Toribash
Original Post
Introduce a genre with five +1 albums.
Well, Toribash, it's time to knock it up a notch.

BAM

Post in this thread a series of five + 1 albums (and the order in which to listen to them) that you would use to introduce someone to a genre. The +1 is a "special addition" you'd add for those who enjoy the five.

Post a video of track one of the first album as an exposure. Feel free to comment on a genre you are unfamiliar with or, if you consider yourself an expert, critique the other persons selection of albums.

I'll start with Goa (basically psytrance with an indian influence and hippies).

1. Pleiadians - IFO. In my opinion a contender for best goa album.
2. Hallucinogen - Twisted. Hailed by a large number of people as the definitive goa album.
3. Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom. This album is for a bit of a breather, it's really easy to get into given that its sort of a goa/psy hybrid with some tracks like "None of this is Real" being examples of buttrock goa. One of my favourite albums of all time.
4. Infected Mushroom - The Gathering. We're entering more a traditional goa/buttrock goa type of thing here.
5. Man with no Name - Teleport. We have arrived.

+1. Etnica - The Juggeling Alchemists Under the Black Light. Another contender for the best goa album (incidentally from the same guys as #1). It's a bit of an exception rather than the rule, though.

Keep the flaming to a minimum and one genre per post and no double posting.

The next genre I introduce you to will be psybient.
Good idea. I'll go with melodic death metal. Meldodic death metal (melodeath) combines the intensity of death metal with the melody of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

1: Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk. Excellent album that truly defines the genre.
2: The Absence - From Your Grave. An incredible mixture of thrash and melodeath, this album truly cemented the genre in North America.
3: Ensiferum - Iron. Great album that include both folk and power metal.
4: Kalmah - Swampsong. Includes some of the most incredible guitar work from the very first track.
5: Wintersun - Wintersun. The melodic guitar work flows beautifully throughout the album.

+1: Ember to Inferno - Trivium. Included it as an extra because it isn't strictly melodic death metal but still has influences from the genre.

VERY IMPORTANT: THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE. IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT ME THEN PM ONAMIST.
Originally Posted by SLAPPED View Post
Good idea. I'll go with melodic death metal. Meldodic death metal (melodeath) combines the intensity of death metal with the melody of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

1: Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk. Excellent album that truly defines the genre.
2: The Absence - From Your Grave. An incredible mixture of thrash and melodeath, this album truly cemented the genre in North America.
3: Ensiferum - Iron. Great album that include both folk and power metal.
4: Kalmah - Swampsong. Includes some of the most incredible guitar work from the very first track.
5: Wintersun - Wintersun. The melodic guitar work flows beautifully throughout the album.

+1: Ember to Inferno - Trivium. Included it as an extra because it isn't strictly melodic death metal but still has influences from the genre.

YOU BASTARD WHERE THE HELL IS COLORS

J-Pop I guess.

Nirgilis - BOY - acchu IWATAs voice makes me jizz everytime I hear it...
Ellegarden - 11 Firecrackers - Essentially a Japanese Yellowcard to a T.
i.L.L. - Rock Album - Space Rock is fun.
Flow - Golden Coast - Another classic
Denki Groove - Dragon - I'm sure you all know who they are

Annnnd...

Bivattchee - Blue Bird Journey

Last edited by Eureka; Jan 20, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
[18:04:54] <aracoon> Eureka is a powerhungry fag
[13:13] <Eureka> also dota is kinda for pigfuckers
[13:13] <jalis> ban eureka
[13:13] <jalis> thanks
Very nice idea m0o, I do hope you choose more electronic genres, it would help get people (me :P) familiar with the different genres.
Originally Posted by Take-Out_Ninja View Post
YOU BASTARD WHERE THE HELL IS COLORS

J-Pop I guess.

Nirgilis - BOY - acchu IWATAs voice makes me jizz everytime I hear it...
Ellegarden - 11 Firecrackers - Essentially a Japanese Yellowcard to a T.
i.L.L. - Rock Album - Space Rock is fun.
Flow - Golden Coast - Another classic
Denki Groove - Dragon - I'm sure you all know who they are

Annnnd...

Bivattchee - Blue Bird Journey

Jpop and no Utada Hikaru - First Love (alternatively Deep River)? Although it's got fairly heavy RnB influences, it is the highest selling japanese album of all time

No Kotoko? No Ayumi Hamasaki?
Last edited by m0o; Jan 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Suppose not.

Meh, should have revised my list :S
[18:04:54] <aracoon> Eureka is a powerhungry fag
[13:13] <Eureka> also dota is kinda for pigfuckers
[13:13] <jalis> ban eureka
[13:13] <jalis> thanks
80's THRAAASH.

Slayer - Reign In Blood
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic Of Violence
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Kreator - Pleasure To Kill

Don't listen to these if YOU'RE a pussy.

User was infracted for misusing your
Last edited by m0o; Jan 21, 2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: B&B&B&
This is the Emergency Alert System. All normal programming has been discontinued during this emergency.
I'll try but don't expect a great job.

Grunge
The Melvins-Gluey Porch Treatments
Pearl Jam-Ten
Nirvana-In Utero
Soundgarden-Superunknown
Alice In Chains-Dirt

+1 Stone Temple Pilots-Purple
FUCKING MAGNETS EVERYWHERE IN THIS BITCH
Alright, guess I will give it a try.

Will try to show off some of my favourite symphonic/progressive/power metal. Yeah, it is a little hard to divide each of these bands as they contain more then one specific genre some contains more then one.

Anyways, let me get started.

1. Sonata Arctica- Ecliptica. The album Ecliptica with its song "kingdom for a heart" was my absolutely first power metal song I ever heard and also what got me hooked, before this I listened only to electronical music. Sonata Arctica has quite the large fanbase and they are from Finland.

Great power metal.

2. Dreamtale- Oceans Heart. Alright, I listened to my album from Sonata Arctica but I didn't know anything about the rest of the power metal scene or the metal scene all togheter, so I took a risk. Went to the local music store and found one album by Dreamtale, I wasn't dissapointed, one of the absoultely best power metal bands of all time (will hear that alot). They are like Sonata Arctica from Finland.

Awesome power metal with a more "epic" feeling to their songs then Sonata Arctica.

3. Rhapsody of fire- Dawn of Victory. Alright, this time we got a symphonic/power metal band on our hands, originally named Rhapsody but due to copyright problems they had to change their name. Their songs are really epic and I want to say the same thing about this which I already said for the other two bands above, they are great.

Oh, they have some of the best vocals out there in my opinion.

4. Stratovarius- Elements Pt.1. Wished I heard about this awsome power metal band sooner, they are also from Finland like my first two choices (I am starting to love Finland, should marry it sometime). Its earlier albums aren't as enjoyable in my opinion but the element albums are really awsome.

5. Fairyland- Score to a new beginning. My current favourite band, the songs from this album could be said to be a mix between prog/power/symphonic metal. They are not from Finland but France (yay!).

The album is from 2009 and has a real fresh sound to it.

+1 Couldn't resist to throw in a song from Fairyland. It might be a little to long for someone that doesn't listen to this type of metal and it might feel to drawned out, but it is currently my favourite song of all time.

Tried to keep it as clean as possible, I believe it can be fairly easy to pick up power metal, I found alot synth and such which reminded me about electronical music, but that was just me.

Enjoy.

Edit: Also, the music posted by m0o is some of the best thing I ever heard.
Last edited by Madouken; Jan 22, 2010 at 07:12 AM.
Dirt dosen't need luck
Eh, I'll give this a try I guess.

Actually not. I don't seem to have 6 artists of any one real genre. Unless you want to count overly vague bullshit like "Rock" and "Alternative." (alternative to what?)

Also gj on the lists guys.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well