Toribash
Original Post
[ART] Thinking about getting back into it...
Hey guys! So I need a hobby again for my spare time! So I thought, well hell, why not get back into art since I don't do a whole lot of it anymore. So I thought of the hardest things that I had a hard time drawing (a year and a half ago was the last time I really sat down to do art) and I figured, it was a hand. There's so many different shapes and such, so I decided to do a clenched one, since it's not too spread out but a little more dynamic (in my opinion) and plus, Tori's hands are always clenched ;)

So before I started the hand. I thought... well shit, instead of just going at it like I usually do, why don't I create a structure. That way when time comes, and maybe one of you want to create a clenched fist, you would have a little bit of an idea by following these pictures... Sort of. So I created a structure, created the guidelines, smoothed and fixed/shaped the guidelines, vectorshaded, added fingernail.

Steps

So, what do you guys think? Hope you guys like it, I was going to do realistic shading but it's 2:30 am, just something I wanted to do quickly, and I like the way it came out vector.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Halloween!!!!!
[u]Ultimate | Team Shit-ido | National GayTerrorist Club |Photoshop Corp.
ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS---BootyShorts
R.I.P UNDEAD21, Beta, and Assazin
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDS

They are and will be my eternal nemeses. You've done pretty well (especially the non-thumb fingers are very good), but there are a couple of things catching my eye:

The thumb. It seems like the first segment is too long, and the middle segment is too short. If you even out their lengths a bit, it'll look better. I'd also advertise a liiittle bit of curve to the base of the thumb on the outside of the hand, but this is a fairly minor detail. Also, the line on the palm caused by the thumb is probably a bit too pronounced; if you look at your own clenched fist, this line is probably quite subtle.

The other side of the hand. Unless you have freakishly skinny hands (or disproportionately wide knuckles??), it's probably going to be more of a soft outwards curve up to the knuckle, instead of the inwards one you have now. Also, once more on the palm, you can safely get rid of the rightmost line, given that it's not really there on real hands. It also makes the hand look like it has a cliff in the middle. :I

I hope you don't mind, but i've taken the audacious liberty of suggesting where the lines for the thumb and otherhandside COULD be:

still Beta's work though

<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Ahhhh!!! I thought somebody would notice the thumb (when I finished it reminded me of megan fox xD). Also yeah, hands are like.... My worst fear in art so I decided to take it on! I might consider in fixing or even making a full on tutorial and take what you said in aspect! Thank you very much!

I should probably sleep but I gotta take my girlfriend to school, only 5 in the morning I will try and fix it when I wake up if I remember Once again, thanks!
-----

Shook?

Last edited by Jak; Oct 20, 2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Halloween!!!!!
Much better, although now the thumb looks a bit like a bent hose. Remember that bones are rigid, and only the joints can bend; everything in between the joints is more or less static (well, obviously subjected to a bit of stretching sometimes, but y'know). You can approximate this with cylinders connected by spheres, although obviously the thumb is a bit meatier than a straight cylinder.

If need be, i can provide an example later. Until then though, try clenching your left hand and look at your totally badass thumb. My fist isn't as good for a reference, since i can't bend my thumb that far inwards. :v
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Ah yeah, the more I stare at it the more I like the slant of the other one but the length/structure of this one... gah not sure if I'm going to open photoshop for this again or do something else
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Halloween!!!!!
My advice if the clenching lines going down in the middle shouldn't be so long but god work.
ShhhMikes Moderated Message:
I need big juicy celery sticks ;3
Apart from what Shook said, the thumb isn't in a natural position, try putting your fist like that and see how uncomfortable it is (If you can even put it in the same position as in the drawing). It's pretty good though. I kinda liked the first shading more