Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Original Post
[TEX]A WIP new set for myself
It's been a loooooooooooooong time since I did textures, but I got bored and decided to try my hand at making myself a new set at 512x512. I'll be sticking with the vertical mono-eye and general color scheme of my current set (and may simply upscale a few of the bits and pieces that I particularly liked) but the rest will be all new.

I've not bothered to link my reference images because I'm pulling elements from dozens of different ones. If you're curious where a particular element came from feel free to ask and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

Current state (V4 head, neck, partial arms and torso):

Archived progress

Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
I use Photoshop. The pen tool is my best friend.

Last edited by Arthur; Apr 27, 2014 at 03:02 PM.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
I personally enjoyed the larger eye as it becomes more of a trademark/icon as well as a larger focus area. nice head concept however.
A vertical 'visor' instead of a typical horizontal one,
looks interesting!
But the glow effect you have going on, on the
visor/light looks like it blurs just a little bit too much.
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
When I first looked at your sketch, I thought it looked more like a gladiator's head. The long vertical lines in between the face looked like a nose, and the dark gap below looks like a mouth. Didn't know it would have ended up as a mono-eyed robot head tho. :O I like it, needs rune encryptions.
initial sketches: MEGATROOOOOOOON

the eye slits and the vertical mono eye conflict a bit, the eye slit isnt so noticable, but is noticable enough to confuse them with being actual eyes, leaving the vertical mono eye as a nose type thing.

with the eye slit there, it makes the front look too small, id just suggest you get rid of it.

and add some of those highlights to that light grey mantle bit, make it look slightly raised
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
WEIRD cause i thought

"hanz0 must be playing too much Republic Commando"

I've been devoting a little project. Mind if I "steal" your sketches?
Originally Posted by 13chillz View Post
I personally enjoyed the larger eye as it becomes more of a trademark/icon as well as a larger focus area. nice head concept however.

Yeah, it just kept getting narrower and narrower as I worked through the initial mockup phase. I agree though, might try widening it a bit.

Originally Posted by ThePirateKing View Post
A vertical 'visor' instead of a typical horizontal one,
looks interesting!
But the glow effect you have going on, on the
visor/light looks like it blurs just a little bit too much.

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by iAwesome View Post
When I first looked at your sketch, I thought it looked more like a gladiator's head. The long vertical lines in between the face looked like a nose, and the dark gap below looks like a mouth. Didn't know it would have ended up as a mono-eyed robot head tho. :O I like it, needs rune encryptions.

Heh, I see what you mean. And yeah, I'll probably be adding some more Nonfunctional Glowing Lines (TM) to it.

Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
initial sketches: MEGATROOOOOOOON

the eye slits and the vertical mono eye conflict a bit, the eye slit isnt so noticable, but is noticable enough to confuse them with being actual eyes, leaving the vertical mono eye as a nose type thing.

with the eye slit there, it makes the front look too small, id just suggest you get rid of it.

and add some of those highlights to that light grey mantle bit, make it look slightly raised

Uncertain what you mean by the "eye slits" - do you mean the horizontal part of the dark T-shaped area? Or that entire T-shaped bit?

Originally Posted by avwave View Post
WEIRD cause i thought

"hanz0 must be playing too much Republic Commando"

I've been devoting a little project. Mind if I "steal" your sketches?

Oh man I remember that game. I wasn't actually pulling from it for inspiration but I can definitely see the similarity now that you mention it. And yeah, go for it!

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
B&B&B&
Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
Uncertain what you mean by the "eye slits" - do you mean the horizontal part of the dark T-shaped area? Or that entire T-shaped bit?

the black horizontal bit.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
I think you should try putting a brushed steel look, or any kind of texture because it looks too bland.

Otherwise it looks good, great idea, cant wait to see the finished product.
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
the black horizontal bit.

Ah, that's supposed to be a shadow. Too strong?

Originally Posted by TomWanks View Post
I think you should try putting a brushed steel look, or any kind of texture because it looks too bland.

Otherwise it looks good, great idea, cant wait to see the finished product.

There's a fairly subtle carbon fiber pattern on it but yeah, brushed steel might look better. I'm also probably gonna do a bit of splatter on the end product so it's not so perfect-looking.

B&B&B&