Toribash
Original Post
[WIP] The Pixel Pulseblaster
Hello fellow toribashians.
First of all, I want to thank shook for creating your Pixel Art tutorial, without that, I would've never done it this far.

Today I have started with my first artpiece ever, and what could be better to start with than Pixel art?
So I decided to do the first basic thing, a circle.
Colored and shaded, I thought about other stuff that could be added to make it look fancy.
After some creative pause (including a nice meal) , I just started with the stock and shaft of a weapon.
You will see my progress here.

Version 1.0: The Pulse
~ Standard Circle with sappire color and simple shading.

Version 1.1: Blastershaping
~ A very early try on shaping the gun. Probably will be more or less changed.

Version 1.2: Holdable?
~ Fixed the shape by smoothening. Now I gotta think about where to add foregrips.

Version 1.3: Pulsative
~ Shook edited the outline (<3). Decided not to add any grips, it would destroy the feeling. Besides that, made a more energylike bolt.

Version 1.4: The details break through.
~After some thinking, I came to the decision to make a drop directly. Just looks better and makes the outcome sexier. Added some little details to the gun and colored it.

Version 1.5: ZOMG TRAILS!
~So I've added a trail to the blast, some more details and made the grip a little longer.
Last edited by Nobuddie; Jan 3, 2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Updated.
Looks pretty nice, but I need to see more before I can do any serious commenting.
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
Its looking good, doing pixel art myself i can say that the sphere is very well done, but one thing to note, if you want it to look good, make sure the outline is only 1 pixel, no clumps of 3+ pixels.

You might have already done that, cbf to check ;o
Thank you all for the comments.

Originally Posted by Bilza View Post
Its looking good, doing pixel art myself i can say that the sphere is very well done, but one thing to note, if you want it to look good, make sure the outline is only 1 pixel, no clumps of 3+ pixels.

You might have already done that, cbf to check ;o

Do you mean the outline of the Sphere or the gun?
Both is made with just one pixel line,the gun indeed looks like that on the back part though. Gonna fix it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
Originally Posted by Nobuddie View Post
First of all, I want to thank shook for creating your Pixel Art tutorial, without that, I would've never done it this far.

You're quite welcome.

But anyways, you've got a good start, but there's still a few things that could be fixed fairly easily. For one, the outline of the gun is thicker at some places than others. There's also some places where the outline appears jagged, though i don't know if this is intentional or not. I've taken the liberty of giving it a quick makeover. Firstly, there's those thick outlines:

You'd probably fix those when you started coloring, but hey, might as well do it quickly. Then there's those few cases of a jagged outline...

The one at the back of the gun is pretty small, but the one at the bottom stands out just a bit too much.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the pulse doesn't appear too energetic. I don't know if it is energy at all (you're the artist after all), but energy bolts tend to have a glowing center. Black outlines also tend to work against the energy feeling, but my guess is that it's temporary.

Overall, good start, can't say much more until it's more completed. ;)
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Originally Posted by shook View Post
You're quite welcome. :D

But anyways, you've got a good start, but there's still a few things that could be fixed fairly easily. For one, the outline of the gun is thicker at some places than others. There's also some places where the outline appears jagged, though i don't know if this is intentional or not.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the pulse doesn't appear too energetic. I don't know if it is energy at all (you're the artist after all), but energy bolts tend to have a glowing center. Black outlines also tend to work against the energy feeling, but my guess is that it's temporary.

Thank you very much shook, you are right with the bolt,I'm thinking about recoloring some of the dark parts (of the sapphire bolt) to some slighty darker blue, like the "Adamantium" color in toribash, gonna test it out.

Or maybe even color the Bolt orange? I'll see how things look. :)

The Bolt gets a new outline, I probably will make that one in a tight grey/silver, and then add some kind of little "energy lines" to the outside, as if the energy comes from the core and then kinda looses after a while. You can see this effect in the middle of the "firing" part with those little 2 "claws". I started with a black pixel, then a grey one and then a roughly seeable silver/white one, which you can't see actually, but still makes it end up better.

I was so free to use your fixed model, with the smaller outline. Thanks again.
Last edited by Nobuddie; Jan 2, 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typo fixed.