Toribash
Originally Posted by jaredvcxz View Post
What's latency and how does it affect ther ram?

I've heard of it but never really understood it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDRAM_latency

google is your friend ;) So is Wikipedia.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
So would a latency of 7 be good for ddr3? I see a lot at 8 and even more at 9

however, I thought any latency disadvantages were outweighed by the higher bandwidth.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by GenkiSudo View Post
Well.... 8GB is a total overkill unless you play 8 modern games at the same time while editing an image at Photoshop and doing some 3D works in 3ds Max lol.

I'm wondering, what are disadvantages of having huge amount of RAM? Something goes crazy fast or maybe computer sucks obscene amounts of energy?

[re] | #Polska
qui hic minxerit aut cacaverit, habeat deos superos et inferos iratos
The only disadvantage now is that it's a waste of money.

But, since games get better and better, thus needing more RAM, 8 gigs will be the recommended in maybe 6-10 years.
i liek turtelz xd

money, energy and time.

@Jtank... None... Unless your computer actually needs to use all of that memory... Unlikely under today's requirements for software.. even the "heaviest" games.

But, since games get better and better, thus needing more RAM, 8 gigs will be the recommended in maybe 6-10 years.

By that time you'll have to buy a new computer to be able to play such games...
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Probably. And by then, the high-powered super expensive cpus and stuff we have now will be dirt cheap and weak.
i liek turtelz xd

Or if they make a crysis 3 in the next 2-4 years.

Fuck that thing is a cpu hog, and I'm running on low settings.

Also, 4 gigs of ram= normal amount for today's games?
"Can't see California with Marlon Brando's eyes"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"She isn't real.... Can't make her real"
Well 2 gigs just seems barely small. Certainly not anywhere close to futureproof to me.
I'd need 4 minimum to feel secure. No experience with if it really is enough.

Also, mixing ram....i know it's not the optimal solution, but suppose I buy 2 gigs at first, and when I want to get the 4 or 6 mire, I can't find the same model from the manufacturer, would similar specs be good enough?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
2GB of ram is good, 4GB is Great, 6GB is perfect, 8GB Meh, More than 12GB... Do not want.

Usually i Perfer DDR3, Their technology is great.