Ranking
Original Post
DDR2 vs DDR3: Quality vs. Quantity?
Simply put, which would be more effective for gaming: 2 gigs of DDR3 or 4 gigs of DDR2?

Clocked at 1600 and 800 respectively.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
As long as it meets the recommended size of the games you typically play, then speed is more inportant. BUT, you have to make sure your motherboard can support DDR3. If it runs on DDR2 now, then you need to get a new motherboard.
i liek turtelz xd
Well, I'm planning on a new mobo anyway, but I'd have to get new ddr3. Already have 8 gigs of ddr2 on my current one.

4 gigs of ddr3 is about 100 bucks, which wouldn't be too bad of a hit in the long run.

So how much of a frame rate increase would I expect to see in a game like GTA iv or crysis, assuming everything else is the same?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
I can't answer that unless I know your processor, current ram, and graphics card.

But you should go with DDR3. It can go much faster, and a 64-bit computer can hold a maximum of 32 gigs with DDR3. So, DDR3 is best.
i liek turtelz xd
Well the processor is a Q8300. 250 GTS. 8 gigs of 800 mhz ram, not sure which brand though. Dunno about latency either.

My main concern was whether only 4 gigs of ddr3 would be enough to be at least at the same level as 8 gigs of my current ddr2. Since you said it would actually be a lot better, that pretty much solves my issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
gamers need speed not space
it dont help u have 8gb and cant go fast
but 4gb is the rec for all games to can play it good and its fast

if u have a big and small car who is the best the faster car will win

thats what and IT guy in the local comp store told me
Well.... 8GB is a total overkill unless you play 8 modern games at the same time while editing an image at Photoshop and doing some 3D works in 3ds Max lol.

And if you happened to have a 32-bit operative system it would be a total waste of money because 32-bit operative systems can't use more than 3GB of memory. (due to architecture limitations). To use more than 3GB you need a 64-bit operative system such as Windows 7 64-bit... or Linux 64-bit (also known as AMD64/Intel64)

DDR3 memory is faster, the only problem is - of course - the higher latency.
Try to get a low latency kit (and low voltage, why not?) if you find a cheap one.

4GB should be more than enough on today's standard.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi