Toribash
Original Post
[Tex] Anime - Discussion
Hey All!

So I have enough of a body of work that I feel like I'm developing a style I like.
I just finished this head:

anime head

(it is for auction herebtw).

So i feel like i'm narrowing my interest in making heads. I think "Pretty Pink" is my best work so far. Here's some examples of my development. What do you guys think about this style, what are some pitfalls, what do you find interesting and boring

bandaid - First Attempt

mutton chops

shut. up.

Hunter

Ravvine

lexi

pretty pink

I think the last head -the pretty pink- is the best one. The rest... meh not bad, keep it up and keep practicing.
Seniman Elektronik Indonesia | GATA
Got any questions ? Throw me a PM or just mention @toriabiz on Twitter
The last one is definetely the best, a huge step from the rest. I find the face pretty well executed, i like the facial expression and style. While proportions are way off, and it's a human head, i don't really see that a problem with this style of textures. That's one of the cool parts in anime/cartoon heads, the possibility to go wild without worrying too much about proportions to get interesting outcomes.
Would you mind showing Pretty Pinks' flat? In the preview the quality seems quite low, but i have a feeling it's because of the previews, if not, then you should work on the edges of parts. Also the hair looks rather boring, practice that aswell.
Oh, the bottom of the last head is quite shitty compared to rest of the head, it looks way too bland with that 1 color there. Some shadowing would do the trick i think.
Keep it up.
Last edited by Jodarok; Jul 16, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
It's All About Expansion
Jodarok....You're right, dude. I get lazy on the hair...its pretty chaotic and mediocre the way the highlights and shadows don't match up.

Also under the heads....I can never figure out what to do under the chin.

Good pointers...thanks for the tip
thats some pretty advanced vector lighting on the face.
why do you do such good work on the face, but then ruin the texture with that shitty vectoring on the rest of the hair.
curious.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
LOL

Because I work on the face first and when it looks awesome then I say to myself, "Alright, lets throw some hair on this thing so I can earn some TC"

I have trouble with the hair because it is such a huge area of uninteresting details. When I have tried to make detailed hair in the past, it just looks like a pumpkin...

Please share any good examples you have of well-done anime hair, espc girl hair. It looks crappy cuz i've been avoiding the fact that I don't know what do do with that huge area of texture.

Side-note...it's raster art although it looks vector.
Originally Posted by DDDyyy View Post
[CENTER]

Ravvine

lexi

why do people insist on making the hair curve into the face?

sorry gravity doesnt work that way
shmevin eats smegma
Originally Posted by boStaff View Post
why do people insist on making the hair curve into the face?

sorry gravity doesnt work that way

I'll assume that that's his style of making heads. Anyway, he did a pretty good job on the last head. C:
Ex-Gamemaster
Shoot me a PM if you have any queries!