Toribash
Original Post
Constructive Criticism Megathread
Like the old "decap replay" thread and "single best replay" thread, this is a place where anyone can post a replay and anyone else can critique it, along with posting a replay of their own. However, this thread very much has a focus on constructive criticism. This means that posts such as "8/10 I liked it" will NOT be tolerated and will be deleted, with repeat offenders being reported and possibly infracted as a result.

Seeing as we want good replay critique in this thread, we suggest each critique to be 100 words minimum. This isn't a strict limit (we won't be deleting good, in-depth 80 word posts for example) but it is a strong recommendation! To get an idea of what constitutes a good critique, check out the posts below. Also, make sure to only post one replay at a time!

Let's see if we can get a good replay thread going now, eh?

If you have any questions or comments about this thread, feel free to send a PM to one of the local moderators of this forum.
Attached Files
Last edited by Tamer0; Jun 12, 2011 at 01:14 AM.
Ah yes I very much like this idea. It's great to see a new replay from you as well.

The first 50 frames were very Tamer0, in your sort of funky style of replay making. I love spins assisted by the hand, and yours looked great as well. However, going into the splitkick you seemed to be flailing a bit in the air, I guess I just didn't really like the transition out of the spin. I think you extended your left knee a bit early after the kick, I don't think you got maximum power out of that punch. It would've looked pretty hot with a bit more strength behind it. At around 300, you sort of stuttered a bit before going into an excellent spin into an excellent kick. Very very smooth transition into the pose, no hiccups anywhere in it. Also bonus points for keeping it flawless. Overall this is a pretty good replay, just a few momentum problems that could've been fixed.

Anyway here's my replay ;o
Attached Files
Class D - Wide Awake.rpl (190.2 KB, 164 views)
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~
Alright, so. I enjoyed the initial replay, but there was a few things in there I wasn't that happy about. Around 410 you did a upkick type thing to the front of the glutes, that kick was weird imo, But I liked how you came back with that second kick, looked way better. But around 310ish, you kicked off the ground to get closer, but you contracted your knee which also looked bad(to me) I really enjoyed the decap and pose, really flowed well in this replay. I can't really find much else wrong with it. But I also don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm just a beginner

Since no one ever constructive's my replays(other than like 2 people from #ormo irc), heres one I made like 2 days ago
Attached Files
sk- Eat your veggies.rpl (247.2 KB, 113 views)
Opener was cool, but the way you extended your knee in it didn't look so good, first hit was ok, the boom after that was great, but your movement stopped for few frames between them, the stuff after the boom (frames 360-90) is slow, stiffish and flow lacking, the next hit was fairly stiff, and the last hit was pretty too stiff and overall uglyish. Overall the replay is very decent because the beginning, but the ending could really use a lot more work.

About 80 words, couldn't get any more, delete my post if you guys think this isn't good enough.

Also, never got anything constructive for this replay
Attached Files
Juhizz_A Rite of Passage.rpl (177.6 KB, 111 views)
[duck] 01101000 01101001 01110000 01101111 01110100 01101001 01100010 01101111 01110010
Alright will take note.

In your replay, the opener was a bit meh, It was really stiff and unamusing. I kept watching, not sure where it was, but you contracted both knees which ruined the flow imo(around 360) But I really made up with that from that 5dm boom, it was really sexy. I liked the spin you put on it when you kicked for that boom, it was really cool, although it didn't look like it was at the right angle you got it none the less. The followup to the chest boom was tremendous, Really great transition. but after that it was really slow which I disliked. I know there probably wasn't much more to do, but it looked bad to me that you just sorta floated down Still a great replay other than those small points everything else was amazing

Yet another one that I felt was over looked.
Attached Files
sk- Ohne Dich.rpl (192.2 KB, 79 views)
ok

Well the opener on your replay was quite strange and you seemed to face a different direction but the boom after quickly ended that statment; but still a problem. The transition to the secont boom wasnt great because you just kept with the same grab and raised your shoulder and brought it down again like in the advanced moves tutorial. The booms were pure sex but quite dirty enitialy and the landing to the pose should have been it but you had to move a bit. The replay was great and only small things brought it down, good job.
Attached Files
tsuk- i like skeet [mad].rpl (181.1 KB, 91 views)
You're also welcome to love my Replays
The run that you started off with was kind of ruined by the halt you came to around 620, which really put a dip in your momentum. But it was really picked up by that awesome decap and glute split-er. The only thing I could find un-appealing in that area was the kick on the decap. You didnt follow through, so (to me) it seamed a little weak.
Frames 360-200 were pretty boring though, because you were constantly switching your direction to throw your hand. But you did get the throw in with great accuracy, which I think is one of the hardest things to do in a replay.
In the end, I think the entire replay was wonderful. The only think that I could ask of you, is to work on keeping a constant speed and momentum.

My first serious replay that I made... :')*sniff* brings back memories.
Attached Files
Wolf257~round and round!.rpl (135.4 KB, 73 views)
Last edited by Skolfe; Jun 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
The opener was pretty decent, and I liked how stylish it looked before you contracted both knees in the 320 frame with both glutes extended.

After you grabbed, then your aim was random and the whole replay became really messy. Try to hit with the blocks ( the foot and hand blocks) to make it look better. Also don't try to dm uke while being so close to him, it just looks ugly and random.

A perfect example of precision aiming was the decap you made and that by itself looked really nice and stylish.

Another thing I would point out is to grab less and basically only do it when there is no other way around it. Grabs are best left for manipulation and not dm-ing uke.
Attached Files
#zalmoxis - slain memories.rpl (317.1 KB, 90 views)
When I see this, only the phrase 'pure annihilation' comes to mind. You kept you speed throughout, as well as your momentum. I watched for a very long time, and to tell the truth, it was hard to find anything that you may need to improve on. But, I'd have to say that the split kick to the glutes (286) seemed like it stopped there for a couple frames, and then finally went fully through with the help of your right hand.
Also, you did take 60k points of damage from uke.
Attached Files
Wolf257~Pink tornado!.rpl (96.1 KB, 54 views)
Last edited by Skolfe; Jun 12, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
I've seen many openers that looks a lot like that one. It's fine, but too repetitive.
The set-up to the split was great though, and I'm a big fan of strong dismemberments (which the split was). After that, you keep your flow, but you loose a little of it when you start to "sneak" over uke's body to kick his head off. As I said, I'm a big fan of strong dismemberments, so the decap isn't really my cup of tea. The only thing I liked about the decap, was how well you timed it (with the body spinning). You ruin your flow when you lower your shoulder to get up on the feet, and the pose wasn't really that great. The best part was from frame 400 to frame 300. (The set-up to the kick, and the kick). 8/10

Note: I'm not comparing it to my own replays (since I suck rather hard), but to all replays I've seen.

Now, I'm pretty new at SP replays. Go easy on me <3
I have a lot of random replays, so I couldn't find the one I wanted to.
I found this one while dusting around.
Attached Files
Deadly ballet.rpl (185.4 KB, 62 views)
[Fr3styL]|TNT|Rooyall: Wanna smell my dick? Me: Why not? Rooyall: That's what I ask the girls all the time..