Toribash
Original Post
[Art Discussion] All of your Tribal's Suck.
Get over it. Feel free to debate about how some shitty tattoo design that people get because they think their a badass looks good on your Tori. I will proceed to crush you.

THE WORD: Texture sets take time and effort to make. Tribal sets do not.

Please, let's discuss!
<3
It's ok if it's proper Maori. Bronze skin included.
I'd like to see Hulk get so pissed that he exits his physical body.
Instead of being powered by psychic energy or whatever, he's powered by ARRRGH FUCK YOU
k well thats a bit biased... Ur all welcome to ahve your own oppinions but thats a bit much...

i consider myself one of the better tribal set makers and i find your comments rather offensive, BUT i have to say i agree TO AN EXTENT, i always say that you get tribal artists, then u get tribal artists... the same yet different...

some/most/NEARLY all tribal texture makers just stick a tribal brush on a plain background and say "LOOK AT MY ART" and then i take them to shit because theyv just proved the tribal stereotype right...

then you get my sets... where i use them more as french curves than straightout tribal brushes... using gradients and basic filters i can come up with stuff thats quite good looking... i can make a set out of ONE brush and make each texture look completly different by some basic brush editing with the eraser and pen tool...
head wise i can make them look figurative, rather than just a brush on a face

examples:
*goes searching through photobucket album*
chances are that iv used the same brush two or three times in these heads

even these were made using tribals:
lets see you try make the korne beserker out of tribal brushes "quickly"

and body textures more like patterned body suits or elaborate armour rather than tribal sets
for example my personal set, and previous 2 sets, riseagainst, mosier and kai-tigers sets have some sort of form to them rather than just random brushing

a GOOD tribal set can take just as long to make as any other set...
Last edited by BenDover; Nov 23, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
You are arguing preference now? Terrible.
I mean, the set benD made for me is total tribal spam, but I like it 100x better than a lot of the complicated and abstract shit people try to pull off in the texture board.
Just because something isnt amazingly hard to do, doesnt mean it sucks, you know?
5:13 PM - vasp: everybody's nuts is so good
[00:18:38] <&vespesi3n> you should see when i swallow
[21:49:37] <&vespesi3n> >my mouth when
[21:49:43] <&vespesi3n> >my tastebuds when
it is not spam i actually did the whole "thinking" thing with it and brush editing aswell
placement is important to make a set look good
also, just because one can do tribal sets doesnt mean they cant do any other styles, made a fair few robotic and realistic sets
The problem with Tribal-Brushes (also fractal, grunge, ...) is that several people sell those sets to Gimp/PS-unexperiaced people.
Tribals just look good, thats why those Gimp/PS-unexperiaced people buy them.
If they knew that they onyl need to download gimp to create them theirselves they wouldn't pay (the sometimes quite high) prices.
Also There are so many Brush-Shops, the real art shops like the one of LANPENNER don't get noticed as much as they would deserve.

Ofcouse ther are few exeptions, like BDs tribal designs.
He edits the Tribals and places them so that they result in a overall great composition, which takes nearly the same time as a "normal" set i guess.

To summ it up:
Tribal-brush sets take the money of the people who buy them in the imagination to look badass.
This way they take them the money for real-art sets.
Since we already got that far that the real-art shops are barely known, the people keep spending the money on tribal sets, which leads to a "bankruptcy" of all the real-art shops and slowly pushes them out of the market. So the Tribal-brsuh shops get even more popular and the real-art shops keep disapearing.
Someday most of the real-art shops will be gone and everybody will run arround wearing simple tribal-spam sets.

Maybe then the need for real-art sets will grow aggain.
Artist: Nightmare | Previous Owners: --- | Resolution: 512 | Modifications: On Request, No fee if simple

overpriced
Indeed. It can look awesome, but the thing is- Artists don't like when other artists sit for five minutes, making a texture set that, for the untrained eye, looks better than his own he's been doing for several hours. I understand why people like tribals, they are good to look at, but- think about what the texture maker did as well.
what the texture maker went through doesnt matter when ur buying a set, it only matters if ur gna wear it yourself...
for customers, the thing that matters is the end product
an asthetically pleasing set will normally beat a technically excellent set but not as good looking in a request

Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Maybe then the need for real-art sets will grow again.

imo the need has just recently sprung up again, with you and hanz0 taking the high end requests and upping the level of realism in texture sets youve decreased the value of tribals and abstract pieces. with the combination of that and people like lanpenner, pa360, nasuke, golgo and others coming into the limelight, the nub tribal makers and people like me are having to try harder in requests. i mean i dont count myself as a tribal artist, cus i do other styles aswell, but i do make tribal sets which look nice compared to other sets,

it just means that with the quality of texture makers around nowadays, i cant simply come up with a tribal set just because im feeling lazy, cus though my sets can take long to make, it, more often than not, takes alot less effort to make seeing as ALL the designs and shapes i want are there in the brushes, i just have to see what i want out of the brushes.

hate these arguments... feels like im pumping my own ego =/
Last edited by BenDover; Nov 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Seriously, you have the wrong idea Stonewall... for instance people like BenD actually take their time on tribals on the other hand people who are inexperienced( like heads in my shop) who mostly just take the coolest "tribal brush" we can find and put it somewhere on the head. but Stonewall your opinion is your opinion
Hi it's Praeter
The true artist master all technique including Tribals.

i don't think its nice to insult the art.

and I don't think I will waste my time discussing this topic.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]