Toribash
Original Post
[Tex] Robot Gurren Lagann Head texture
I had this head for a long time, should've posted a long time ago. Oh well, long time since I've been on these boards.
Was inspired by the Gurren lagann robot from the anime Gurren Lagann, all drawn on photoshop. I did look at pics for perspective and colour. Some of it was freestyled like the back, but I wasn't too proud of the result :|
Might sell soon, might recolour it, might keep it, who knows.
CC welcome but I am not changing anything major cause I lost the photoshop file :||
Also, if you think the anything needs improving, what would you have done instead? Such as the back which I struggled with.

The flat texture. No copying of course :>
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/v...psaayiefxh.png

photoshop cs6
Last edited by zeddy; Nov 10, 2015 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Another picture
looks nice, would love to see how it looks without shaders
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
Looks very nice overall and I really like your shading style. Has those subtle hue shifts, strong highlights, and whatnot.

As far as C&C goes though. There's some inconsistencies in the shading and other parts that could be done a bit smoother. The sides for instance suggest a really deformed and bumpy surface while I'm sure you wanted those to be smooth round pieces. Also near the bottom of the eye you have a highlight on the face which suggests that the face on that area is extruding out and that there's a strong light hitting that area. However on the turquoise piece near that same highlight you have a darkened off section which suggests that the turquoise piece doesn't extrude out like the face does but instead intrudes into the texture. If this is what you intended then you need to draw a bit more to illustrate the wall formed in between the intruding turquoise surface and the extruding face surface. If not then light will effect the turquoise surface in a similar manner to the face and your shading do the same as well.

tl;dr: Cover up the dark part of the turquoise thing near the eye with your pinky/mouse then try to fill it in with your head based on the surrounding environment.
Last edited by GoodBox; Nov 11, 2015 at 02:29 AM.
(>^_^)>
Thanks for much constructive advice guys, I can't make changes to this piece, but will take it all on board for another one, now that I got photoshop again!

Goodbox - I do remember messing up the sides and for some reason not being able to undo it, because it would have erased a lot of progress if I selected the previous save file. Plenty more reason for me to save more often. D: I also have noticed the inconsistent shading especially at that area you mentioned. It would have been a good idea to lighten up the turquoise bit alongside the grey area I guess? Actually I do remember doing that, but I must have left it because I thought the contrast of the turquoise looked cool x)

Veoo - I was experimenting with highlights, next will be shading haha. As for the mapping of the eyes, any higher and the crown thing above the eyes would have reached too high and crossed the 'forehead' making it look deformed. Could've still been a masterpiece though. >:|

Also, making a different coloured version in white and purple now.
Last edited by zeddy; Nov 11, 2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: :I
Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
I do remember messing up the sides and for some reason not being able to undo it, because it would have erased a lot of progress if I selected the previous save file. Plenty more reason for me to save more often. D:

do you not work in layers?
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
I do, but I think when I saved the progress with the sides created, I took off photoshop. I couldn't undo the progress once I opened the file again :/
I remember the sides being merged with something else accidentally. It's all a bunch of mistakes stopping me from editing it lol
Last edited by zeddy; Nov 11, 2015 at 06:09 PM.
Zeddy i iz masterer recolorer
pls let me touch tihs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Moderated Message:
Be more straightforward with your uplifting messages or I'll fucking skin you alive.