Ranking
Original Post
[REL/WIP] Cars.
Version 2
The rest of the arm/leg joints are enabled with varying speeds to allow for greater speed control. Also, the chest turns more slowly.

There are four joints controlling each wheel. This allows for 2^4 - 1, (2 to the 4th power minus 1) or 15, possible speeds. (this excludes stopped)

If you understand binary, this should be easier to understand.

The innermost joint (pec/glute) is velocity 4.
The second joint (shoulder/hip) is velocity 8.
The third joint (elbow/knee) is velocity 16.
The outermost joint (wrist/ankle) is velocity 32.

The slowest speed other than stopped (hold all) or neutral (relax wrists/ankles, hold everything else) is moving just the innermost joint, and holding everything else. (velocity 4) You can express this with binary - 0001.

To go four velocity units, or one speed, faster, use just the second joint. (velocity In binary, this would be 0010.

For velocity 12, use the two innermost joints. (4 + 8 = 12) 0011.

And so on:
Third joint / 16 / 0100.
Third and innermost joints / 16 + 4 = 20 / 0101.
Third and second / 16 + 8 = 24 / 0110.
Third, second, and innermost / 16 + 8 + 4 = 28 / 0111.
Outermost / 32 / 1000.
Outermost and innermost / 32 + 4 = 36 / 1001.
Outermost and second / 32 + 8 = 40 / 1010.
Outermost, second, and innermost / 32 + 8 + 4 = 44 / 1011.
Outermost and third / 32 + 16 = 48 / 1100.
Outermost, third, and innermost / 32 + 16 + 4 = 52 / 1101.
Outermost, third, and second / 32 + 16 + 8 = 56 / 1110.
All / 32 + 16 + 8 + 4 = 60 / 1111.

Though if you want to be mathematically correct, you'll have to use ternary, because you can hold, contract, or extend joints. But you probably don't care.

There are two files attached: cars2_race.tbm is side-by-side (note that Uke is very slightly forward) and cars2_fight.tbm is facing each other, like the original.

Version 1
Turns the characters into living cars.

Most of the joints are set to zero range, so they're basically stiff.

The wrists and ankles (hidden by the hands and feet, respectively) control the wheels. (the hands and feet) Unfortunately, there's basically top speed and zero, and not much in between.

The chest turns the front wheels. (turning is, of course, easier when the wrists/ankles are set to relax) Of course, real cars' wheels turn quite a bit differently... but this is simpler and works about as well.

Physics are decent: It should work fine, but can be a bit of a pain. Okay, the physics are pathetic. At least, that's what someone else would say. I'd say they're more fun.

Attached Files
cars.tbm (2.7 KB, 70 views)
cars2_fight.tbm (3.2 KB, 23 views)
cars2_race.tbm (6.6 KB, 30 views)
Last edited by cuckooman4; Jan 25, 2009 at 12:46 AM.
wow pretty good. but how bout make it LOOK more complex. and make the cars look more carish iinstead of truckish with 3 segments

I mean, Its great as it is now, but theres still room to improve... and you should perfect it to the best of your ability

Im sure this will become a really sweet mod. keep up the good work
- its been a while
Try making the ankles a little bit smaller than the feet, you can't control the wheels.

EDIT: Sorry, I tried .3 (the same size) and it worked, try that and see if you like it.
Last edited by ublind; Jan 3, 2009 at 12:47 AM.
I'm learning to play the clarinet, it makes cool squeaky noises :)
Think. Build. Create. Roblox!
@blkk: There isn't much else you can do with it without killing realistic dismemberment. I think. Also, yeah, I've been working on a racetrack of sorts. Then, I made a simple Lua script for real-time racing, (think Punchout) and then realized the handling sucks a lot more than I thought. If I release a second version, the chest will be a lot slower.

@ublind: I'm confused now.

@meltha: It's kinda funny. And if the car is upside-down, you can't really do much, so having it fall apart isn't that much worse.
Originally Posted by cuckooman4 View Post
@ublind: I'm confused now.

ublind probably ment that you cant control the wheels by clicking on the joints, which some people prefer to do instead of using Z or X