Toribash
Original Post
[Art] Child self portrait
So this is a self portrait of me as a child. This took me a couple of hours but I like the outcome. But I want to know what you guys think of it. This is my the first self portrait I've done, so comments of what to change/ do differently next time would be great. Thanks

pic

Is the reference picture the same as your avatar?

Anyways, looks alright with some decent effort put into the shading?
If this is your first portrait it isnt a bad result. But overall there are many things out of position, the face has a strange rotation in comparison with the head.

Suggestion: don't start with children, they are more difficoult than adults. Especially smiling children.
The facial structure if a bit off, but your shading work looks promising. The hair for example is really good.

A photo for comparison would indeed be useful, it's possible that you just have a slightly odd facial structure
one time i had a hair deep in my urethra and when i pulled it out it felt kinda good ~fudgiebalz 2020

<~Skul> they're not children, they're demon midgets
<~Skul> if you kill one in front of the rest, they'll scatter and leave
Thanks everyone I've decided to draw this again when I get the chance again to see if I could put your advice to work. But I can't get the original photo atm because I was visiting my mom's house and the picture is framed and just drew it from there. Hopefully I can get the time to do this again.

I wanted to change it up a bit from just doing animals... but humans are just harder to draw.. for example;

http://imgur.com/ONYQCxU
Last edited by Nate; Feb 26, 2015 at 04:21 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump