Ranking
This is coming along nicely man i think its gona look awesome when its done i wana make a set but i dont have the artistic skills.

keep up the good work
you are adjusting to the joint textures far better than I am.
you using mudbox or doing it the old fashioned way?
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

mudbox is bad for textures, it gives dots instead of lines.

I recommend you to look ingame the template worn and draw in the image editor over a template.
Originally Posted by TomWanks View Post
I think its starting to look pretty hanz0me as a texture. The only thing I say that needs improving is the lights (Vertical face/eyes etc) as it looks more like a painted decal than an actual shining light.

I get it, it's like handsome but hanz0.
Added a bit of a glow/gradient coming from the center of the eye, it's real light but maybe it'll help a bit. I'll probably mess around with it a bit more at some point, but this is all I'm doing today besides maybe some more concept sketching.

Originally Posted by Condings View Post
This is coming along nicely man i think its gona look awesome when its done i wana make a set but i dont have the artistic skills.

keep up the good work

Thanks! If you enjoy doing art at any level it's worth giving it a shot. My first forays weren't showstoppers either - but it's important to putz around a bit with the templates to figure out how the mapping and such works before you start doing really interesting stuff. If you get to the point where you want to start producing pieces that are both aesthetically appealing and make sense visually feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.

Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

Old-fashioned way. I've got a batch of screenshots of my process up in the OP's spoiler - it involves a lot of pen & paper sketching as well as drawing all over screenshots with my tablet, so it's rather time-consuming. But it's also quite a bit of fun, which is good because it's keeping me from getting bored of the project.

Originally Posted by dengue View Post
mudbox is bad for textures, it gives dots instead of lines.

I recommend you to look ingame the template worn and draw in the image editor over a template.

Yup, that's how I'm doing it. See above.
I like the idiotically fine control I get with Photoshop's pen tool, anyway.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
@ ben: I also do joints the old fashioned way. once you get templates and get a feel for whats going on its no different than mapping hands. although painting with a brush and not creating more "solid" colors makes it harder to match up prerfectly from joint to body texture. it also helps so much to draw on screenshots if you want it to make sense.

@hanz0 are you using just the regular head template for joints? at one time i made some joint templates that highlights the hidden areas. I also want to see what ideas you cook up for the pecs and glutes area. those always throw me for a loop getting a solid idea down.
I've been using the regular head texture and just eyeballing the hidden areas. Those templates should help a lot, thanks!

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
B&B&B&
The color scheme is good except for the head's visor. It's really rough and ends suddenly. The rest is really cool and the mapping is great.
This looks very good, I'd like to see the reference pictures you used for this.
But I really want to see the final product.
Dispute defeated Moop on Dec 16, 2016.
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
The color scheme is good except for the head's visor. It's really rough and ends suddenly. The rest is really cool and the mapping is great.

By "visor" are you referring to the vertical bit (What I've been referring to as the monoeye), or a different part? I really need to come up with some consistent nomenclature for this. In either case I'm uncertain exactly what you mean, if you could clarify (perhaps by drawing all over my screenshots) that'd help.

Originally Posted by Dispute View Post
This looks very good, I'd like to see the reference pictures you used for this.
But I really want to see the final product.

As mentioned in the OP I have so many reference images that it'd be a massive pain to link them all. If you specify a particular element I'd be happy to try and point you in the right direction (Although currently CGhub, where a lot of my references came from, is down, so that's annoying).

---------------------------------------

Finished up the right elbow/triceps and began work on the chest. I need to remember not to get too complacent about the "hidden" parts of the torso textures, since movement (i.e. turning the chest, contracting the pecs, whatever) is going to expose those areas.

Thinking I might have to do another pass on the striping on the rest of the body since the stripe on the right pec is noticeably more complex than the others. Haven't done too much work on the back of the torso yet. Will probably revisit the left arm since I'm kind of feeling like it's stylistically too different from the rest of the body.
Last edited by hanz0; Apr 12, 2014 at 09:46 PM.

B&B&B&