Toribash
Original Post
[Art] Colored Monkeys
Hey there, I'm back once again.
Lately I've been sitting around the table with a music label called "Colored Monkeys".
It's a fresh young group and they want me to design their style for them.

I've noted them that it should be spelled "Coloured Monkeys" but they insisted on keeping it like they have it now.

Here are my first two drafts:

Draft1, something annoyed me, can you spot it?

You can CnC but I doubt I will change it as unfortunately, the client is king..
I've used Adobe Illustrator CS6.
Last edited by AlphasoniK; May 28, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
i like the first one more because it seems silly to have a black and white logo for the COLORED monkeys
as slycooper said great line art
you already know you're a beast with the pentool
i know you said you're probably not going to change anything but i'll still give this one piece of input
the top monkey is all symmetrical so i feel as though if you take the eyes and have the highlight cutting from the top right corner of each eye rendering the monkey nonsymmetrical it would add a lot to the piece with just that simple change
but that's just my two cents
they're both sweet and i like the tail

edit: also that black drip on the first one seems a bit out of place, especially without it being double toned like the others

<~oyster> i want you to fart near my mouth
Fixed the second logo.
Something really put me off, can you spot it?

Thank you for the kind words.
I'll probably work on the tail some more and I might implement the colours in the second logo as well.

@Vark:
I hear you on the symmetrical thing! I will fix that, I didn't even think about that haha. Thanks.
About the black thing; the label is going to have six different sub-labels, each for a different genre.
Each colour represents a label and one is called "Black". That will be the Electronical music.
Using a colour other than black seems silly, hihi.

That said, we will either change the colour of the monkey for each sub-label or I will find a way to implement the different colours into the design.
Last edited by AlphasoniK; May 28, 2013 at 02:44 AM.
I'm an artist.
If you take some watercolors (red, green, blue, yellow, etc) and splash them on the piece of paper, than add water and blow it in all directions, to get nice colored abstract mush.
Then scan that abstract mush of colors and import it to vector program, than power clip (well, that's how Corel do it) that into the silhouette of the monkey (I'm talking about second logo, because its way better than the first), you will probably have very distinguished color Monkey there!

Try it... You might like the results. And your clients too.
''After the showers is the sun.
Will be shining...''
@Django:
I've thought about using watercolours although I'm quite scared to use them since I'm inexperienced with them.
My initial idea was to use coloured pencils and colour a piece of paper and apply that to a vector. I will play with watercolour or rather, different colours of ink on water base.
Thanks! Will update this shortly.

The label decided on the second logo.
I'm an artist.