Toribash
Original Post
[Art]New To Shading
Hey I am new to this shading stuff . I wanted to draw a cup and went with the flow and then i created a table with pinish old texture just middle one is made rest is cp . it took me around 1.3hours so i hope you like it

Dem Softwares are known as GIMP

i made a skull wow UPDATE

Please add the software used. ~Chris
Last edited by SKITZOFRENIK; Jul 6, 2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: GIMP
I'm a wordsmith cursed with verses and the worst shit.
A vile winged wicked bird who no one lurks with.

Not a bad piece of advice, but isn't it a bit rude to just say "lern2draw" to someone who's trying to learn to draw? Anyways, i might as well try to offer some pointers:

The outer side of the cup is decent enough, if a bit smudgy. However, you missed a little detail about cups and other hollow cylinders; the inner side of it DOES NOT have shadows in the same place as the outer side. I happen to have a shoddy example of what i mean. Notice how the shadow inside the cup is on the opposite side of the shadow on the outer side.

Also, in your drawing, the shadow from the cup FALLS TOWARDS THE LIGHT. Shadows don't work like that, i'm afraid. They always point directly away from the light, full stop. The length of the shadow then depends on the height of the light source and the angle of the surface that the shadow is falling on, but mostly you can get away with winging it.

The texture on the table is also very obviously looped. Ideally, if you do have to loop a texture, it shouldn't be evident.

Besides that, it's mostly just a matter of practicing your stuff. I know it's the most ubiquitous advice ever, but it's sadly(?) the only way to get better at drawing.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
It's not that hard to go on youtube and see it for yourself to be honest. There is an abundance of 'How to shade' tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqGkHWC5IU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNagfl4piJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzszH9BN_hI
These are some examples.

@Shook

Yeah, it might have been a little rude. I'm just too lazy to write more in my post so I just stuck with that. What I meant by "Learn to shade with a pencil" and "If you can't draw in real life, don't go into digital' Is that it's a lot easier to learn values and what not in real life, and it just bothers me that people go straight into digital because they think it's easier or doesn't require as much skill.
i forgive you but that advice mate
i love it thanks very much
-----

i made this again this time with the help of god damn youtube
Last edited by SKITZOFRENIK; Jul 6, 2014 at 09:06 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump

Look at how this skull isn't flat.
It's all about the shadows. And you haven't even got the basics down.
Stop what you are doing right now. Grab a pencil and a piece of paper. Learn.
Before that: Please don't post for the whole world to see.
Because there aren't much more to say about your "art" right now. At all.
Just keep practicing and if you actually like art you will push through.
If you start crying after reading this: Grow up. Life isn't handed to you on a silver platter. You have to grab life by the balls and yank as hard as you can to get anything really great out of it.
Jalis: Freelancer, you're a duck | Sachi: Freelancer, you're a duck | Reanimator: Freelancer, you're a duck
satiknee: Freelancer, you're a duck | Wiggi: Freelancer, you're a duck | Tarlan: Freelancer, you're a duck
Thank you
BTW offtopic your names is Freelacer and one of eminems freestyle is Weed lacer i think thats funny

It's not funny.
Jalis: Freelancer, you're a duck | Sachi: Freelancer, you're a duck | Reanimator: Freelancer, you're a duck
satiknee: Freelancer, you're a duck | Wiggi: Freelancer, you're a duck | Tarlan: Freelancer, you're a duck
Originally Posted by SKITZOFRENIK View Post
Thank you
BTW offtopic your names is Freelacer and one of eminems freestyle is Weed lacer i think thats funny

That was no where near logical.
and it wasn't even a funny kind of illogical.

/backontopic.

The cup in itself is bad.
its a 3d cylinder, with a 3d handle.
meaning you could have shaded the handle.
and your shading is just bad.

the fuck man.

second.
If you cant draw a background
dont fucking use some random clip art.
oh god this would be ten times worse if there was no background.
I would suggest penciling shit out on paper(if you know how) and scanning it//taking a picture and transferring it to your comp, because the linework on this is just BAD.

The skull is slightly better since there isn't a disgusting rusty background or whatever.
but you still don't understand shading.
shadows don't do this.

just putting this here cause you obviously need it :

Light comes from a source usually above your object, meaning that shadows are cast in the opposite direction of the light.
Examples :
damn im gettin old