Toribash
Original Post
With your shield or on it, with Blade Symphony (image waaarning)
http://www.blade-symphony.com/

Alright motherfuckers it's time to throw down about a video game I've been playing for THREE HOURS at the time of making this thread. It's Blade Symphony, a recently released gem by the guys who made that Dystopia source mod, if you remember that. The name of the game is a one-on-one sword-based dueling game, with an emphasis on tactics, footplay, and patience. It plays a lot like Jedi Knight II and other games like it. The gameplay is smooth as butter with a good connection, and the game feel is excellent for this kind of game. It feels responsive, and the way the hitboxes work just make sense, unlike other Steam-based games featuring melee combat. Mostly shit like TF2. IT ALSO HAS FANTASTIC MUSIC. AAAH IT'S GREAT.

whoosh look at that blue line it tells you where your sword's going

Thanks to the Steam Summer Sale, you can probably manage to grab Blade Symphony for a fairly measly $7.50 for a whole COUPLE DAYS, and I'll try my best in my limited experience to explain to you, reader, why you should (or have) purchased this game.

VIDEO TIME.

I'm not sure about you folks, but the first thing I thought of when I heard of Blade Symphony was CODA, that plucky UDK game that KiTFoX, Eleeleth, hanz0, ishi and I (and some incredibly unimportant tagalongs) played three years ago. The difference is that Blade Symphony has a community. Ha ha.

So, what the fuck is even WITH this game? Well now, let me start with the basics. I should say right away that this game is juuust out of beta stage, so there's a lot of tweaks and additions planned for the future. It's hardly a final product, from my viewpoint, so I wouldn't judge it too harshly on anything in the game at the moment.

I'm not going to go TOO in-depth with the specifics, because they wrote up a handy guide that I would be clumsily retelling at best or being misinformative at worst, so refer to HERE if you want to know more about the game from the people who made it. I'll just be introducing the basics for the fun of it.

Characters

JUDGEMENT

The big-ass knight man. This guy hits like a fridge with a sword strapped to it, and he's slow to boot. The website suggests playing him defensively, but I've seen people power into combat to occasional success. He's big, he's strong, he's powerful, he's Judgement.

PHALANX

This kid right here is just scary. He has huge range, he pokes ridiculously fast, and if he's equipped with the foil, he can evidently kill you in two hits easy. He's Phalanx, and widely considered to be the most powerful of the three characters in the game right now. That's not to say he's impossible to beat, or even very unfair to play against, but he's certainly quite good. Don't let your guard down against him, or he'll fill you with holes.

RYOKU

The breakdancing Yakuza goofball. Ryoku's all about spacing, speed, and mobility. He can keep you at a distance with long sweeping slashes or far-reaching thrusts, or he can get in close and pepper you with many small strikes. From what I hear, he's supposed to be underpowered, but he also apparently has an infinite air combo he can put you into, so believe what you will. I'm definitely not biased because Ryoku's my boy and I play nothing but him, though.

Blades

The characters themselves are only half of the strategy, however. Each sword type (the model of sword itself is for cosmetic purposes only, something I find quite neat, honestly) have their own quirks. In no particular order:

Some classes seem more handy with certain blades, like the aforementioned Phalanx and his foil. I would encourage people to experiment with character and sword combinations, however, as they may find they enjoy something completely different!

I would be a horrible source of information as far as combat or movement or anything else is concerned, so I have nothing to do but ashamedly point you at the actual guide for any questions you may have concerning combat or anything else.

If anything in this thread or more reputable sources may have sparked your interest in Blade Symphony, consider giving it a shot. It's certainly worth the price tag. I'm basically playing it alone at the moment, but if there are enough of us willing to give it a go, we could get a Toribash server set up for us or something. It's always fun to jeer at each other flailing at each other with polygonal swords, after all, as I've learned from our CODA days. If you wanna add me on Steam or w/e, hit me up either in the thread or a PM or whatever. ENJOOOOY.
Last edited by rittu; Jul 21, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Reminds me GunZ. Looks kinda cool
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Love you guys. | Soɐd | Kiza | iRookie | Orko | TGS |
Zora | ViperTech

The mechanics for this game looks great, something I want to play man.
Is there some free demo or something to try out?..
I don't like it when I game goes "Here's a trailer, trust what you see and buy it"
I'd much like to test it out my self :c
The stairclimbing mechanics made me shudder, oh god, like those horrible gamecube shooters. Looks like GunZ. I like the concept quite a bit but i'm unsure about the mechanics and how they have been executed.
Hoss.
OMG...this game looks cool..will try it out and critic it later

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2
✦RIP -zzzkie, I'll miss you 2012-2015 #neverforget.✦
👼Proud owner and leader of [Ascend] with my brother, Nevramon👼
Check out my 🎧 FREE💃 sound request shop! - I have a lot of art (like, 45+ heads and a few sets) for sale! PM me for them!
Love playing this, pre-ordered it a few days ago and have been experimenting with all the sword types and characters, people in-game generally seem to be nice.
Anyone in the Toribash community active on this game? I play it quite a bit now, so addicting. Can hold my own decently against some of the top active players but I'm no where near their skill level.