Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Originally Posted by Zxan View Post
>what is linux

Also, check this out;

EDIT: God you're thick. http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

shiggy

Ubuntu 13 is coming out in the near future with better Ivy Bridge and Nvidia support. Then it will surely surpass Windows for gaming.

And I am also very happy with the new Linux port of steam. This is a very big step forward.
Last edited by Regent101; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
We're all going to Hell, we may as well go out in style
Death is a promise, and your life is a fucking lie
12:31 AM - Ciao Time: If one were to devote themselves to a $250 budget with all the cost cutting heavenly possible
12:31 AM - Ciao Time: And built it right
12:32 AM - Ciao Time: It'd be possible, +1 to gorman team

hey guess what i was wrong.

still doesn't make sense for anyone to do though, unless you have the need to maintain superior pc master race status like gorman. i'm not gonna tell my friend who wants to play call of duty to go source pieces for free and dig around looking for free stuff, i'm going to tell him to buy a 250 dollar console that runs stuff the same and works right away with no work required.

"Even if you install windows, probably even you can use it fine vespesi3n, you just have to install steam then buy the games you want, it's super easy, if you gave it a try I'm sure you can do it!"
being condescending really helped solidify your argument, gj
Last edited by vespesi3n; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Mosier: tl;dr gay clothing thoughts
I have another perspective on the argument relating to 'ease of use.'

Say I'm a new user with a new credit card, average internet, and just enough computer knowledge to follow instructions on the first go.

To buy a PS3 game:

Make PSN account, e-mail verify, punch in credit card details, download system and store updates, navigate through the store, find my game, load the game's page, load checkout, download game at ~400kb/s, install game, download game updates, play.

To buy a Steam game:

Download client, make Steam account, e-mail verify, navigate through store, straight to checkout once finding a game, punch credit card details in, download game at ~1mb/s, install game (w/ components added automatically), play.

They're pretty similar. You could argue that one's interface is far worse or slower once learned, of course, but in the end, the process is equally daunting for someone with zero computer savviness.

This is also assuming a perfect world where hardware and incompatibility is a non-issue. In reality, it always is. For consoles and PC's.

And for fun, to buy a Genesis game:

Walk to Blockbuster, buy game, go home, put into Genesis, turn on, play.

...Modern electronics are clunky.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by ImmortalCow View Post
Well that's even easier...

1. Buy PS3
2. Install Ubuntu
3. There we go, you now have a computer with linux that can run the same games as a console.

You do realize that installing Ubuntu on a PS3 after Sony had removed OtherOS is far more difficult and potentially requires more hardware experience than building your own PC, right? Not to mention that even when OtherOS was enabled, by default, it had no access to hardware acceleration and thus couldn't run any PC games more powerful than Quake 3.

So yeah.
Last edited by CiaoTime; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
1. Buy PS3
2. Install Ubuntu
3. There we go, you now have a computer with linux that can run the same games as a console.

Can't even install Linux on the PS3 anymore, unless you don't get the update, in which case your PS3 is useless for online gameplay. (Not to mention that Ubuntu wouldn't work as well with the PS3's hardware as the PS3 itself would. . .)

> computer cannot in to lounge room
> console cannot on to desk
> computer must the desk with the monitor
> console must the lounge room with the tv
> no other configurations exist, "apparently that's hard to understand"
wtf even is this. I've had a computer hooked up to a tv for the last 10 years. It's nothing to get mad about.

Errgh, unless it's usually used by more than one person, someone would generally want their computer in their own room.

> what is steam for linux
> implying linux isn't an OS

How many Steam games actually run natively on Linux? Nowhere near the amount on other operating systems. You'd still have to use Wine for the vast majority of them.

> implying the dumb sheep route is better

Well, some consumers do prefer the ease-of-use offered by a console.

> implying there's anyone out there that has a console but not a computer

Wut? Of course there are. . .

> implying steam for linux doesn't exist

Like I said above. . .

> implying we should try and cater to people who are too dumb to build a computer and run it. That's what consoles are for - pay more but get weak hardware and low quality games - but it's easy.

Why shouldn't we? That's a pretty huge market. . .

Because PC apparently cannot in to lounge room or wherever you have your giant tv already.

Umm, you said, "tv cannot on to desk", so make up your mind with that bit! D:

I don't think many people want to hook up their computer to their television every time they want to play a game. Unless your desk is close enough to the TV anyway, and you could just hook it up to both a monitor and the TV, which is a pretty neat set-up, but still: "Errgh, unless it's usually used by more than one person, someone would generally want their computer in their own room."

e: I missed an entire page of posts! D:
Last edited by box; Feb 12, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Originally Posted by box View Post
I don't think many people want to hook up their computer to their television every time they want to play a game."

I think that common sense should take over and tell the person that if they are hooking their PC up to a TV, to not unplug it everytime they stop playing it.
Originally Posted by Zxan View Post
I think that common sense should take over and tell the person that if they are hooking their PC up to a TV, to not unplug it everytime they stop playing it.

Assuming your computer is only used for playing games? Of course. Though if I want to use a computer for other reasons, I would rather have it on a desk where my keyboard and mouse are at.

Can't even install Linux on the PS3 anymore, unless you don't get the update, in which case your PS3 is useless for online gameplay. (Not to mention that Ubuntu wouldn't work as well with the PS3's hardware as the PS3 itself would. . .)

Youstillcan
And if you use the old version, of course you can still use the network card...
Errgh, unless it's usually used by more than one person, someone would generally want their computer in their own room.

So in other words
> I am not allowed to the computer connected to the TV
How many Steam games actually run natively on Linux? Nowhere near the amount on other operating systems. You'd still have to use Wine for the vast majority of them.

100 on steam alone. But steam is focusing more and more on linux. Plus do you really play more than 100 games, in say, a year? Because more games will be added.
Well, some consumers do prefer the ease-of-use offered by a console.

I know right.
Wut? Of course there are. . .

Not sure how they do things.
I guess there are people who just use a phone lel.
Why shouldn't we? That's a pretty huge market. . .

So, make money off dumb people instead of educating them?
> box confirmed for lawful evil
I don't think many people want to hook up their computer to their television every time they want to play a game. Unless your desk is close enough to the TV anyway, and you could just hook it up to both a monitor and the TV, which is a pretty neat set-up, but still: "Errgh, unless it's usually used by more than one person, someone would generally want their computer in their own room."

Why you can't just leave it hooked up? Why you don't have KVM or splitter?!?!

WHY BOX CANNOT IN TO USING COMPUTER!
Originally Posted by vespesi3n View Post
unless you have the need to maintain superior pc master race status like gorman...
...being condescending really helped solidify your argument, gj

I lel'd
Originally Posted by CiaoTime View Post
You do realize that installing Ubuntu on a PS3 after Sony had removed OtherOS is far more difficult and potentially requires more hardware experience than building your own PC, right? Not to mention that even when OtherOS was enabled, by default, it had no access to hardware acceleration and thus couldn't run any PC games more powerful than Quake 3.

So yeah.

It's not that big a deal.

> by default
C'mon Ciao, I know you know that defaults can be changed.
You be playin' buddy.

I already acknowledged the unique architecture found in consoles and also devs get much lower level access. But it's comparable, and it's all the benefits of a PC.
Youstillcan
And if you use the old version, of course you can still use the network card...

I'm talking about PSN, obviously. You can't log in to PSN unless you download the latest firmware.

So in other words
> I am not allowed to the computer connected to the TV

That's not what I said.

Then again, some people have televisions in their room as well. . .

100 on steam alone. But steam is focusing more and more on linux. Plus do you really play more than 100 games, in say, a year? Because more games will be added.

Still, with Windows and OS X, there are many more options to choose from.

So, make money off dumb people instead of educating them?
> box confirmed for lawful evil

Or, educate them, and let them decide what they prefer. There's likely to still be a few console loyalists. :d

Why you can't just leave it hooked up? Why you don't have KVM or splitter?!?!

WHY BOX CANNOT IN TO USING COMPUTER!

". . .Unless your desk is close enough to the TV anyway, and you could just hook it up to both a monitor and the TV, which is a pretty neat set-up. . ."

I said that!

There's also the advantage of multi-tasking on PC. Not many people have two monitors, but I do. And I'm usually watching netflix on one, and browsing the web on the other.