Toribash
I have not as much experience in MP as I have in SP, so the most I can do is share my idea of what I believe makes a good replay and good replaymaker. in an attempt to add to this discussion, I will copy some stuff I posted a while ago in an ORMO thread about what I (personally obviously) believe makes a replay and rpelaymaker good

i judge replays by 2 scales. execution and idea. idea refers to what you mean to do, execution refers to how accurately your replay is representing your idea.

I can only evaluate execution if the idea is somewhat clear, since objectives and goals are not universal and etc. (for example i could make my goal to make a replay where I fall to the ground and break my neck while looking stiff and symmetrical. i would contract the hips and hit my head on the ground, breaking it. the execution would be a 10/10 perfect score in that case or something very high atleast, but that does not make it a good replay).

the biggest problem for judging replay (for me atleast) stems from this. i always have to speculate what the idea of the replay is, unless it is clear or the replay is trying to immitate something (eg: Binklawz and the MAS scene).

I look for a replay that shows creativity either in how it does what it is doing, or simply in what it is doing (or both if you are insanely skilled), and that is able to execute it as closely as possibly to the original intention. The paragraph below explains it a bit better.

the point of a replay has always been (to me obviously) to showcase skill (knowledge of the game and how the toris work), so more concretely a replay where the player shows us his tori going near boundaries and not necessarily breaking them. The more specific the thing the tori does, the more different, and the more intentional it looks, and the more I believe he understands the game, as he was able to create something really concrete, really specific and really unique. He showed me something as clearly as possible, getting his point across very easily because he has a very high understanding of the game and is easily able to convert his ideas into reality.
All of this obviously implies that the idea is difficult to achieve or fun to watch.

My idea of a great replaymaker is that he is able to consistently create replays which exemplify that.

Originally Posted by ynvaser
everything

this is stupid
Last edited by pusga; Jul 21, 2015 at 01:33 AM.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
You are in the wrong here actually.
You are saying that a baby is born with a stock amount of creativity that cant be increased.....

I'm actually going to stop responding to you, because frankly you are a douche and a muppet.

I'm saying exactly that, and calling me names isn't a counter-argument. ggnore

Originally Posted by pusga View Post
Replay judging guidelines

Irrelevant.

this is stupid

Pusga pls.
Last edited by ynvaser; Jul 21, 2015 at 01:34 AM.
Everyone, let's stop insulting ynvaser. Ynvaser, please stop proking everyone with your edgy attitude.

There's no need for anyone to get heated up over this. There's also no need that everybody can't show a bit of maturity or control and discuss this topic without ripping into the other people.
Adversarial tasks are always harder.

What's harder, painting a picture, or painting a picture while someone leans over your shoulder and tries to paint over it?

SP will never get harder, it is always the same. In MP on the other hand your opponents will get better. SP will never be as hard as MP.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Adversarial tasks are always harder.

What's harder, painting a picture, or painting a picture while someone leans over your shoulder and tries to paint over it?

SP will never get harder, it is always the same. In MP on the other hand your opponents will get better. SP will never be as hard as MP.

multiplayer gives you a picture to paint
singleplayer requires you to create a picture and paint it
i dont believe you could possibly compare two things that are both different in execution and requirements

putting the analogy aside, its quite clear what the goal is in a multiplayer match. in singleplayer there is no goal to begin with unless you set one, and you can make it as difficult as you want
oh yeah
There is no picture involved in MP, it's just two people fighting.

MP is competition
Sp is art

Like someone said earlier you can't compare ice hockey to figure skating
Parkour like you've never seen before:
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=423045
Definetly SP is more harder to me,im lazy as f**k...
Singleplayer gives you the inactivity while playing,because you're alone without anybody..
Multiplayer is better,because it haves better concentration and activity into a replay
Running away...
multiplayer gives you a picture to paint
singleplayer requires you to create a picture and paint it

So what you're telling me is that the ONLY goal in MP to become a better player over everyone else is to win? In that case there are thousands of "MP gods" that choose to play like a piece of wood and cheese every single game. Sorry if I misunderstood what you're trying to say but I think that's just silly.

The difference between SP and MP is not the creativity, whoever said/thought this is clearly uneducated when it comes to this game. The difference between SP and MP is the fact in MP you have 20 seconds to make a decision and move your joints accordingly to move the way you want to move, whether it be to play like a piece of shit and cheese for easy wins or play like an MP god and move with complexity and fluidity to either win/lose it doesn't matter.

Anyways, I think SP is much harder as it takes a longer time to produce moves and think of moves you want to make. When I first started this game I had no idea on what moves to make or how to go about it, so I jumped into MP and copied moves and saw how the other players were doing it so I went from there.
Originally Posted by Holotor View Post
So what you're telling me is that the ONLY goal in MP to become a better player over everyone else is to win? In that case there are thousands of "MP gods" that choose to play like a piece of wood and cheese every single game. Sorry if I misunderstood what you're trying to say but I think that's just silly.

oh no that is not what I meant, sorry if it seems like it. I was using the analogy to describe what I think MP and SP respectively consist of essentially. there is more to both of these, but that is what I think simply cannot be ignored when playing either.

in singleplayer, it is absolutely impossible to make a replay without first setting up a goal. even if you set to make a random replay with no goals, that is a goal. people do it subconsciously, some people even plan out the entire replay before the start it, but everyone has an idea of what they are going to do before they do it. setting up your own goals is essential to a replay and it can't be ignored.

in multiplayer, you are free to create your own alternative goals in any match, but it is not essential. the mod you are playing gives you the rules, and it will necessarily decide a winner and a loser (unless it's a draw, then the game decided both played equally well) by the end of the match. you cannot ignore the objective goals, even if you make your main goal something personal like ripping off both your hand and throwing them at your opponent. I am not saying that I value winning over showcasing tori control or other skills, but the game will not givei you any credit for trying to handicap youself and then failing to beat the other opponent, and it will not reward you if you handicap yourself and then beat the opponent either.

again, not saying that this is all MP and SP are made of, but it is their core. you can complicate multiplayer as much as you want, but it will not reward you in any way, and if you feel like it should then maybe you should be playing another game. the only reward you can possibly receive is pride and joy in completing a personal goal.

Originally Posted by Holotor View Post
The difference between SP and MP is not the creativity, whoever said/thought this is clearly uneducated when it comes to this game. The difference between SP and MP is the fact in MP you have 20 seconds to make a decision and move your joints accordingly to move the way you want to move, whether it be to play like a piece of shit and cheese for easy wins or play like an MP god and move with complexity and fluidity to either win/lose it doesn't matter.

i agree. just saying because it might seem like I didn't from my previous post, but I do. multiplayer requires creativity in order to solve problems with as less effort as possible, while singleplayer requires creativity to create new things (extremely simply put)
Last edited by pusga; Jul 21, 2015 at 02:40 PM.
oh yeah
mp consists of making moves to be effective. sp consists of taking time to make precise movements to look pretty.

you don't need to spend weeks to make a good replay, its merely that some people do. in mp there are no good replays, there are good strategies.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|