Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Thanks for all of the replies! Especially you really good people! This community is awesome, the really good people are usually helping the not as good people. Everyone seems humble in this community, and that's really cool. Of course there are some douches here but we can ignore them. Once again, thanks, stay coll
Hey there

well I have been here for a little while, and I can say with the utmost certainty that whenever I have an idea for a replay it will never go exactly as planned. The reason for this is that at times, what you originally wanted to do has become extremely hard to pull off, and then there are also times where you have those light bulb moments and think of something to put instead.

For me, I usually have no plan of what to do for the replay and just improvise everything after the opener. Although keep in mind, I do have to do constant editing until I get everything just the way I want it. And at many times, the improvised idea will be a lot better than the original idea itself! I know many replay makers who wanted to go for a normal kick but ended up with a 5 piece boom hit instead and just went with it.

Also in every game, not excluding toribash, you'll probably find some toxic attitudes, but just try and ignore them or join a different server, because really you shouldn't have someone getting in the way of your fun when playing especially when you are just starting out because it is probably the hardest part. It will all get easier as you keep playing though, so good luck and have fun man. o7
\o\ | ORMO | OSHI | OLDA | [duck] | Team Canada | Maple Syrup United | Team Philippines | [UssR] | Anime United | /o/
To be honest I don't ever plan out my replays I just kinda go with whatever's happening and sometimes I make something awesome...then again I've only been here for 3 years I suck
I make replays, and I'm nowhere near as far off as I want to be. When I start a replay I have a certain idea in mind and I attempt to accomplish it, it almost Never works out. Toribash is mostly about improving upon what you started upon Imo.
Have a great day, thanks for looking at this post I guess.
cnc is an endangered resource
Well, it isn't easy at all. You got to find what your good at and something you take interest in. It will be hard or it will flow. Regardless, it will take work.
Chickster: I literally don't know why I did it.
Honestly, you can do pretty much anything with the game's engine.
Possibly the only thing that is still a big hindrance is the limit of general objects, dynamic objects, and shapes of objects. Maybe the fact that only the version 3.72 handles 4 players as well.

Usually I plan out my realistic replays, from start to end.
If I get a better idea along the way I do adapt though.
There's no guarantee when you start a replay that your initial plan was the best route after all.

Overall it's a matter of how much experience you have.

Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
So far I have not been able to develop a moonwalk because of this.

Jaker has done the first part of a moonwalk incredibly well, I don't know if he ever finished that replay but it seemed like a valid proof of concept.
It looked immensely diffucult though, but certainly possible.

Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
Another problem is that in real life out arms have a greater range or movement than in toribash (shoulder is actually a ball joint capable of moving in lots of directions). You can't spin your arms in the same way as you can in toribash.

This actually can be done in Toribash. It is a bit complicated but can be done with some replay-hacking experience.
You can even spin any joint in any axis, but that is limited for singleplayer because it's heavily hack based.

Honestly, at this point for the highest of tiers of replay-makers (and by that I mean NutHug) there are only a few things that can't be done. Even super-powers and summons are possible, because hacking enables most of the thing that you rule out as impossible for your first years of replay-making.

If the general public had a menu, or a third-party program to do the laborious parts of replay-hacking it would be hugely easier though, because right now there are many things that simply take too much effort to achieve without those means.
We're still kids in buses longing to be free.
Oblivion I have a few questions about your post.
Was any sort of modding or hacking used in the moonwalk you say Jaker made or was it just standard toribash tricking settings?

How important is planning in determining the quality of a replay for you? How big would the difference be between a planned and improvised replay?

Do you ever suffer from a sort of writers block with replay making where you can't come up with any new ideas? Have you ever (as an experienced replay maker) wanted to do something in the game which has turned out to be impossible for you to do (or that you would need to take a very long time to develop) or do you generally have the skill to complete most new ideas with relative ease?

Thank you.
Good morning sweet princess
We might be diverting a bit from the topic, but it still sounds like you're asking about part of the limits of the game so I'll answer.

Jaker's replay was with pure tricking settings. I don't think he ever hacks or mods.

For me specifically, planning has a lot of relevance since I usually plan to out-do myself in every replay. It's the difference of actually producing something that has a good impact instead of something that is just another replay.
That is inherent to my playstyle though. Planning doesn't determine the quality of a replay for a lot of brilliant replay-makers that I know who just go with the flow and improvise.

About the writer's block, I hardly ever lack ideas. I do lack the will do accomplish them most of the time though.

About the "something that turned out to be impossible for you": Yep.
I stopped making replays often a long time ago because I decided to focus on a single replay. At that time the objects cap was at 16 and there was a movement limit of 255 movements in a single replay file though, amongst other problems. Life became more and more hectic and I never had the skill to finish it properly.
Now the replay is around 4000 frames and I doubt I'll ever finish it.
We're still kids in buses longing to be free.
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
We might be diverting a bit from the topic, but it still sounds like you're asking about part of the limits of the game so I'll answer.

Jaker's replay was with pure tricking settings. I don't think he ever hacks or mods.

For me specifically, planning has a lot of relevance since I usually plan to out-do myself in every replay. It's the difference of actually producing something that has a good impact instead of something that is just another replay.
That is inherent to my playstyle though. Planning doesn't determine the quality of a replay for a lot of brilliant replay-makers that I know who just go with the flow and improvise.

About the writer's block, I hardly ever lack ideas. I do lack the will do accomplish them most of the time though.

About the "something that turned out to be impossible for you": Yep.
I stopped making replays often a long time ago because I decided to focus on a single replay. At that time the objects cap was at 16 and there was a movement limit of 255 movements in a single replay file though, amongst other problems. Life became more and more hectic and I never had the skill to finish it properly.
Now the replay is around 4000 frames and I doubt I'll ever finish it.

Would you care to show it to us? I'm really interested in watching the rep.

Do you believe that 1v1v1v1(4vs) player matches can be a nice addition to replay making?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people
Hamsters ♥ Eternally proud to be Fyre ♥