Toribash
Original Post
Turning Shadows Off?
Hi All, Im new here and i just downloaded toribash and it is amazing, except that my fps is really low, ive turned fluid blood and all that to 0 including shaders, The only thing left that is probably killing my graphics card is the shadows and i was wondering is there anyway to turn them off? My card is a FX5200 btw.

Thanks in Advance
Toribash uses more CPU than GPU(Graphics Processing Unit, by the way. 3Dcard) anyday. So it's unlikely that just removing shadows will get a heavy speedboost (or even notable.) I don't remember how to actually do that. There might be a -commandline for it.
What what? In the butt.
What computer / operating system do you have ?

Try this:

Disconnect from the internet, and then start Toribash.

Does it run much faster ?
Last edited by Stilf; Apr 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Ive tried turning internet off and disconnecting it, doesnt run faster at all my Specs are

Windows XP SP2
Intel Celeron D 3.06 GHZ Processor
1.56GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX5200

I thought the shadows would up the framerate, the only noticable framerate drop is when i hit uke with my guy. It kind of freezes for a second, framerate loss and then the gradual framrate gain occurs about 15 seconds after hitting uke.
which shader are you using when you see the shadows? Are they soft shadows, or like real looking shadows that look like the ragdolls outline.

For the first problem i suggest you download 3.24 http://www.toribash.com/download.php
because i know 3.22 the soft shadows are always on.

for the second go into (after downloading 3.24 and assuming you save it under games instead of program files) CGames\Toribash-3.24\data\shader or Cprogram files\Toribash-3.24\data\shader and open up the shader you're using and change "sharp_shadow 1" to "sharp_shadow 0"

:P confusing, eh?
Last edited by Pirate_old; Apr 11, 2008 at 01:23 AM.
Pirate: He already said the shaders are off.

xxinferno: Try to turn off any background process such as instant messaging programs, anti virus, etc.
Your processor might be a bit weak for the physics calculations.
Yeah, my old server was a pentium 2 and the calculations crushed it while not even displaying graphics. Ye Olde toribash_server...

I'd say your processor is too lightweight.
"Splint Chesthair" - Is my real name.
I already have version 3.24 and i always turn all the backround processes off leaving only the Local Host , System , and Explorer.exe running.
Yeah i thought about the same idea someday cuz my pc is crap too

it would be nice if it can be added to the later versions

and btw you can turn off explorer.exe cuz it eat much CPU....and you can bring it back by typing explorer.exe in the run command .

+-++-++-++-++-++-++-++-++-++-++-+
|F||u||n||c||t||i||o||n||-||X||-|
+-++-++-++-++-++-++-++-++-++-++-+