Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Original Post
The current state of the texture market in Toribash
I used to play Toribash back in 2009-2010 when artists like Gabiel, Mrama, and Vermine were active in texturing and I gotta say.. Where has all the art and skill gone? Even besides these elite artists, there were TONS of people making their own textures too and a good amount of it looked good even if they weren't "Toribash famous". The art market was booming.

Now? I check the art/textures board and the first page still has the same topics on it that it had yesterday, some of them still without a reply. Artists like Advens (no offense, sorry, your work is good but not THAT good) get away with selling sets for a high price whereas back in the day his sets would probably go for a lot cheaper because it seemed standard that people made art as good as his work. Just an example.

I can't even think of many good set makers that exist right now. Zwift, 00Assassin00, Advens.. They're all good but it's like I can hardly think of other names. Who's considered the best? Flyingmonk is, yet I personally feel with the amount of c/p used his sets look like way too much detail to care.. meaning there's too many small things and lines, I can't even tell what's going on outside of the head. Sets back then didn't have to have explicit detail to be great. On a side note.. I personally think Ezeth makes the coolest sets currently. I've only seen three, but they're all fully jointed and there's just enough detail to be right without going overboard. Pretty cool.

Where has the art gone, guys? Is Toribash dying or some shit? We need to get the art back.
Where has the art gone? We are simply advancing. Back in 08 most sets were comprised of 3 simple shapes and contrasting colors.

I can say personally, as of now art is at its peak in toribash
With inspiring artist such as veoo, and masters such as Zwift .
Last edited by Worm; Oct 13, 2015 at 11:04 PM.
u mean like these?
-Goodbox
-Jebus
-13chillz
-Vermine
-Pheature
-Membrain
-Aveance
-Yiazmat
-Vitiek
-Ferrock
-Chris
-AlphasoniK
-Clockwork8
-GuyX
-Xjuicy
-Doxxy
-Bendover
-Mrama
-Tapion

almost all have gone actually or busy as fuck
Originally Posted by Pidgenere View Post
Where has the art gone? We are simply advancing. Back in 08 most sets were comprised of 3 simple shapes and contrasting colors.

At it's peak? Like I said, there's a few new topics on the texture board a day; maybe a full page with some filler on a good day.. And even less actually good sets a day. I know you think Veoo is someone to watch out for, and he can make pretty good robot heads and I've only seen him improve but he's a friend of mine and he told me he hates making sets. He doesn't know how to map them properly and really doesn't have the interest. I feel this limits him.

Zwift is indeed a good artist and I can't say much negative about him, but if you think Veoo and Zwift contend against many of the artists Marci just posted, I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree. Have you ever seem the work of Gabiel? Vitiek? Vermine? Mrama? Aveance? Pate5? Even artists that I don't like the work of I can still see they're amazing artists. For something to be at it's peak means it would have to be at it's best. What we're seeing now isn't the best; It's good, but it comes in small quantities at what I feel is long intervals and it's not "peak-worthy" I believe.

You can argue that sets back then were made with simple colors and contrast, but arguing with logic doesn't take away the fact that they just looked better anyway. :P

Disclaimer: no offense at all to Zwift or Veoo. Veoo is a friend of mine and makes good heads. I actually own a Zwift head and have expressed interest in owning a set made by him in the past.

Gbleek

More art doesn't equal better art. You could have mediocre 50 artists putting out a day, and only 2 other good artists putting out a day, the 2 good artists would be rathered then the 50 artists..

Gbleek

More art doesn't equal better art. You could have mediocre 50 artists putting out a day, and only 2 other good artists putting out a day, the 2 good artists would be rathered then the 50 artists..

But I also said that there were many artists that weren't big names and they still made quality art. There were artists back then that had the same quality art as Zwift and Advens that weren't big names; that's why the Art/Textures board was so great back then. Not only did you have the more famous artists putting out bitchin' sets, but you had many other artists who still had quality work that sold their sets much more frequently than people are selling today. Quantity=/=quality, but when you can have both, it trumps what we have today.

Are you crazy? In 08 veoo or Zwift wouldn't have even been able to win reqs. There was probably 200 or more artists of equal or greater skill.

Yeah, simple shapes and contrasting colors LOL as if.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I stand corrected, someone pmed me some art from 08 and it was really impressive. Just guess I went on in toribash with people trying to shove Advens sets with a whopping two colors down my throat.
back then i was in college and most of the other well known texturers were in school or a similar situation were we had tonnes of time and youthfull enthusiasm.
now 5-6 years later, we are no longer in college and dont have the patience, time or enthusiasm required to spend hours/days working on sets and fictional currency is irrelevant now that we have everything we need.

the newer generations havnt delivered like i hoped, the scene has stagnated.

it hit its peak a year ago, when the GATA and other old boys hit a bout of activity and we did some cool things. and that was the most progress we'd seen in the art community in years.
there have been a few individuals between 2010-2013 that have impressed, but none stayed around long enough to become staples in the scene.
recently, the most interesting texturer is liffusted, and he still has a ways to go.

if anything, progress raises the standard and sets the bar too high for newer artists to meet.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
I'm posting here again because I want to show how bad the problem is. Check these two threads in the art board out.

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=536583
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=527188

Both of these users are looking for high quality art; both have gotten to page 3 and the best posted was an Aveance set that they didn't want because, ironically for the situation of there not being much good NEW, it's been passed around so much. The posts in these threads are slow going and nothing much is getting accomplished. Will they find good quality art? Maybe, there's a good possibility. But the rate at which they will is very slow and there's just.. nothing new going on.

I think that there should be events that encourage texture making to bring up new artists and allow them to realize their abilities / bring back old artists.