Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Changing and correcting existing genes is not creating new genes that produce new proteins. It is not the topic at hand. It is not possible to make a living complex multi-cell organism produce entirely new enzymes that would destroy certain harmful substances. It would be possible to inject those enzymes, though that would be a lifelong therapy (that's how diabetes gets treated, for instance). Such treatments are very expensive and cannot be done on the scale you proposed (such as giving the treatment to everyone for certain effects such as immunity against harmful substances).
Referring to a gene that codes a protein incorrectly as corrupted is not incorrect? It is a disadvantage and bad mutation, if you want to put it that way. The terminology is understood so it is not necessary to nitpick it.
Genetherapy has been incredibly unsuccessful, as I said.
Most textbooks on the subject are going to say exactly that. Of course there are hopes that gene therapy will become a good thing in the future, just not on the scale you proposed.
Here is a source, if you desire one. http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...apy/gtsuccess/

This thread is not about gene therapy anyway. It is about gmo. They are entirely different. It is not possible to enhance a complex multi-cell organism with new genes.
It is not possible to add new genes to a genome because it requires heavy manipulation that literally involves cutting existing genes and adding new ones, to put it simply.
That is done with individual cells. After the procedure they have to undergo a process of selection which kills off cells where genes have been added incorrectly. It is not possible to add genes to organisms with a 100% success rate. That is because the process involves a lot of chance. There are many possible outcomes which are not desirable. That is why after that procedure a procedure of selection has to take place.
Here is a simple graphic that explains it in laymen terms:
http://www.littletree.com.au/images/dna3.jpg
There are gmo cows and sheep that produce certain human proteins for medical purposes, such as insulin. There the gametes are manipulated, not the whole living organism. Note that the graphic I provided is about e. coli, which are bacteria. Their cells are by far not as complex as those of cows.

I have upcoming exams about that exact subject. If you desire so I can give you some keywords you can look up in order to educate yourself.
What you provided so far does not convince me you know anything about the subject.
Last edited by Redundant; Feb 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
You are arbitrarily deciding that /this/ is different to everything else that has happened in history.

It sounds like an iPhone advert; "This changes everything" - um actually apple it's just another phone it's not that new really...

GM is comparable because in the context of divisions of society it is identical as countless things that have happened before.

Quit bringing up the iPhone - you recognise that we're not talking about products, so quit bringing it up. It's irrelevant to the discussion.

Just because gm acts as a division in society doesn't mean it will have the same effect as different divisions. This is just common sense. There are issues intimately unique to gm, just as there as issues intimately unique to Sunni/Shi'a muslims.

Now, you suggested that "If our sample size is all of history, and in all of these events the outcome has not been dystopic then we can safely assume that one more similar event won't be the straw to break the camel's back."

First off, I never said that gm would result in dystopia. I said the very opposite. I said it is unknowable. The only reason I mentioned dystopic sci-fi was because you said you couldn't see anyway that gm could go wrong. Those books postulate ways that it could go wrong. You can't think of a way that gm could go wrong, those people can. They'll help you think of ways that it can go wrong. That's all that point was.

You said "Got any arguments that aren't in the realm of fiction?". Well, I'm not basing my argument on sci-fi books, as I just said. My argument, which I've reiterated so many times, is that we don't know, so asserting something as being completing good or completely bad is very myopic. I really have no idea how you can keep misrepresenting me so badly - I stated this exact argument in pretty much all of my posts in this thread.

At least it's not based on the assumption that your favourite dystopian book will come real!

Maybe there will be zombies too!!!1 AND LIGHTSABERS!111

I hope, now, that you can see how far removed from my argument your representation of it is.

Hate to tell you this mate but Rome broke up a while ago. I don't think the 'capite censi' are still around :/

So?

You said, "Land/landless classes? First I've heard of it". I educated you. You're welcome.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Quit bringing up the iPhone - you recognise that we're not talking about products, so quit bringing it up. It's irrelevant to the discussion.

Just because gm acts as a division in society doesn't mean it will have the same effect as different divisions. This is just common sense. There are issues intimately unique to gm, just as there as issues intimately unique to Sunni/Shi'a muslims.

Now, you suggested that "If our sample size is all of history, and in all of these events the outcome has not been dystopic then we can safely assume that one more similar event won't be the straw to break the camel's back."

First off, I never said that gm would result in dystopia. I said the very opposite. I said it is unknowable. The only reason I mentioned dystopic sci-fi was because you said you couldn't see anyway that gm could go wrong. Those books postulate ways that it could go wrong. You can't think of a way that gm could go wrong, those people can. They'll help you think of ways that it can go wrong. That's all that point was.

You said "Got any arguments that aren't in the realm of fiction?". Well, I'm not basing my argument on sci-fi books, as I just said. My argument, which I've reiterated so many times, is that we don't know, so asserting something as being completing good or completely bad is very myopic. I really have no idea how you can keep misrepresenting me so badly - I stated this exact argument in pretty much all of my posts in this thread.

I hope, now, that you can see how far removed from my argument your representation of it is.

So?

You said, "Land/landless classes? First I've heard of it". I educated you. You're welcome.

Your argument doesn't seem to have any substance. You don't commit to any position other than "you are wrong".

My argument that it is realistic to assume there will be no dystopic class warfare is apparently not good enough for you, but the scenario you propose is far less likely (as in, practically impossible).

Yes, there are no 100%, but let's try and be realistic about this ok?

The fact that a historical situation ended a while ago or existed only for a short time does not support the hypothesis for a dystopic future, it supports the hypothesis that nothing significant will happen.
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
Changing and correcting existing genes is not creating new genes that produce new proteins. It is not the topic at hand. It is not possible to make a living complex multi-cell organism produce entirely new enzymes that would destroy certain harmful substances. It would be possible to inject those enzymes, though that would be a lifelong therapy (that's how diabetes gets treated, for instance). Such treatments are very expensive and cannot be done on the scale you proposed (such as giving the treatment to everyone for certain effects such as immunity against harmful substances).
Referring to a gene that codes a protein incorrectly as corrupted is not incorrect? It is a disadvantage and bad mutation, if you want to put it that way. The terminology is understood so it is not necessary to nitpick it.
Genetherapy has been incredibly unsuccessful, as I said.
Most textbooks on the subject are going to say exactly that. Of course there are hopes that gene therapy will become a good thing in the future, just not on the scale you proposed.
Here is a source, if you desire one. http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...apy/gtsuccess/

This thread is not about gene therapy anyway. It is about gmo. They are entirely different. It is not possible to enhance a complex multi-cell organism with new genes.
It is not possible to add new genes to a genome because it requires heavy manipulation that literally involves cutting existing genes and adding new ones, to put it simply.
That is done with individual cells. After the procedure they have to undergo a process of selection which kills off cells where genes have been added incorrectly. It is not possible to add genes to organisms with a 100% success rate. That is because the process involves a lot of chance. There are many possible outcomes which are not desirable. That is why after that procedure a procedure of selection has to take place.
Here is a simple graphic that explains it in laymen terms:
http://www.littletree.com.au/images/dna3.jpg
There are gmo cows and sheep that produce certain human proteins for medical purposes, such as insulin. There the gametes are manipulated, not the whole living organism. Note that the graphic I provided is about e. coli, which are bacteria. Their cells are by far not as complex as those of cows.

I have upcoming exams about that exact subject. If you desire so I can give you some keywords you can look up in order to educate yourself.
What you provided so far does not convince me you know anything about the subject.

Judging a technology by the bureaucratic / legal barriers it faces is misleading. To say it is unsuccessful because there aren't enough trials/end products is bogus. As per your article, the technology is successful and advancing rapidly - although I don't think judgement on such small sample sizes is really relevant, you are the one who wanted to do that...

GT was brought up in discussion of GM as you well know, discussing it is fine.

There are many methods for genetic engineering.

If your aim was to convince me that you know what you are talking about, maybe you should steer clear of manipulating the facts and saying things that are incorrect.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Okay, point out where I even brought up bureaucratic and legal barriers.
I brought up technical issues and textbook knowledge.

Actually, don't bother. I just hope for your sake you are trolling.
Seeing as you responded very fast it is evident that you did not bother informing yourself. You just want to be right with the things you assume you know.
…sad
Okay, point out where I even brought up bureaucratic and legal barriers.
I brought up technical issues and textbook knowledge.

Genetherapy has been incredibly unsuccessful

Assuming you weren't just randomly posting sources for the hell of it.

Read the link and find out why they said it is not successful.
Actually, don't bother. I just hope for your sake you are trolling.
Seeing as you responded very fast it is evident that you did not bother informing yourself. You just want to be right with the things you assume you know.
…sad

You responded faster therefore you are even worse informed.

Why do you hate discussion so much? Always shitposting.
Assuming you weren't just randomly posting sources for the hell of it.

Read the link and find out why they said it is not successful.

I can't find any mention of red tape either.

Run for office.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
I can't find any mention of red tape either.

Run for office.

The opening sentences;
"Researchers have been working for decades to bring gene therapy to the clinic, yet very few patients have received any effective gene-therapy treatments. But that doesn't mean gene therapy is an impossible dream. Even though gene therapy has been slow to reach patients, its future is very encouraging."

Along with the rest of the page it is clear that this is because of red tape;
"Gene therapy could be life-saving for these patients, but the high cost of developing a treatment makes it an unappealing prospect for pharmaceutical companies.

Developing a new therapy—including taking it through the clinical trials necessary for government approval— is very expensive. With a limited number of patients to recover those expenses from, developers may never earn money from treating such rare genetic disorders."

"The story of Jesse Gelsinger illustrates this challenge. Gelsinger, who had a rare liver disorder, participated in a 1999 gene therapy trial. He died of complications from an inflammatory response shortly after receiving a dose of experimental adenovirus vector. His death halted all gene therapy trials in the United States for a time"

etc etc

You could also go read the wiki article / learn about US pharmaceuticals.
This thread is about immortalpig trolling.
Moving on.

I've been asked to re-open the thread so I guess there is more to talk about.
Go ahead.
Last edited by Redundant; Feb 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM.
Do you feel like you are cheating because you were born in a hospital instead of at home without professionals to help? Do you feel like you are cheating because you were immunized to protect you from many dangerous diseases? Do you feel like you are cheating because your house no doubt has some kind of climate control? Do you feel like you are cheating because of where you were born?

I think you are making a distinction where none should exist. You can't 'take back' your immunization or being born in a hospital, it can't be stolen.

As I think I mentioned, medically necessary (to prevent unusually early death or unusually poor standard of living as a result of poor health) GM or GT does not sound problematic to me, neither does vaccination or hospitalisation of birthing mothers. I have described the difference between property and genetic modification already so air conditioning and wealth aren't comparable in my opinion.

Nevertheless, I often feel like I am cheating for going to one of the most expensive boarding schools in my country (to be fair England isn't that big a country) and having parents who are willing to help me, I therefore don't feel as pleased with myself for getting certain results in exams as a kid in a state school would. Luckily universities take this into account so I would have to get higher exam results than someone from a state school to get into my chosen course. I personally think that exams should not rely on revision techniques and the education system as much as it does and that if a university wants to know how hard a kid works they should find another way. However, this is a discussion for another thread.

To put what I have said into context, GM kids would either think that normal kids were lazy for not doing so well or they would wisely realise that their acheuvements reflect less on their personality traits (their ego) and more on their ability to focus and retain knowledge. This sort of thing matters, I feel like my ability to criticise and philosophise unsubjectively is more advanced than a lot of people of my age in my school regardless of their exam results because of how much I care about that sort of thing rather than because of my neurophysiology. Life experience should matter as much as brain efficiency in learning loads of facts or processes and I feel like societies system of catagorisation (for further education and for employment) is fucked up enough already without people genetically modified to just be successful sitting the same exams and stuff. I feel like perhaps I am seeing points where there are none in this post but I don't have time to find them myself and know that others will enjoy doing it for me.

Thanks for reading.
Good morning sweet princess
I don't poke my head in here much, but I there are definitely some ways this could be bad. Population growth would be one of them. Population growth will be a big problem sometime in the near future, and I don't think making human beings live 40-50+ years would help that much. Again with the population. if we were to (just throwing out numbers here) decrease the deathtole of disease by 50%, that's a hell of a lot less people dying, and I'm sure we honestly do not want that.