Toribash
Original Post
[Art] Partly melanistic snake
Originally Posted by David View Post

Somewhat large image

A partly melanistic snake.
:D

There. Please do leave feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by David; Mar 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
"i rlly want to join it cuz to me it is famouse" ~woodysaad
I see many ppl are watching your image but no one is saying something about it.

For starters, that's an awful scan of such a good art. Change your scanner immediately! :P
But, luckily there is a PS to help improve the scanned image. I suggest to 'wiggle' some Brightness/Contrast first to make drawing a bit darker and to show some more details of the piece that are hidden now because of bad tonal control of the scanner.

Some would say: Hey, dude, that's a lot of white stuff around there, why you no like background? Are you background racist? Shame on you!
But, I say, to hell with them, since this is a snake head and tongue study, and study sketches like to be enveloped in void.

Only mistake that I see is that you missed the opportunity to make snake's eye the main thing of this drawing. By that, I mean to make it most detailed, shiny, with much more attentions to details. Together with the some wet effect on snake's tongue, that would be two things to attract audience's look and attention.

All-in-all very nice study.

If you gonna continue to work on it in PS (and by that, I mean, to color it), then I suggest to add some blurred foliage as a background, and to concentrate with warm and bright colors on the snake's eye and to add some 'wetness' to tongue.

Good luck in your work.
Last edited by 8OJ4N; Mar 15, 2012 at 04:00 AM.
Thanks for the feedback.
The only thing I'm going to have to disappoint you about, though, is the coloring.
The snake is partly melanistic, meaning it has got a mutation that's the opposite of albinism, making it black. Again, partially.
The other part of snakes like this particular one have a white lower half with some black spots (?) on them. So basically, that makes this snake black and white.

Now, I might add some greyscale touch-ups, just to make up for the spots I missed with my pencil.

And I do have to agree with you about the eye, I noticed my pencil should be slightly sharper when I drew it, as it blends in with the other scales too much. So long for depth.
I will probably be able to fix that in Photoshop, though.
I know that melanistic snake is kinda dull with colors, that's why I suggested:

and to concentrate with warm and bright colors on the snake's eye

That eye could be focus point of the whole thing, just because the rest of the snake is almost color-less. Even if the eye itself is almost without color, I would go for it, just because of the contrast.

Just a suggestion...
In the end, it is you who make your art, and all decisions should always be yours. :]
I guess I'm always safe as long as I do it on a seperate layer, eh?
I'll give it a go.