Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
Well, in this case any mod with grabbing favors a "grab and never let go" strategy among all else, which generally ends up with much randomness and retarded stiff looking contortionism.

Striking mods (no grab) and particulary wushu, as snake said, have the highest skill cap among all mods. Good players catch up with runners, dodge or block openers, and players who wait in a corner would most likely end up pushed out of the ring.

"Grab and never let go" strategy? You are aware of the plethora of options you have available to you after a grab, right?

And I fail to see how striking mods have the highest skill cap, maybe you can elaborate more on that. Because all I see is hitting and running at its best. Sure you can look fancy if you choose to and abide to the fantastical "honor code", but that doesn't change the fact that a "hit and run (and then legcamp)" strategy is the most effective strategy there is to that type of mod.

Aikido big dojo (maybe even original aikido as well) has to have the highest skill cap of any mod so far. The sole reason is because your opponent's movements and momentum have a such huge effect on your tori that you have to actually take into account what you think your opponent might do when deciding what joints to move. And lot of the time if you guess wrong, you could end up in a disadvantageous position in an instant.
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."
Originally Posted by DaNooB23 View Post
"Grab and never let go" strategy? You are aware of the plethora of options you have available to you after a grab, right?

And I fail to see how striking mods have the highest skill cap, maybe you can elaborate more on that. Because all I see is hitting and running at its best. Sure you can look fancy if you choose to and abide to the fantastical "honor code", but that doesn't change the fact that a "hit and run (and then legcamp)" strategy is the most effective strategy there is to that type of mod.

Aikido big dojo (maybe even original aikido as well) has to have the highest skill cap of any mod so far. The sole reason is because your opponent's movements and momentum have a such huge effect on your tori that you have to actually take into account what you think your opponent might do when deciding what joints to move. And lot of the time if you guess wrong, you could end up in a disadvantageous position in an instant.

whats easiler? to learn how to throw in aikido or how to comeback in wushu? the answer is obvious: it's rather easy to learn how to throw, yet it's still quite rare skill considering how large so called competative player base around.

being able to stop or redirect momentum and launch precise comebacks avoiding dq takes way more skill and way more practice than any element of aikido. not even talking about forethought since to observe it you need to play wushu on improv level already, yet there are just a few people who actually have this skill.

abd and overall aikido have the lowest skill cap of all mods. may be not the exacly the lowest but something after twinswords and jousting. it's just a score/dm race.

and no, this is not a claim of wushu player who have no idea what aikido is, but someone who play aikido quite awhile.

ah and a bit offtopic: there are just 3 freehand strategies in abd/aikido with dms - decap, low grab (hook) or turnover ( it's when you travel opponent over while standing one am on ground ) and hats pretty much it.

and what the hell is leg camp? can you enlight me about this term?
Last edited by snake; Jul 26, 2013 at 01:56 PM.

I've summarised grabbing mods the same way you summarised striking mods, that was sarcastic.

That is because you don't know anything about striking mods so you're probably too low skilled in those to see all the depth (no offence). It's not about a "honor code", not running in tournament is a rule, like you don't hit bellow the belt or chew some ear on a ring irl.
And "legcamp" only work against nubs.

I propose something : you seem to have played abd or aikido quite a lot since it seems to be your favorite mods, I've only played it at most a dozen time. I propose we meet ingame to have a few friendly fights in both wushu & aikido (or abd as you wish) to see which mod is the hardest to handle for someone who doesn't play it. PM me if you're interested ;p
Originally Posted by snake View Post
whats easiler? to learn how to throw in aikido or how to comeback in wushu? the answer is obvious: it's rather easy to learn how to throw, yet it's still quite rare skill considering how large so called competative player base around.

I don't know exactly what type of throw you're referring to but I'll give you that one. Its a lot easier to learn how to throw than to make a comeback. But heres the part you're not getting:

Throws, along with every other move in aikido, can be countered/prevented. Once you're facing someone who knows how to counter every move you do, what do you do?

Its learning what to do AFTER you've learned all of the moves possible in aikido that makes it have a higher skill cap.

Originally Posted by snake View Post
and what the hell is leg camp? can you enlight me about this term?

Theres no real term for it but thats what I refer to it as. Pretty much when you keep your head and chest away from your opponent and keep your legs facing them while staying in one spot.

That is because you don't know anything about striking mods so you're probably too low skilled in those to see all the depth (no offence). It's not about a "honor code", not running in tournament is a rule, like you don't hit bellow the belt or chew some ear on a ring irl.

You're right. I probably am too low skilled in striking mods (the only striking mod that I care about nowadays is ninjutsu) but that doesn't make anything that I've said any less true. There is little to no depth to striking mods when it comes to playing it competitively. As in "playing to win."

When you're playing to win, the only rules you should care about (unless you want to handicap yourself) are the ones set up by the mod, not the community. And guess what the "honor code" is.. A bunch of rules set up by the community.

I propose something : you seem to have played abd or aikido quite a lot since it seems to be your favorite mods, I've only played it at most a dozen time. I propose we meet ingame to have a few friendly fights in both wushu & aikido (or abd as you wish) to see which mod is the hardest to handle for someone who doesn't play it. PM me if you're interested ;p

I don't play either abd, aikido or wushu anymore. Hell, I barely play Toribash now but sure I guess. Maybe in a few days.
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."
You're right. I probably am too low skilled in striking mods (the only striking mod that I care about nowadays is ninjutsu) but that doesn't make anything that I've said any less true. There is little to no depth to striking mods when it comes to playing it competitively. As in "playing to win."

When you're playing to win, the only rules you should care about (unless you want to handicap yourself) are the ones set up by the mod, not the community. And guess what the "honor code" is.. A bunch of rules set up by the community.

I strongly disagree, the rules you should care about on a competitive level are the rules set by the event you compete in ! As in any combat sport rules have changed and evolved through time, and they're set by the official associations/communities of each sport.

That gave me a brand new idea, I'll post in suggestion. But basically, to be on the e-sport scene, maybe toribash should re-think the "win system" in a more traditionnal fighting game way :
In every fighting games the players have a life-bar, you lose if it gets empty. Toribash is based on time, that's what is favorising the "hit & run" strategy. In a traditionnal fighting game that would be equal to land the first punch and jump around for the rest of the fight, anyone know that would be silly.
Maybe a fight should be made of a few rounds, you start every new round with the past damages you received in the previous one until your damage/point bar is full (or life bar is empty). This way you couldn't win by avoiding the fight, which is pretty silly for a fighting game.
points system, yes, rounds. it will make toribash way more deep. let's say if opponent was wrestled down in dojo and touched dojo with head you get 5 points, if opponent step out of dojo you get 1 point, if he dq by shoulder you recieve 2 points. for aikido mods. so matches results will be recorded with scores like 2-5 etc

i would love to have such a system. it's close to real thing, but the problem is playerbase the skill level and maturity.

i wish there were active game devs who would give a fuck about tb, but sadly hamp doesn't.

tons of possibilities to bring more serious competition in game, yet you know. abandoned game is abandoned.
Last edited by snake; Jul 26, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
I think the most fair mods are wushu, you have enough time to comeback, there is such thing as fucked up things like hit run then get into a position so when he comebacks you hit run and repeat that

But if you are good enough you can actually see what he is trying to do and just dodge, block, etc

Aikido.tbm is also a fair mod, shovels are suppose to be easily countered, such as lift kicks, lifts, etc
I'm ready for my daily dose of cringe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I strongly disagree, the rules you should care about on a competitive level are the rules set by the event you compete in ! As in any combat sport rules have changed and evolved through time, and they're set by the official associations/communities of each sport.

What?

On a purely competitive level, both players will use all of the tools available to them which is, believe it or not, decided by the rules of the mod.. NOT the community.

Just like how in every sport, every athlete/team will do what ever they can do to win as long as its within the rules of the sport.

Rules set by the official associations of a sport are OFFICIAL RULES that HAVE to be followed. Community rules are not official in any sense of the word. Hell, they can't even be enforced...
Originally Posted by DaNooB23 View Post
What?

On a purely competitive level, both players will use all of the tools available to them which is, believe it or not, decided by the rules of the mod.. NOT the community.

Just like how in every sport, every athlete/team will do what ever they can do to win as long as its within the rules of the sport.

Rules set by the official associations of a sport are OFFICIAL RULES that HAVE to be followed. Community rules are not official in any sense of the word. Hell, they can't even be enforced...

Just because a rule isn't an implemented mechanic in the mod.tbm doesn't mean it can't be official.

If I make an event where I ban every player that runs away, that means it's an official rule of that event.

In my opinion most competitive mods right now are aikido7 for grab and for no grab a purely point-based mod with -30 gravity (although this is personal preference).
What makes aikido7 the most competitive in my opinion is the fact that you can avoid an oponent's grab, and no damage means the players are focused entirely on staying inside the dojo. Also no random dm's or fractures.
Originally Posted by NoGood View Post
Just because a rule isn't an implemented mechanic in the mod.tbm doesn't mean it can't be official.

If I make an event where I ban every player that runs away, that means it's an official rule of that event.

In my opinion most competitive mods right now are aikido7 for grab and for no grab a purely point-based mod with -30 gravity (although this is personal preference).
What makes aikido7 the most competitive in my opinion is the fact that you can avoid an oponent's grab, and no damage means the players are focused entirely on staying inside the dojo. Also no random dm's or fractures.

well aikido7 is more like fixed aikido, so it encourage you to play for clean throws and takedowns (as it supposed to be played anyway), but i would also mention sw4.tbm, spiritwrestling with same grabable bodyparts mod.