't aimed at you Hax)
one time i had a hair deep in my urethra and when i pulled it out it felt kinda good ~fudgiebalz 2020

<~Skul> they're not children, they're demon midgets
<~Skul> if you kill one in front of the rest, they'll scatter and leave
Moop, I feel like global rank really does mean nothing if you just sit in the aikido ranked lobby and farm all day. That doesn't mean you're good at all competitive mods like a global rank SHOULD mean. Your idea of mod rank only raising /in the ranked public servers/ is a great one, and it gives way for more competition in a more proper way (imho). Matchmaking is not only a fair measure of skill, but it makes fighting more interesting as you won't be fighting that one really good guy every time you get a chance to play.

I'm assuming matchmaking would also function on a bracket basis, so newer members/lower elo members can get a chance to fight players at their own level and improve until they get to higher ranks and brackets. It's kinda like a training program that never ends.
Last edited by Grohenbird; Aug 5, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
I think I might be retired.
there was a cowmeat post in here. just post with an alt instead of using someone else.

wouldnt want to infract this guy if you happen to have him post something infractable
Last edited by siku; Aug 5, 2015 at 07:17 PM.
Originally Posted by Moop View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to create a match-making system that would work, but I'm struggling a bit

The main issue is that I don't think many people would want a match-making system to replace ranked servers, as ranked servers are ostensibly a way to play competitively while still being able to chat to your friends, whereas a matchmaking system would have 99% focus on competition. And if we have ranked servers alongside a matchmaking system, people will still be able to noob-farm, so while it would add a nice feature for good players, it wouldn't fix anything to have them side by side

Having said that, I really like your idea of the matchmaking system giving you a random 5 competitive mods to play, and the elo shift is based on who wins the duel, rather than going up and down after every game (since, like you said, winning a singular match in toribash against any player really means nothing). So, I support this idea because it would be a fun feature, but I'm struggling to see how it could fix the rankings without having to remove ranked servers completely.

An idea: ranked servers could only affect your mod ranks, but to change your global rank you have to fight in the matchmaking system? At least this way it could encourage more people to use it, so you won't end up being matched with FistofLife 20x in a row.

Thoughts?

Anyway, I hope things will get better after elo restricted servers are introduced, and if not then we can reevaluate things then. People need to realise this is still the testing phase for the new ranking system and patience would be appreciated while we figure things out (this isn't aimed at you Hax)

I would also add that tourney servers should realistically be counted as ranked servers and only count to mod rank in this system.

the only problem I could see is its possible that less ranked games would be played and therefore a much longer 'season' is needed to make it calibrate and balance out, I would suggest 6 months for this season.

In addition I think the matchmaking system should, of course, favour putting people of similae Elo togther, but it should not be made exclusively within Elo brackets, as this would make it take a lot longer to find a game which would discourage people from playing, with a properly functioning Elo system with correct gains and losses this should not be a problem either.

I also think the algorithm for calculating Elo should be updated, the Elo system is designed so a 100 Elo difference should result in the higher ranked player winning 64% of games, and 200 Elo difference should result in a 77% (iirc) win rate for the higher ranked player, clearly then this is not what is achieved in the toribash system and therefore the basis of the Elo system is not there, so it is out of calibration and incorrect gains and losses of Elo will be given, which in turn results in incorrect ranking order for the players, it therefore desperately needs an update to the algorithm to work as intended.

^(this is all given I understand the system correctly)^ B^)
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.