Toribash
Original Post
Alternative.
Any discussion over Alternative bands can be done here, if you say a band name i can give a few short words, or long ones if your into that, about that band.

You can bitch about those same bands as well.

My Favourite Bands.

Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys,The Avalanches, Beck, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Bloc Party, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Bright Eyes, Cake, The Cat Empire, Cat Power, Cornelius, The Dandy Warhols, Elliott Smith, The Flaming Lips, Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz, The Greenhornes, King Crimson, Kings Of Leon, The Kinks, Liars, The Libertines, The Mars Volta, MGMT, Muse, Paul Simon, Pink Floyd, The Pixies, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Racontuers, Radiohead, The Shins, The Strokes, Tool, The Vines, The Violent Femmes and The White Stripes.

EDIT: Thats better

Feel Free, and dont be sad if you say something and it gets put down, it was bound to happen.
Last edited by Puffbunny; Apr 11, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
HEy
I can't agree that Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, or The Beatles were alternative.

Led Zeppelin was simply hard rock.
I have left Toribash, but will drop in occasionally on the forums and IRC. Still in Sigma.
This list fails. You got The Strokes there but you don't have Exploding hearts.
Alterative is a genre which makes no sense. The purpose of a genre is to tell what kinda music a band plays right? If all these bands fall under the term Alternative then the term alternative doesn't say shit because some of these bands are so far from each other. Or you just messed the list I dunno.

by the way Arctic Monkeys got (atleast) one kick ass song though I can't remeber the name.
Originally Posted by hoho123 View Post

I Want To ManBreakfast Massage Me When He Massage I Will Pay

Originally Posted by DaBandito View Post
Alterative is a genre which makes no sense. The purpose of a genre is to tell what kinda music a band plays right? If all these bands fall under the term Alternative then the term alternative doesn't say shit because some of these bands are so far from each other. Or you just messed the list I dunno.

by the way Arctic Monkeys got (atleast) one kick ass song though I can't remeber the name.

That means Pop isnt a genre.

Sorry I forgot to update the list, I copied and pasted from my youtube account.

The Arctic Monkeys kick ass, perhaps the song was 'When the Sun Goes Down' or 'I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor' being their most popular.
Last edited by Puffbunny; Apr 11, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
HEy
Originally Posted by Puffbunny View Post
That means Pop isnt a genre.

Sorry I forgot to update the list, I copied and pasted from my youtube account.

The Arctic Monkeys kick ass, perhaps the song was 'When the Sun Goes Down' or 'I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor' being their most popular.

Pop shouldn't be a genre, but with the decline in quality of popular music in recent years, it all sounds the same. Back in the day, Pop music was far more varied. But alternative really isn't a genre either. Bands move from unpopular to fairly popular and nobody has the balls to draw the line between popular and alternative. Oh well.
Originally Posted by DaBandito View Post

He pretty much fucked it up, yes.
Alternative is being described as a sub-genre (sometimes with a subjective and abstract perimeter) that now exists in many main genres of music, as a form of classification and characterization, as a core concept behind the work of a musician or a group of musicians.
Theres alternative rap, alternative metal, alternative rock, alternative (insert music genre here).... and so on.

Being alternative usually means that you're doing something that does not follow the main trend, it can follow the experimental path, the fusion path, and so on. Sometimes being alternative also means going back to the roots that are now pretty much forgotten and resurrect the spirit and soul of a music genre, which is pretty much ironic.
From my experience with alternative music, its usually something that doesn't sound like the mainstream formula (but not necessarily).

Alternative music is usually nice because it brakes boundaries and often produce originality and a unique pattern. This is specially refreshing when you're sick of a major trend taking over your favorite music genre.
Sometimes alternative music can also be easily mistaken with underground and independent music. And I think that this is not always far from the truth when it comes to some music genres like Rap, for example.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Apr 11, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Alternative is being described as a sub-genre (sometimes with a subjective and abstract perimeter) that now exists in many main genres of music, as a form of classification and characterization, as a core concept behind the work of a musician or a group of musicians.
Theres alternative rap, alternative metal, alternative rock, alternative (insert music genre here).... and so on.

I understand that, If you know the difference between pop and alternative then you dont really have to complain. Why is the list 'fucked up' if it doesent have one band?

Btw, did I say it was a genre? I recall only saying "Alternative bands".

Go to a CD store and look for the alternative sections. You will probably find most of those bands.
Last edited by Puffbunny; Apr 12, 2009 at 07:38 AM.
HEy
I understand that, If you know the difference between pop and alternative then you dont really have to complain. Why is the list 'fucked up' if it doesent have one band?

Btw, did I say it was a genre? I recall only saying "Alternative bands".

Go to a CD store and look for the alternative sections. You will probably find most of those bands.

Led Zeppelin wouldn't be found under that category, I know for damn sure.
I have left Toribash, but will drop in occasionally on the forums and IRC. Still in Sigma.
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Led Zeppelin wouldn't be found under that category, I know for damn sure.

Thats why it isnt there, check much?
HEy
Thats why it isnt there

Only because I called you out on it. Besides, I know for damn sure that Pink Floyd wouldn't be in that category either. And yes, I just checked for Pink Floyd and it's still up.