Ranking
We can do a discussion about Chicken, point is he always seems to get a stupid remark in his posts, a useless one. That makes him come over as stupid which makes me think of his critique as less valuable.
You're entirely right about good criticizers don't have to be great artist, I completely agree.
I hope I explained myself now.

You're making sense. I'm probably a bit weird, seeing as I see my emotions different than the rest does.

About the rules of thirds:

I am a big hater of the "You have to use rules of thirds otherwise your picture is boring" hype.
People are trained to like pictures made with the rules of thirds. While I agree that some work is improved by doing this method, I refuse to use it in all my work.
Lately I've been doing quite a few center focused work and I do enjoy the empty places at the top.
While you are semi-right, some pictures can be improved with the rules of thirds, it was my choice not to use it.

I agree with you about the colors. The reason I added the green and blue is because I wanted to use a greater spectrum,
I thought it was a bit boring without it.

I'll take this critique into my next piece, I appreciate it Pate.
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
Originally Posted by AlphasoniK View Post
I appreciate the comments.

But I think chicken89 should learn a bit about constructive criticism.
You are always negative, even though the work you do yourself is definitely far from perfect.
Also, why the stupid "also... glad to see you have the same feelings the 99% of world population experience quite often in life." It makes 0% sense and makes you look stupid.
Most of your posts do. Thought I'd give you an heads up, please bring the trolls to fight me now.

You really need to get your head out of godmode.

BenDover:

I really don't see victory in there.
But I'll see what I can do to make it look like an enigma some more.

actually from what i saw until now is that you getting to upset about chriticism and you dont even apreciate them as you did with your logo.
Yes It was indeed provocatory my "nice to see you are human".

I dont really care if you consider me a good or not artist.. the fact is that im trying to explaying you things.
I may troll sometime on really clear troll art around here in the forum but you put it down as my posts alre useless crap is a bit over raging.

If you post here you gotta know you have to deal with different expression of chriticism. I dont think i said something stupid in my chritic... I didnt say "put ponies in it!".
I just tried to make you understand that the work doesnt pass the message you want to pass.

Im not a god, you might have see me like a damn cocky fagget but Im not feeling better than you, but perhaps I observed your work better than you did or from a better point of view (an extraneous point of view).. and yeah I post a lot of crappy work around I totally know that. all the work im posting are my personal experiments. Because art is that sometime. You inprove your self by trying and trying new stuff different things and techniques.

too more time you demostrate to be really stubborn and uncapable to take well some chriticism. I have problems too sometime.. they say "the frame it to big" and i am like "fuck the frame im not interested in what u think about the frame... thats the last thing u need to watch". But after a while i learned to take chriticism and learn from others point of views.
Now the first thing im trying when i paint something is to think how an extraneous could see the work.
sometime the piece of art became too personal for you, and many make the mistake to believe there are things in it that are like they wanted to be but those things be percepted from a 3rd ppl in totally different way.

Emotions. Use them... get carried away.. if you are in pain... put that pain on the canvans.. dont fucking use logic
-----
People are trained to like pictures made with the rules of thirds.

also... not really true... actually it works in a more primitive way than just being contaminated from others...

its like using the right colors..

somehow colors have all a different impact on us because they are deeply connected with experiences that usually anyone do in life or even more deeply radicated in our instincts. Even animals react in different way at different colors.... some insect or animal use that as defence. Or for recognize if something is dangerous.

colors forms shapes... its all connected and all in different ways can give out different sensations

Im just trying to give you inputs because its wrong to say: "Hey Alphagget! use more blue or cold colors, take of the lines or make them less straight.. add more shit in it or take it off, make the grain more big and less noisy put some stuff that look like an actual star" (just examples)... because its your piece of art... you should get at those points by your own and decide to modify it..

I probably made tons of gram. mistakes.. but I hope you could understand me..

If you think I dont know what Im talking about or I said something wrong just tell me.
forgive this stupid chicken
Last edited by Chikin; Mar 8, 2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Concerning the Art:
Stop trying to justify the noise. It's very distracting to what can be a good piece, I like the image and it looks like it can be going to a good place, but the noise just takes it to a different level completely. It makes it look like a bunch of vectors stenciled over sand paper. I guess I like the idea, it could look very good and deep, but seeing the picture without seeing any explanation or title makes me think you were going for a poster of a surfer walking to the beach. Also the brightness doesn't give off the idea at all, and just putting a black vector of a person in with noisy lines and colors won't make someone think of the universe. So bottom line is, the image could be good without the noise and random lines/random colors here and there, but for the idea, the image doesn't fit it at all and you should reconsider what you were going for here.
Concerning your attitude:
For the last couple of art pieces you've made, it seems like you're just posting in a forum so people can speak highly of your work. Why are you making this art? So people can just praise you for it? Or are you trying to make a piece that makes a person stop and think, and you want to get it to it's most perfect point possible. I would listen to the ones who comment on your art, for it can open your eyes to see things you didn't see before, and it may make it seem worse or may make it seem better, but you have to try it out before bashing it. I was reading Chicken's comment on this and it described exactly what I feel, so try it out. Also stop looking down on people as lowers like you are at Chicken, you didn't give BenD or Pate this type of attitude when he critiqued your work. Finally, everyone is narcissistic about their work, it's theirs, they're allowed to be, but listen to others for it's not just you who is looking at your art, not everyone is going to know the back story behind the piece, or see what you see. Once again the bottom line is, take other people's considerations and critiques as help instead of insults, and don't be an asshole to someone trying to help you.
Welp, hope this doesn't offend you.
I wasn't going to comment originally because giving contructive criticism based on the first post is pretty hard. It would basically have been, "Oh, I like this.. Oh, this looks weird..." etc.
With expressionistic art (just going to categorize this for the sake of discussion) you can't focus on aesthetics (other than the basics of course) so it's all about meanings, feelings, and such. A good expressionist piece should relate these things to the viewer automatically. Yours doesn't.

So that's all just general stuff, let's get into your piece and explain away some of the explanations you've given.
Noise+colors are supposed to represent the universe.
Noise = stars etc.

It's supposed to give an eerie/dense feel Bend, it's called Enigma for a reason.
The universe is puzzling, we don't know a lot about it.

You can't really represent the colors of the universe... if you did it would probably be black.
Noise doesn't necessarily equal stars. Taking examples from actual star maps would have helped relate to that. You've oversimplified something to the point where it's meaningless.
This isn't a very dense piece at all. As for being "eeire" your color choice is off... peaches/tans aren't very eerie and they have a larger portion of the art than the blues/greens/purples/blacks do.
You could have conveyed puzzling better. Right now it's more confusing than anything, especially after your explanations.
I'm still searching for a lot of things, I've got a lot of uncertainties.

Having the person's back facing the viewer was a good choice to convey this, although it could have been executed better.
You're making sense. I'm probably a bit weird, seeing as I see my emotions different than the rest does.

Emotions are universal. That's the point.

As for my critique, in the future you should think about the emotions you want to express and then stick with them. For example, if you want something to be perplexing don't use a bunch of straight lines meeting at 90 degree angles.

I hope you get it now, and hopefully you'll be able to figure things out.
Chicken:
I understand you now. I simply felt annoyed because of the stupid remark and the past posts of you. If you put it this way it's way more clear to me. I also value the time you take to criticize every work I make.
It's just as I said, the remark put me off. I'm not bashing your work or anything, I meant to say that the "I am a graphic god" attitude you gave me was misplaced.
Or I simply took it the wrong way.

Galard:
I explained why I acted that way to Chicken about 3 times now.
Thanks for the critique.

Me:
Thanks, great explanation. Although I don't think emotions are universal, I think everyone feels them in a different way, but I guess I see what you're going at.
You mean that there's a general way to portray them.

Point is, I struggle hard to keep my work original.
Due to school I have so little time for this that all my work seem rushed.
I'm really down to the point that I think all my work is shit and I cannot seem to be pleased about my work.
I try so hard but all the time I put it seems to get pushed outside the window and vanish.

It's so hard to find a style, or even an emotion to portray that I feel comfortable with.

After 3 years I still struggle to make work better than mediocre, time for a game changer perhaps.
I'm an artist.
I'm really down to the point that I think all my work is shit and I cannot seem to be pleased about my work.
I try so hard but all the time I put it seems to get pushed outside the window and vanish.

It's so hard to find a style, or even an emotion to portray that I feel comfortable with.

After 3 years I still struggle to make work better than mediocre, time for a game changer perhaps.

You think too much.
I don't know you but I used to do a lot of what you're doing. I'd start something and wouldn't show it to others unless I thought it was good and my standards were always too high. So either I would forget about it/delete it or I would obsess over it until I decided to release it to the public. When I showed off things and they got ripped apart I just learned to defend myself and what I've made. Although that made me a fucking great bullshitter it really didn't help me improve at all. I'm not saying that you should try every bit of criticism anyone has ever given you but you should be open to weighing the goods and bads of it. In order to progress you need to try everything. Artists like Dali and Picasso didn't start out doing what they're famous for... in fact they made some pretty shitty paintings. That's the point. In art you can't have quality without quantity. Even if you don't show the things you make to others, keep making them.

If you just like... choose a style and then make pieces based on that you're doing it wrong. Do what comes easy and naturally and then try and perfect it. Experimentation and experience is what gives you style.
Yeah I'm experimenting, that's what I said, I'm trying to find a style.
It takes so much energy to keep trying to change how I work.
But you're right, I do want to continue this road and I will keep making "art".

I'm a bit in a downward spiral with my work, rushing things then leaving them to rot.

You're helping Me, thanks.
I'm an artist.

you had amazing original style and way of doing things with the way you were working with the bass head texture and the heart drawing, because you kept it to the basics.
i feel you're putting too much emphasis on learning new things to get better. you're working backwards on the thinking process. start small and work bigger.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Chicken:
I understand you now. I simply felt annoyed because of the stupid remark and the past posts of you. If you put it this way it's way more clear to me. I also value the time you take to criticize every work I make.
It's just as I said, the remark put me off. I'm not bashing your work or anything, I meant to say that the "I am a graphic god" attitude you gave me was misplaced.
Or I simply took it the wrong way.

Galard:
I explained why I acted that way to Chicken about 3 times now.
Thanks for the critique.

Me:
Thanks, great explanation. Although I don't think emotions are universal, I think everyone feels them in a different way, but I guess I see what you're going at.
You mean that there's a general way to portray them.

._. once again you calling my remarks stupid... thanks.. I can just remember I gave remarks of a hardly readable logo out of your works. And I dont remember saying things that doesnt make a sense there and I really cant undestand why you feel like anyone is being cocky to you....when you are the one who dear to call stupid some constructive and good chriticism.

I got problems whit my keyboards... i may add something later
I was actually trying to be kind to you Chicken.
Read it again, you might understand it then ;]

I'd prefer if we could keep the discussion to the work of art.

I'll try BenD, I really enjoyed the heart I made.
I'm an artist.