Toribash
Its not just adding more colors, but adding colors that fit what you're trying to do and that fit between other colors on your palatte. You should start by making a lighter and darker variant of each of the colors you did on your original color step. And make sure you use a semi-transparent brush so smoothing them out later is easy.

The biggest difference between 5 and 6 is that there are no empty spaces. I've left nothing white. It takes a lot of time to do this, but it takes less with practice.

As for Smoothing...

If you've been using CS4, theres a handy brush setting called Color Dynamics. If you've got a touchpad, you can set the color jitter Control to follow the pressure of your stylus. This is great for blending everything together, and gives you amazing control. If you don't have a touchpad, set it to Fade, and it'll take a bit more practice. You'll also have to fiddle with the settings more often, to get that precise gradient you want. Set the Brightness jitter to a low (2-8%) amount. This will help you achieve a textured look.

The fade allows you to have a nice smooth gradient and smooth out the differences between colors. You'll also use a weak blur tool to really get those gradients just the way you want them. I'm not sure how to do it with gimp... Try getting as many bands of subtly changing colors and blur them together.

This step is going to take even more time than step 6.

Also, if you want to pm me the texture i'll take a look at it and offer some more tips... don't post it here though in case some idiot tries to steal it

EDIT: Added to main page
Last edited by HedHuntr; Jun 12, 2010 at 03:53 AM.
Katana League
The Aikido Team
does it work for photoshop or not really?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OLDA YEA COO' KIDSUPEBAD FAN AND ETC

You`d usually think youd see 2 or 3 hookers a day. but nyou don`t. thats why we have strip clubs