Ranking
Original Post
[IMG]School shiz
So I'm in college for Visual communications.

Made this for an assignment, would love critique, GOGOGO

Click for Larger Size^^^^^^
Former Item Forger
Looks like he just stepped out from the Time Vortex
It's not hard to make this so: 5/10 for art and 5/10 for idea.
Add some lighting around that guy, it will look cool.
let me clear things up a bit.

in art, effort means nothing compared to the end image.
also, the theme of this image was meant to be dark, adding light around me would make it seem as if it's meant to be a heavenly portal or some shiz. Also, not exactly very easy, takes knowledge of a lot of advanced features of photoshop, extensive knowledge of masking, and extensive knowledge of the rightful use of filters and layers.

good idea, but not for this theme.
Former Item Forger
i dunno, when i see that vortex looking thing... i think
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/u...scene_high.jpg
but nuts was better =/

overall i really dont like it =/

for a visual studies student, i think it should have been better.
visual studies place ALOT of emphasis on process and technique, so your statement of time/ effort is mostly void.
dont think your concept is strong enough and nor do i think the image is strong enough.
the blur around you takes away from the focal point. doesnt look like much editing has been done to the forest, except for maybe saturation, which you did the oppositte of what you should have done. desaturate the background and saturate the focal point.
if its a void type thing, would it be pushing out wind/energy? the braches on the side of the road should have been blown away

need to work on presentation of your pics. a border and your name in the pic would really help.

and for fuck sakes! buttons done up on a golf shirt? come now stups! UNBUTTON

pretty harsh =/ soz
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Needs shadow below you man.
It really looks like you just copy pasted yourself in here.
The render of yourself and the background just doesn't match.

About the vortex, it's coming from your hands, but it's somehow making a sphere around you,
which doesn't seem really logical to me. Also I think the color burn (?) could be a little less
clear. It really stands out, which isn't the idea for the pic I guess.

And as Ben already said: Buttoned up?!
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
Ouch! And I thought I was harsh...
I said it was easy to do cause I work in Photoshop pretty much every day so it is easy from my point of view. You maybe have spent lots of time and effort to make this but i the end it looks simple and, sorry, but i don't see dark story behind this. Can u explain more what u wanted to present, cause that looks like Harry Potter on his stroll trough forest...
well, I do see your guys' points, but for BenD's comment, It's the first week of my class m8, one class per week, so yea..

as for the sphere around me, the idea was that the "magic" coming from my hands would invert creating the 'protective sphere' or whatever around me.

shadows in original bg go left to right, if you look on the ground I have added a shadow that goes left to right. Should it be darker? not sure.

as for the shirt, I just got off of work at BK, didn't bother to unbutton, HOLYCALMDOWN BEND!
Former Item Forger
Adjust your colour curves, you don't quite look like you are in the image, as apposed to on top of it.

Hm, I'm not really feeling the dark theme. Perhaps add in some saturation and shading gradients to get that darkness happening. Maybe desaturate the background a bit, to try keep the focus on.
That could also help with the first problem.

Cool image, its not spectacular, but its clean and interesting, certainly has potential ;)
A pig and a cow and @#w#@ can be the very best of friends
Originally Posted by Stupinator View Post
well, I do see your guys' points, but for BenD's comment, It's the first week of my class m8, one class per week, so yea..

never too early to learn =D?
learn to rape marks off the process and concept, my lack of process was the reason i didnt get an A for art in highschool.
even if u have a piece that is worth 80-90% without good concept and process will only get you 60%

Originally Posted by Stupinator View Post
as for the shirt, I just got off of work at BK, didn't bother to unbutton, HOLYCALMDOWN BEND!

IM RAGING LET ME RAGE DAMMIT!! >=D
Last edited by BenDover; Mar 22, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
BenDover, NutHug used a tutorial to accomplish that :v
http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tu...losion-effect/

As for Stups image, the background is drawing too much attention. Sharpening the focal point slightly, and blurring the background slightly should help with this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
<Phail> Everyone knows GMs can combust your videocard temporarily
<decimat0r1> let those bitches try