Toribash
At this point, being a hopeful texture artist myself
Its horribly hard to come up with great gorgeous art. You're typically one of two things when you just join this artist area, too scared to make a simple design like a hound's tooth for example, in fear of it have been taken already. With all this tech too, people will ban you just because it has one thing that looks similar to another texture, even though its being used in a different way. However that makes no difference, what the art has turned into on these threads are hodge-podges of shapes and colors and require only symmetry (because that's what everyone wants). Nobody wants anything out of the ordinary or anything that stands out. The abstract works of 'art' tend to have no thought, only something to gain toricredits. While I'm no old-schooler I can say that back then they made sets because the felt like they could make something awesome. FlyingMonk would be a good example, his art, while it pops to the eye its simply shapes with shading and highlights all mashed together. And while I couldn't accomplish the precision of that shading or highlighting, I can tell that they were not made with a true basis of what he was making.
If we go back a bit in the art thread like I've done several times; we see that art was planned, sketched, sketched again, then brought to a computer to be digitally retouched.
Now a days artist just grab pictures and words, crop them out in HD, paste them on white canvases and call them high quality sets.
Its truly unbelievable in my opinion, how lack luster the art thread is now. ;-;
-----
Add on:
Not to mention the set and head ROTATION
Its literally impossible to find any new pieces of art because people now only buy art to sell it again.
I've checked daily for about a week, and all I saw were the same recycled old Advens green plat robot set, 3 unattended head shops, and a few scattered newbie heads floating around.
Nobody makes anything new. Me? I practice, I wear my heads ingame and get CnC from those around me, trying to prepare for the art thread that needs fixing
Last edited by Rust; Nov 3, 2015 at 03:48 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Stay humbility and you will shake it til you make it ;)
Mmm I'm likely just bored
Originally Posted by Gbleek View Post
I'm posting here again because I want to show how bad the problem is. Check these two threads in the art board out.

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=536583
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=527188

Both of these users are looking for high quality art; both have gotten to page 3 and the best posted was an Aveance set that they didn't want because, ironically for the situation of there not being much good NEW, it's been passed around so much. The posts in these threads are slow going and nothing much is getting accomplished. Will they find good quality art? Maybe, there's a good possibility. But the rate at which they will is very slow and there's just.. nothing new going on.

I think that there should be events that encourage texture making to bring up new artists and allow them to realize their abilities / bring back old artists.

Yeah I have realized this too, but that is not truly the problem that we are facing in my opinion. This is just a byproduct of the real problem.
The real problem (in my opinion) is that toribash as of now is in a pretty big slump. Meaning that the community has become very small to the point that events become a competition between 3 or 4 people kinda small.

I see this ingame as well, because many years ago ingame was flooded with people, everyone having a good time the usual stuff. But now the community ingame has gotten stagnant and boring to say the least. And if you look at the number people who are online, you can see its gone down quite a bit if you remember the numbers from past years.

Since the game has gotten so boring, and people have started moving on with their lives there are more people leaving than people coming in. And thus the art among other things in this community have gone down or pale in comparison to things 1-4 years ago. Creating more events will not help the art board in my opinion because our art community is so small, and people won't just magically become interested in art and do amazing sets. It could take years for people to get that good should they start from scratch.

Like Ben had said, I'm guessing the old artists had lost their drive or desire to make good art so making an event would not entice them to come back in the least.

I think hampa needs to address this issue somehow and try and get more people to play this game to add some life into the community. If not it will not just be the art boards that suffer when the predecessors leave it will effect the replay board, video makers, etc.
Last edited by MrJingles; Nov 3, 2015 at 03:29 AM.
\o\ | ORMO | OSHI | OLDA | [duck] | Team Canada | Maple Syrup United | Team Philippines | [UssR] | Anime United | /o/
Originally Posted by MrJingles View Post
I think hampa needs to address this issue somehow and try and get more people to play this game to add some life into the community. If not it will not just be the art boards that suffer when the predecessors leave it will effect the replay board, video makers, etc.

Its not his fault however. The numbers from 2012-2013 were simply because all of those huge youtubers such as NerdCubed, Markiplier, ZeRoyalViking and such played this game. That's when those online numbers hit the 10k's. And its dissapointing honestly. I'm of this new generation and yet I don't know anybody who has the patience or problem solving/logical thinking skill to realize this game's true potential. The only people I could possobly get along with on thos game are those who play the game, see the game as I do, and enjoy the game as a mind boggling puzzle. A game that makes think, react, and challenge another's brain. This would be a great Off-Topic thread, one about how games lack mental stimulation, and ultimately leave people how they started. Games without stories are good, because you challenge yourself yo make that story. This all ties up because its that patience and mental stimulation that leads to great artists. It is truly the genetic fault for leaving this new age so lacking in creativity, and self-control. Blaming genetic make-ups is always hard though, due to it being natural and all that.

By the way I'm 14 ;)
How do we get more new people to play, then? I've gone on chat sites / talked to people on skype and hardly any of them know about Toribash. Maybe.. 1/10 people I talk to know what it is. I'm not sure that making more forum events / competitions would bring people who don't know what Toribash is in. Would we truly have to do something stupid like advertise the game to somebody like PewDiePie? Would we want to do that? Does Hampa even have the budget to do any kind of big advertising on this game? Would Toribash 5.0 bring people in?
Originally Posted by Gbleek View Post
How do we get more new people to play, then? I've gone on chat sites / talked to people on skype and hardly any of them know about Toribash. Maybe.. 1/10 people I talk to know what it is. I'm not sure that making more forum events / competitions would bring people who don't know what Toribash is in. Would we truly have to do something stupid like advertise the game to somebody like PewDiePie? Would we want to do that? Does Hampa even have the budget to do any kind of big advertising on this game? Would Toribash 5.0 bring people in?

Yeah I'm not totally sure on the budget that nabi has since toribash is its only game I'm not sure what their revenue is.

But really I'm at a loss for what we could do, unless hampa pays big bucks to put an advertisement on youtube like evony did (should be less click-baity though).

The thing is that toribash only sticks with like 2 out of every 10 people because its so unique. Best we could do is get our friends to play with us because the ship's sinking.
\o\ | ORMO | OSHI | OLDA | [duck] | Team Canada | Maple Syrup United | Team Philippines | [UssR] | Anime United | /o/
Originally Posted by MrJingles View Post
Yeah I'm not totally sure on the budget that nabi has since toribash is its only game I'm not sure what their revenue is.

But really I'm at a loss for what we could do, unless hampa pays big bucks to put an advertisement on youtube like evony did (should be less click-baity though).

The thing is that toribash only sticks with like 2 out of every 10 people because its so unique. Best we could do is get our friends to play with us because the ship's sinking.

So.. This game is going to slowly die? I know all games do, but I feel like this one should be timeless. There's nothing else like it.
I honestly can't say
This game was huge at a Swede video game annoucement convention. In my opinion this was a great idea for a game. And yet at the same time, it requires so much time, that may be why its not popular. From what I can tell with my friends, they tend to enjoy fast-paced games that anyone can just learn and become decent at, this game here requires a few good years (as shown by those actually posting here) in order to really understand it. When you ask a 11-13 age group to play a game of simple game of solitaire, most will respond "what's that?", and when told rules, will ask why they need to play such a stupid game.
Me, I could grab a sudoku puzzle, crossword, or wordsearch and have just as much fun with it as someone who plays CoD non-stop. Call me a nerd but I'd prefer book over GTA
I don't think it will die until hampa pulls the plug, but things will probably get quieter.

In my opinion of course
I mean, it somehow happened to Minecraft, a game so popular just about everyone had it at least once. Runescape, WoW,
It happened to all of those, it may here too...just wish it would hold out for a little bit longer
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I mean, it somehow happened to Minecraft, a game so popular just about everyone had it at least once. Runescape, WoW,
It happened to all of those, it may here too...just wish it would hold out for a little bit longer

It could last until the end of time if hampa lets it, but if we managed to gain a larger pool of users we could do so much with the influx of talent, ideas, revenue, etc. This is why smart game developers have the best advertising.