Toribash
Way too dark, no obvious light source. Take a soft white brush and paint gently where you want the main source of light to be, and paint while imagining how the light would glide off of each surface in each image.

Also, @Wo9x, "looks good" is subjective. When everyone views it that way, it can be considered objective.
Hoss.
Uhmm that's exactly what I meant to say. Opinions. I might think its good. You might not.
On a related note. I think its a nice. Simple sig. I personally would ad some lighting effects on the two guys about to duel.
Spooky Scary Skeletons
Originally Posted by ugonadie6 View Post
Ok, I added a pretty good filter render, shaded alot more, and fixed the "blandness" of the picture.

There is a bit more depth, but, look at this glaring problem:

There is no light source. They have shadows. How do they have shadows if there is no light source?
Hoss.
So what do you mean by a light source... As in putting a lighting effect on the two people?

No... Look at the sun. It is a light source. It sends energy in the form of light waves out.

Imagine the sun is in this picture(indoors, it could be a light bulb. At night, it could be the moon/a star/fire), whatever the light source may be, it emits light. The absolute first thing you should do is determine the kind of light source. Then, from that, proceed to create it, and emulate the light waves coming from it. Make sure to get everything, a light source in the top left corner behind the render does NOT only effect that side. Light reflects, don't forget..
Hoss.
looks like a few minutes to me, you should definately take your time on signatures like that.
it just looks like you put a random pic + text + some fx?
Check out my Youtube!
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
No... Look at the sun. It is a light source. It sends energy in the form of light waves out.

Imagine the sun is in this picture(indoors, it could be a light bulb. At night, it could be the moon/a star/fire), whatever the light source may be, it emits light. The absolute first thing you should do is determine the kind of light source. Then, from that, proceed to create it, and emulate the light waves coming from it. Make sure to get everything, a light source in the top left corner behind the render does NOT only effect that side. Light reflects, don't forget..

First off that opener I take as an insult of my knowledge, I am not ignorant...

Secondly the sun would be the main light source of this image, making it a giant light in the sky, that is making the light shine to the left... Do you not see the secondary mans shadow, it is angled to the left and that in my mind this shows that the sun is out of the image and is behind the camera and to the right. A light source dose not always have to be in a image, you could see the rays or just the effects of the rays. The filter is to make the image dirty and hazy, witch makes the world around dark, as in Red Dead in dead eye. Also you wouldn't get any reflections off of anything (except for the ground) because they are in a wide open area.

So what I have done to this image is I have added lighting two both characters sharpened a few things up and added a logo.
>

Last edited by ugonadie6; Aug 30, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

First off that opener I take as an insult of my knowledge, I am not ignorant...

Secondly the sun would be the main light source of this image, making it a giant light in the sky, that is making the light shine to the left... Do you not see the secondary mans shadow, it is angled to the left and that in my mind this shows that the sun is out of the image and is behind the camera and to the right. A light source dose not always have to be in a image, you could see the rays or just the effects of the rays. The filter is to make the image dirty and hazy, witch makes the world around dark, as in Red Dead in dead eye. Also you wouldn't get any reflections off of anything (except for the ground) because they are in a wide open area.

So what I have done to this image is I have added lighting two both characters sharpened a few things up and added a logo.
>

-snip-

You asked me what a light source is. You obviously don't understand how light works, with your description of it. The effect you applied to it is horrific, nothing looks good about it. I was trying to be as helpful as possible, and I understand that the only way for you to understand what I mean is by example.

This one is made by LWafflez, the light source in this is the jellyfish.

See how the light source(entirely made by LWafflez) affects the environment? Lighting is an important part of just about every great signature, and it is a good idea to get a solid grip on the concept of it.

This one is a work of my own, the light source is the sun(I chose this one because it is a good example of light):

Do you see how the light source interacts with the environment? All that is done by using a soft brush to paint white onto it. Having an imagine that is unbearably dull and dark is no good. A light source simply adds an exciting element to it.

Do you understand what I mean now? Its dull without light.
Hoss.