Toribash
Alright, I was going to make a mass quote but these are the recurring themes I've been seeing in the discussion against internet friends. All of your posts seem to revolve around cultural standards, be it the physical interaction, the validity of their identity, I think someone mentioned internet friends serving the function of killing boredom (I'm not sure what you hold your real life friends accountable for but hey). In a nutshell, you all seem to think internet friends aren't friends "'cause that's what I heard".

Honestly, that's bollocks. I'm going to take bishopONE as an example here. I met him about four years ago and I believe we've talked almost every single day over msn since (no, skype isn't better, shut up). We created inside jokes, have pretty much identical interests at this point, and know almost everything about each other IRL. He's one of my best friends, there's a very tiny list of people in this world that I appreciate as much as him and I have a pretty broad social life so that statement means something. What I'm trying to say here is that I feel virtually no distinction between him and, say, Bob across the street, and am actually given the ability to communicate better with him through a computer than I could through speech and physical interaction.

Through and through, social stigmas on internet friendships are baseless and extremely wrong, nothing stops a person from making a friend without ever physically meeting them, and to quote Nelson Rodrigues, every unanimity is dumb.

Pfft, I trust no one with my life, humans are frail, fickle creatures, and I don't trust any of them to that extent

On a side note, Zayex is an idiot.
<&Fish>: did you just infract the toribot?
<&Fish>: you're fired
<JSnuffMARS> sounds like a drug-addiction or mastu(I'll censor that word)
<bishopONE>: also yeah fisting
<mwah> Gynx is it true you got admin over hero because hes from pakistan
Well, if you talk to them on skype alot, you can call them real friends since you can see them, hear them, and do shit toghter over a camera.
X|Twitter: @YRBWrld |-| FB: @YRBWrldFP
Discord: Discord Me
Originally Posted by sid View Post

Don't quote my sarcasm, actually read my massive wall of text.

Also yeah, sid's post doesn't involve me, since I said the exact opposite of what he was trying to prove wrong, so no one lob me in with the other ignorant people in the upcoming posts.

Also, major deja vu.
-----
Originally Posted by DeakManiac View Post
Well, if you talk to them on skype alot, you can call them real friends since you can see them, hear them, and do shit toghter over a camera.

Read my massive wall of text :<
Last edited by Zayex; Jan 7, 2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma
What's your audience? My example applies to anyone with a healthy enough social life, the opposite of that crowd being the antisocial people you yourself aren't referring to.

I see where you're going with this, a regular person would prefer a "real" relationship over a virtual relationship with the same person, but it's not that black and white. Friends that I have in real life do not know how to behave in a virtual conversation the same way as the virtual people I've had the pleasure of meeting IRL behaved differently than I'm accustomed to IRL but that's about as relevant as a language barrier. Would I prefer talking to Francois over having a chat with Frank? Not necessarily. In your mind the method of communication matters whereas in my mind the method of communication is nothing more than the tool to share your thoughts and expressions. Your thoughts and expressions would therefore determine if I like you or not, and based on that nothing stops me from making friends AND enjoying their interactions more in the computer than in a verbal dialogue, or vice versa.
<&Fish>: did you just infract the toribot?
<&Fish>: you're fired
<JSnuffMARS> sounds like a drug-addiction or mastu(I'll censor that word)
<bishopONE>: also yeah fisting
<mwah> Gynx is it true you got admin over hero because hes from pakistan
Originally Posted by DeakManiac View Post

Even if I weren't to see them or specifically hear them even, I'd still call them friends.

I've never had a camera call with Uric, but through toribash - and facebook as an extension - I've become pretty close with him. Like sid and Bish, we share a lot of interests and frequently speak despite timezones. We've helped each other through some tough times too. Hell, I'd rank him among my best mates to be honest.
Take that with a pinch of salt, my social life isn't huge, but the point holds true.

I've skyped quite a few people; Numbers, Leilak, Uric(as mentioned), Notnoob, Slycooper, the list goes on (and Tamer0 on Numbers' stream show).
Even if i hadn't, I think I'd rank some of my fellow Urbanites among my good friends.

My point is that to say these people aren't your friends because you haven't seen their face or heard their voice is ridiculous.

I'm very much with sid on this.
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
Originally Posted by Zayex View Post
tl;dr you can't get the same experience with online friends as you can with real life friends (assuming your example online and real life friend are similar, and neither one will give you reason to go to the other).

absolutley disagree with this.

u can make the same experience just over another way.

in real life u go out and make some shit on the street, some pranks with people etc.

in the virtual, u just do shit in the internet? ull register at some funny websites and just sent links to each other and laugh about it.

i would even say, that i made more such experiences with virtual friends then with real friends. they were alot funnier.
yes, i did read your "wall of text" and i have to say. alot of crap stands there.

also, u asked "would u either talk to a person in irl or internet?" well, this is depending, but for me is there no diffrence. i would talk to people in irl the same way i would talk to them online.

"I can type like a grammatically incorrect dumb blonde slut, and make up things about my life. Then I can chat with people on the internet for a year. Do they actually know jack shit about me? Nope."
this is your fault then. there really some people outside, which are really the person theyre talking about. i know they could be another person but u have just to trust them, if u talk alot to them u will trust them.. so just dont mind about this and have fun with it.
i even would chat with someone who isnt hiself, as long i have fun with this guy. so there is absolutley no problem for me, or im just open to the world in that direction... so..

also why do people always complain skype with voice and camera chat?
id use skype since a few years and never used it really for voice or camera chat, just chatted as itself. but best prog. is still ICQ....
Parrot | Tabby | Nike | [Midnight] | Foxy | Deridor | Joel

Helping admins since 2013 (Can't ya'll leave this alone?)
Reta's Bitch, Property of Kriegery, Bribed by Bird, Tinerr 4 President.
Awaken, awaken, awaken, awaken. Take the land, that must be taken. Awaken, awaken, awaken, awaken. Devour worlds, smite forsaken
Zayex, unlike virtual friendships, virtual sarcasm does not work too often. Stop trying to be sarcastic on the 'netz.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
I'd consider most of the people I interacted quite a bit with on tb as a friend. Mostly through LoL though.
I R IRONMAN
My point is, unless you can actually "see" and "interact with" a person, it doesn't necessarily feel as "real" as it could.

That is your problem.
I can type like a grammatically incorrect dumb blonde slut, and make up things about my life. Then I can chat with people on the internet for a year. Do they actually know jack shit about me? Nope.

> implying I have to know stuff about someone in order to be friends with them
Humans are social creatures, while the internet may be a more convenient means of social interaction, "real life" socialization has a better feel to "virtual" socialization.

Your argument is based on wishy-washy personal feelings.
So here's this: As fantastic as your online friends may be, and as shitty as your real friends may be, it's better to at least videochat an online friend, let alone meet them irl -- as opposed to just typing and never seeing or hearing them.

Why? Why is that better? What kind of shallow fuck are you that you can only make friends with people after you have approved their visual appearance and voice?
[QUOTE=Zayex;6184219]Which one is better? (unless you have some shyness problem or something, then your word doesn't count).[/URL]
Are you crazy? They are clones. Ignoring that their experiences will be different, there is no difference to personality.
Even with my IRL friends I talk to them online as often as I do IRL. Hell, once you leave school you will find that a lot of your friends will move away to other countries, and your "real life friends" will become "online friends". It makes absolutely 0 difference.

Originally Posted by sid View Post

^ This, Zayex needs to stop acting like an emo technophobe.

tl;dr online friends and IRL friends are interchangeable so it is pointless to discuss which is better.