Toribash
Original Post
[Art]Enigma

Project for school.
The photo used is shot by myself and the model is me as well, brushes are self made.

Things I'm thinking of:
Cleaning up right bottom corner.
Moving the blue bar in front of the face to behind the face.

Constructive critique is always nice.
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
it's very abstract, and the noise is annoying. try to use less noise, give it more of a grungy texture using overlays and stuff
pennis and also dicke and balls
The bright line across his face annoys me.
"God praise your soul. <3"
~ZeToxiiK
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~[Pain] is inevitable, whether you choose to suffer or preserve sooner or later, [Pain] will find you.~~
Its all very dense, feels like very thick paint
feels very busy with the noise, picture looks like its supposed to be calm
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
too noisy. Try to put a text next to that black box.
Seniman Elektronik Indonesia | GATA
Got any questions ? Throw me a PM or just mention @toriabiz on Twitter
Noise+colors are supposed to represent the universe.
Noise = stars etc.

It's supposed to give an eerie/dense feel Bend, it's called Enigma for a reason.
The universe is puzzling, we don't know a lot about it.

I agree with the white/blue line across my face.

Idea behind it was to make art about how I feel.
I'm still searching for a lot of things, I've got a lot of uncertainties.
I think the picture displays that pretty well.

Text will be on a different page, since I'm making a little book.
Book will contain a page with text and on the other side of the spread a picture.
I'm an artist.
Originally Posted by AlphasoniK View Post
Noise+colors are supposed to represent the universe.
Noise = stars etc.

It's supposed to give an eerie/dense feel Bend, it's called Enigma for a reason.
The universe is puzzling, we don't know a lot about it.

Idea behind it was to make art about how I feel.
I'm still searching for a lot of things, I've got a lot of uncertainties.
I think the picture displays that pretty well.

None of that comes across very strongly though.
if i cant tell what the message or representations are, then i dont see the point in them.
Im assuming that like me, everyone just saw a pretty cool picture. you see it because you made it, but i struggle seeing it even with your explanation.
I see more of a sunset and beach scene, not the universe and uncertainty.
at most, you look contemplative, but victoriously so, like you finally understand after thinking about it.
the noise comes across as purely aesthetic
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
and what the lines should rappresent? the square?

I mean... perhaps it have to describe your feelings... but it doesnt do it much well.. choises of colours look pretty random and bad to me. This relating the noise to the universe and stars look a bit extreme.

I agree with bend... beside that it look a bit random to me.

Remember that a piece of art which describe you or your feelings is good only when ppl get that feeling and understand it.

As you said:
"I'm still searching for a lot of things, I've got a lot of uncertainties."

then make it look lost... put emptiness in it... looking for answers.
Put feelings in it. not some brush and a shape.

also... glad to see you have the same feelings the 99% of world population experience quite often in life.
I appreciate the comments.

But I think chicken89 should learn a bit about constructive criticism.
You are always negative, even though the work you do yourself is definitely far from perfect.
Also, why the stupid "also... glad to see you have the same feelings the 99% of world population experience quite often in life." It makes 0% sense and makes you look stupid.
Most of your posts do. Thought I'd give you an heads up, please bring the trolls to fight me now.

You really need to get your head out of godmode.

BenDover:

I really don't see victory in there.
But I'll see what I can do to make it look like an enigma some more.
I'm an artist.
Hey Alpha, I'll put down some of my thoughts:

If you want to post a piece of art here, you should be able to take critique. Chicken is actually giving you very good advise. I don't see anything negative there. He's telling his opinion about your piece of art. He's not critiquing your person but your art. And please, please never talk about HIS own art. It doesn't have anything to do with this. All art critics should be great artists with your logic, right? That's really just a very bad excuse.

If you want to improve, you've gotta hear what others think about it. Art is not just putting your feelings down a canvas, you must be able to transfer those feelings to others. If no one sees what's going on there, they dont get the feeling you want.

Now about the piece:

I think using noise all around makes zero sense. Human eye is drawn to contrast. If you've got noise everywhere, it totally loses the power. If you use noise in some parts, it will take attention. I think you want the character to be the focal point. Usually if the main focal is totally centered the piece gets boring. Try dividing the picture into eight equal sized part and put the interesting things at the lines dividing the picture and the spots where they meet each other. You can google rule of thirds for more information about that. The eye is also instantly drawn to the green and blue spots of color at the very bottom of the piece: everything else is drawn with warm colors but the blue and green are cold so they receive maybe too much attention? Usually color warmness is nice for creating depth: if the foreground is warm, background should be cooler.

Edit: If you want to give the noisy area more space-ish feeling, try google some hubble pictures. Starfields aren't just random noise. Sorry if my text is a bit confusing, I'm just a student :P
Last edited by Pate5; Mar 8, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Texturing tutorial
No requests please