Ranking
Original Post
What genre is this?
I really like this genre of music but I can't quite classify it, maybe you guys can help.
I was thinking of starting a band like this
It's... rock? How is it hard to classify? If you want to be more specific (which is just silly, genres are to generalize), you can call it alternative rock. It's Beck, after all. :s
Well I know its rock but I want something a bit more specific. Like it's not metal, has clasic rock licks in the guitar solos and the riffs sound like punk.
@Nasuke, more specific? What do you mean by classic rock licks? Well, if the riffs sound like punk to you (which they don't actually, to me), it's punk rock with classic rock licks, no matter how little sense that makes. Congratulations, you've classified this with a genre. It's a new genre, too! I still don't get how this is going to help you make a band.

If anything, I'd classify it as experimental rock, which is alternative rock, which is what I've told you in my other post.

@harl, I don't really know why people feel the need to stick a label on everything...?
well to a point it's useful - i mean you can box stuff in to things like 'funk', or 'blues', and that's useful enough for explaining what 'sort of thing a band might sort of sound like' to someone who hasn't heard them before. It's fair enough for looking for music similar to X band or X track i guess.

But honestly, i have a pet hate about this thing where people 'superclassify' music..i just don't get the point.
Originally Posted by H4rl3quin View Post
well to a point it's useful - i mean you can box stuff in to things like 'funk', or 'blues', and that's useful enough for explaining what 'sort of thing a band might sort of sound like' to someone who hasn't heard them before. It's fair enough for looking for music similar to X band or X track i guess.

But honestly, i have a pet hate about this thing where people 'superclassify' music..i just don't get the point.

Well, yeah, flat-out genres like Blues, Rock, Jazz, Hip-hop, etc, are fine, but, for example, ultravegetarian progressive experimental post-jazz-fusion ska is a bit exaggerated. Like you, overclassifying is what I'm against.

Well im not really wanting to classify it. I was thinking maybe someone knows it as an exact genre so I can note that in an add. Then I guess I'll just post the links to the song types I wanna play when I post my add
Just make it say "alternative rock" and I'm pretty sure most people that are music-savvy would classify this as alternative rock.
To my ears it sounds like oriental rapcore to me, also known as Rap Rock. And sure, it also falls into the alternative rock umbrella and sometimes has some punk influences or even metal.
Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapcore

Some examples I know of.. although some are more rap metal:

Last edited by GenkiSudo; Apr 2, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi