Toribash
Originally Posted by William View Post

No, he's not right. 90% of duelers fight in aikidobd.

The competitive scene shouldn't depend on the presence of stakes. Never!

No.

First off, 90% of duelers do not exclusively duel in ABD. They also duel in lenshu3ng and boxshumushuv3. If you want to say "90% of duels happen in ABD", that's closer to the truth, but only because you have people dueling 250 TC brown belt vs 3rd Dan because that's the extent of their dueling knowledge.

Shmevin, iTemp, Killer3366, Shockey, iRookie, and other prominent duelers DEFINITELY duel in more than ABD.

Secondly-

If you want a match to matter, it will only do so if it has consequences. Winning the match means you're one step closer to winning clan league for example. Losing the match means your clan is knocked out of Clan League for example. Losing the match means half my TC is gone for example. Real E-Sports, top matches matter a lot. Millions of dollars are won, which by proxy means other players lost the chance to win millions of dollars.

Thirdly-

You need matchmaking for an effective ranking system to work. That's not debatable. Literally choosing who you play, and in what you play, will explicitly favor noob farmers. You just shovel aikido and greykido players who aren't great, and dodge the matches you think it won't work. Rush kick and run away from lenshu3ng players who aren't great, and dodge any match you think you might lose. Snapkick any TK noob you think won't stop it, and dodge any match that you think you'd lose. It's EXTREMELY easy to maintain a 90% win ratio if you exclusively play players who you're confident you'll beat with great consistency.

You can argue that's not true- but we're seeing it as we speak William. Less you're willing to say Coyote0500 is the best player in Toribash, and certainly so for being #1 in the world in aikido, and #3 in the world in greykido.

Just to be clear: I think the ranking system can improve further without the use of the matchmaking system, but it sucks in comparison to having a matchmaking system.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Aug 15, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
No.

First off, 90% of duelers do not exclusively duel in ABD. They also duel in lenshu3ng and boxshumushuv3. If you want to say "90% of duels happen in ABD", that's closer to the truth, but only because you have people dueling 250 TC brown belt vs 3rd Dan because that's the extent of their dueling knowledge.

Shmevin, iTemp, Killer3366, Shockey, iRookie, and other prominent duelers DEFINITELY duel in more than ABD.

Secondly-

If you want a match to matter, it will only do so if it has consequences. Winning the match means you're one step closer to winning clan league for example. Losing the match means your clan is knocked out of Clan League for example. Losing the match means half my TC is gone for example. Real E-Sports, top matches matter a lot. Millions of dollars are won, which by proxy means other players lost the chance to win millions of dollars.

Thirdly-

You need matchmaking for an effective ranking system to work. That's not debatable. Literally choosing who you play, and in what you play, will explicitly favor noob farmers. You just shovel aikido and greykido players who aren't great, and dodge the matches you think it won't work. Rush kick and run away from lenshu3ng players who aren't great, and dodge any match you think you might lose. Snapkick any TK noob you think won't stop it, and dodge any match that you think you'd lose. It's EXTREMELY easy to maintain a 90% win ratio if you exclusively play players who you're confident you'll beat with great consistency.

You can argue that's not true- but we're seeing it as we speak William. Less you're willing to say Coyote0500 is the best player in Toribash, and certainly so for being #1 in the world in aikido, and #3 in the world in greykido.

Just to be clear: I think the ranking system can improve further without the use of the matchmaking system, but it sucks in comparison to having a matchmaking system.

First point, yes I agree. Listen, I'm talking from personal experience here. We both don't have the statistics to support any of our claims. But from personal experience, yes most of seem to be interested in dueling in ABD. What is box mushu..it's a random mod. Not an indicator of skill at ALL.

Second point, I really can't agree with that! You don't need a reason to win, you just WIN. The best players in wushu..Snudge, Ticux, begotten etc... were just incredible at winning without needing this TC incentive. In this rank system, the incentive is getting a high rank.

Third point, I did mention a matchmaking system is much better. You're talking here about cherry picking which a common problem in a lot of online games. These ranking restricted servers would fix it to a certain degree. Let's face it someone who is good at his mod will be able to get into these high ranked servers come day 20. So, then here we have a lot more contact between good and bad players which will tend to filter them out.

No, he's not the best player in TB in the world. That's not what this ranking system tells you. It tells you that he's been the best for these 15 days only!
I'll admit I've never seen him play, so I cannot judge whether he is one of the best aikido players or not. Let's face it, it's up to the best aikido players to beat him up. He's played a fairly high amount of games, you'd think the good aikido players would have beat him up already. Apparently not, with that win-ratio.

I repeat, matchmaking system is much better, I'm trying to create the best system with what's available. ^^
Your messed up world enthrills me
I did suggest to the GMs that they ask the community what mods to use for this sorta thing, since we've apparently got enough server muscle spare to toss up some dedicated servers for ranked mods. YAY!
It needs standardised in that regard, though I'd rather it wasn't us telling everyone else which version of which type of mod to play.

Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
Yup i think this system is great and it seems a lot more practical than a matchmaking system, as hampa is to dumb to make matchmaking. This system wouldn't be as effective as matchmaking but it would get the point across roughly.

We had matchmarking once.. Well I guess twice of you count it being command only & it having a menu option buried separately... Jokes aside, it sucked. Plus no one used it, but mostly it sucked. Maybe the suck was because no one used it?
I could go into why it failed, but that'd just result in an essay on things that'd just make you all facepalm.

Anyway carry on.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
I did suggest to the GMs that they ask the community what mods to use for this sorta thing, since we've apparently got enough server muscle spare to toss up some dedicated servers for ranked mods. YAY!
It needs standardised in that regard, though I'd rather it wasn't us telling everyone else which version of which type of mod to play.

We had matchmarking once.. Well I guess twice of you count it being command only & it having a menu option buried separately... Jokes aside, it sucked. Plus no one used it, but mostly it sucked. Maybe the suck was because no one used it?
I could go into why it failed, but that'd just result in an essay on things that'd just make you all facepalm.

Anyway carry on.

Most of the community agrees on the following 3 mods:

ErthTKv2
Lenshu3ng/Rk-MMA (Either are great)
ABD

Some don't like ABD, they'd prefer greykido. That much has been discussed in length that it supports a shovel meta which is super boring.

And I think essentially everyone agrees they want a matchmaking system over the current one.

People didn't use matchmaking last time because they:
A) Didn't want to
B) Didn't have to
C) There was no reward to do so.
D) It was in their advantage that they not.

Because if you care about rank, and you're not amazing, you're going to not want a matchmaking system. You're going to want a pick your battle, noob farm system. Now that there's a large prize involved for being top rank by the end of the month, and we've well fleshed out which mods are competitive through trial and error of the dueling community and clan league/siege, Toribash is at a spot where this will work.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
You forgot the #1 reason why it failed... Ignoring that it was hidden from view:

Room cap.

Pretty silly eh? It worked on some levels, it found another person who was using it, made a room, dumped them in together.
But there's a limit on how many user rooms there can be, and when that's hit trying to make a room gives a stupid "not connected" message. Gave people the idea that MM was completely broken at the time (as opposed to it being cack and kinda pointless).

Really it should be left until after the whole ranking thing & mods blah blah are all sorted out. Adding more on the pile to sort in one go never works here, so rather than a massive unstable turd go one step at a time & work towards something that actually works.

As for mods, I'd rather there were more than just 3. A low number is pretty silly, and I'm sure there's room for people to agree that a couple or few or each type are valid. Aikido being a good example since it's a pretty fragmented mode, pretty sure the striking mod players will have arguments for one over the other too.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I remember the matchmaking system. It sucked because it didn't even work..... you can't make a total trash system then say people aren't interested.

Not only that but, that was like 2012 when "Esports" was not such a big thing.

A matchmaking system would only work if toribash was re branded as a competitive game and there was an incentive to use it.

Anyway carry on.

I'm interested! How much server muscle do we actually have? Is there a range or a number?

But, I'm more than sure that we have enough for TB needs. At the moment, most of the ranked servers/tournies are pretty empty!

The system I suggested was mainly to do just that! Allow people to play a variety of mods then scale it down to a variety of striking/kicking/grappling mods then scale it down in the end to all mods so that we can figure out who really is the most competent player out there.

Matchmaking didn't work as far as I recall for me. ^^
The problem with Toribash sometimes, and I'll blame this one on GMs/devs/community, is that devs release pretty cool features such as point system modification..but there is no encouragement to try them out. With cosmetic items(cause they bring some top dolla)...there is top notch advertising.
-----
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Most of the community agrees on the following 3 mods:

ErthTKv2
Lenshu3ng/Rk-MMA (Either are great)
ABD

Some don't like ABD, they'd prefer greykido. That much has been discussed in length that it supports a shovel meta which is super boring.

And I think essentially everyone agrees they want a matchmaking system over the current one.

People didn't use matchmaking last time because they:
A) Didn't want to
B) Didn't have to
C) There was no reward to do so.
D) It was in their advantage that they not.

Because if you care about rank, and you're not amazing, you're going to not want a matchmaking system. You're going to want a pick your battle, noob farm system. Now that there's a large prize involved for being top rank by the end of the month, and we've well fleshed out which mods are competitive through trial and error of the dueling community and clan league/siege, Toribash is at a spot where this will work.

+1 Agreed there.
-----
You forgot the #1 reason why it failed... Ignoring that it was hidden from view:

Room cap.

Pretty silly eh? It worked on some levels, it found another person who was using it, made a room, dumped them in together.
But there's a limit on how many user rooms there can be, and when that's hit trying to make a room gives a stupid "not connected" message. Gave people the idea that MM was completely broken at the time (as opposed to it being cack and kinda pointless).

Really it should be left until after the whole ranking thing & mods blah blah are all sorted out. Adding more on the pile to sort in one go never works here, so rather than a massive unstable turd go one step at a time & work towards something that actually works.

As for mods, I'd rather there were more than just 3. A low number is pretty silly, and I'm sure there's room for people to agree that a couple or few or each type are valid. Aikido being a good example since it's a pretty fragmented mode, pretty sure the striking mod players will have arguments for one over the other too.

Ah, there was a room cap, alright. It shouldn't be a problem now then I guess. But, I agree with you. I'd rather sort the mods out. The ranking system kinda gets sorted out with matchmaking. IMO

I think it's the easiest for the striking players. We have three mods wushu,rk,lenshu. They have the settings as you know "-30,30tf" "-20,40tf" "-9.82,50tf". This kind of setting will never change. The three mods might evolve and change for the better..but these essential elements won't change in them. Currently the problem is picking a wushu mod, some want one with a dojo, box, dome. Each has his thoughts about it, and that's the problem. I think a box, dome would be ideal..but really they all are competitive!
-----
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
I remember the matchmaking system. It sucked because it didn't even work..... you can't make a total trash system then say people aren't interested.

Not only that but, that was like 2012 when "Esports" was not such a big thing.

A matchmaking system would only work if toribash was re branded as a competitive game and there was an incentive to use it.

Yes, and let's be clear here. If a matchmaking system was implemented it needs to be the only way to play ranked games or else you're back to the same problem where people are cherry picking.
Last edited by William; Aug 16, 2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by William View Post
I'm interested! How much server muscle do we actually have? Is there a range or a number?

*cough* rather than out the exact number since that'd just result in silly suggestions, lets just say there's more than enough free to have plenty of extra static servers that could be used specifically for ranking stuff without having to eat into the current static rooms.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
So, something similar to the system I suggested got applied here, but we're faced with the problem that the servers are most of the time empty!

I suppose the devs have statistics about the distribution of elo and players inside each ELO group. For example, for the servers I join..we have about 40-45 players in this ELO range which might be too low I guess.

This can be fixed in two ways:
1- Either fix the ELO ranges so that it encompasses an acceptable amount of players.

2- Or, there should only be 1 ELO top tier server with 3 rotating mods representing kicking,grappling, and striking. This would ensure that all top players can't specialize to get a high rank, they have to be good in all mods.

This all might become clearer with the reset. But, imo, if there's a chance to fix it before the reset, then it would be better!

Cheers!
Last edited by William; Aug 31, 2015 at 07:18 AM.
today they introduced a 10k tourney with 6 mods thatchange...( abd, greykido, rk-mma, lenshu, erthtk_v2, stabjutsu). I could see added next to that judofrac and maybe some other aikido variation or something else idk.

Since u want a global ranking ( not mod based ranking ) imo there should be a few room for the players that are passed 1650 elo or top 1000 (just example) that rotate all of these mods w/o exception and every server is the same. Tournament or just ranked.

For elo under 1650 or over top 1000 there can be the normal servers that are just one mod based or by category (striking, grappling, etc)

In this case at the end of the month you would rlly have a GLOBAL RANK not just some kid that shovels 800 times in a row... and rank would be based on skill of toribash in general (GLOBAL)

So basicaly:
- many servers for low elo with just one mod.
- a few servers for high elo with all competitive mods chosen and rotating one after another
- maybe one server for top 50 with same mods rotating each turn.

Do you guys agree with this idea? I think it would produce a much better global ranking ( global is involving all competitive mods )
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals