Toribash
Original Post
[Tex] Rape Face
Long time no see people, I've been trying to avoid posting here because I've been afraid of getting some constructive comments... Anyhow, I want to know your opinion on this Manga styled head I've made, tried to base it on myself.. Not exactly, but partially.

Size: 512x512 Pixels
Program Used: Gimp 2.8
Most used tool: Pen tool.
The face is good, especially the eyes. The hair is okay but it could use a lot more shading, and the back is kind of unnatural looking. Try to add more visible strands and shade them. The ears are also maybe a bit too forward and they are kind of lacking in detail, or something. Ignoring the shading and ears, the design and colors are good.
too less rape to call it "rape face"..
I like this face, but there are weird shadows around the eyes. 9/10
Clock: Thanks, very much appreciated.

I'll see what I can do about them ears in future heads, about the hair... I know it lacks shading, It's just that I'm not too sure exactly how to shade... I've been trying all sorts of styles, but can't make anything work... I'll do something about the back though, don't really like it myself tbh.

iZey: Just a random title...

The "weird shadows" is what makes it look pissed, look at the pic below as comparison... It's just that I replaced the thin lines with a black shadow...

derp

Well, first off. It's more of an anime vector than manga, really. Second of all, it's highly cliche.

You have the idea down, decent mapping. The ability to use the pen tool effectively. Etc, etc.
But the big thing here is you can/could be more original. I understand the cartoon style is popular, but it's just so generic to me. I feel like i have seen this exact head a million times.

The next thing i would suggest is studying how anime/manga is actually drawn and try drawing some characters outside of the realm of head textures, to get a better idea of how it actually works. You don't need to do full bodies, but practicing eyes, faces, noses, hair, etc will help big time.

As far as the shading goes, it lacks much depth. Don't be afraid to use grads, air brushes, overlays, etc to achieve great tone and depth.
However, if you are going for a more manga style here, i would suggest getting a tablet or practicing drawing by hand with the mouse a lot. Manga is generally done by hand and not vectored.

Overall, you're on the right track, you just need to experiment outside the cliche cartoon head style.
Done with this community, you guys suck.
Alphasonik: Hah, thanks! Great examples... Working on the head right now ^_^

jusmi: That's awesome, ye... Didn't really think it was "manga" either... But Freelancer kind of said the opposite when I called such heads for "Anime".
Umm... I do use gradients, just saw some other people who had used it got told to keep at the vector shading, and not combine them... Kind of... And thought it would be wrong :/

Thanks though, your criticism is very much appreciated. ^^
Bahaha, they are great.. And believe me I have.

Just wait for some minutes and I'll post an update, you're going to like it ;)