Toribash
Original Post
The most "competitive" mod(s) in Toribash
Redundant Moderated Message:
Don't just post random mods here. Put some thought into your post and explain why the mod of your choice is better than others and whatnot.
Useless one liners will get infracted.
So, I made this topic so we could have a slight debate/discussion about what are the most "competitive" or "fairest" mods in Toribash.

So what mods would we play if this game would be "real" e-sport and why?

Aikido? Wushu? Teakkyon? Something else?

Word is free, debate is highly encouraged, but remember that this is DISCUSSION board and all board specific rules apply.

Stupid & non-productive post will be infracted. If you don't have anything better to say than just mod name, stay silent and wait poll I'll make after we've got few ideas/opinions about this.
Last edited by Redundant; Sep 29, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
It isn't one of my favorite mods, but I think Taekkyon is fairer than a lot of the others because you can't run or shovel. Lenshu also seems pretty fair and could be suited to competitive play.
Last edited by RageFist; Jul 25, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Member of the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement Logistics Division
Aikido Big Dojo is definitely the most "fairest" competitive mod right now.

• The ability to grab (as well as starting positions) counters running.
  • Dismemberment threshold allows for an aggressive playstyle to be possible.
  • Instant dq inside the ring allows for a grappler-esque type playstyle to be possible.
  • Frames are set up to allow great precision on the first 2 turns to avoid unavoidable disqualifications/dismemberments.
  • Frames also allow for decent precision throughout the majority of the match.

The way the mod is setup allows for many different effective strategies to exist without one overpowering strategy dominating the others. No other mod really accomplishes this as well as abd does imo.
Last edited by DaNooB23; Jul 25, 2013 at 06:26 PM.
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."
I'd say TK, and then shortly followed by RK-MMA, and then any non-grab mod with a dojo

TK's a biased opinion. I've never been close to decent in TK, even though I've played a ton of toribash. So when I play anyone who's known for some TK (Like Erth), I literally can't win and never come close to winning. That to me is the idea of competitive because as you get better you're legitimately able to always win against people who are worse than you. The only problem being seemingly random dms occuring, but usually it isn't completely game breaking and better players can recover.

RK-MMA has the nice non-grab + dojo thing going for it which is always appealing and the settings feel right.

I know everyone duels in ABD but I've found it a bit random at times, more than likely because of grab. It fosters a few different ways to play which is cool but I see myself winning against people who are monstrously better than me at the mod a great bit more than I do in say TK.

I'd love to say Wushu, but it's only competitive because the better players (Logic, Snudge, Begotten, etc) can make it so by never avoiding coming back and coming back very quickly. The end of the day 50 TF can cause a lot of silly things to happen uncountered and less skilled players who pick and choose when they concentrate efforts on coming back can win often. So no go for my true love
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Jul 25, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
I'm gonna go with RK MMA. It's my personal favorite, no instant DQs, like Hxcb said the settings feel just right. Running is a possibility but the matches are generally long enough that a skilled player can come back and reengage a running opponent.

I like ABD but there are definitely times where I'll lose a match and feel that the other player got lucky. RK MMA takes more skill because you can't rely on balancing yourself with grabs, or constantly grab/ungrab your opponents head to score points.

edit: Also Runkido is a close second behind RK MMA, I'm actually not sure what the default settings are but generally when I play it's with no grab and around 500-600 match frames, and I find that to be very fun and competitive.
Last edited by Shiggy49; Jul 25, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Originally Posted by DaNooB23 View Post
Aikido Big Dojo is definitely the most "fairest" competitive mod right now.

And also the most stupid mod ever created. Best mod is Tiltfix.
Oblivion: that wasn't hilarious
Oblivion: it was brilliantly complex though
Oblivion: hands down man
Oblivion: today I genuinely believe more than I ever did before
Oblivion: that you are better than me
Oblivion: gg NutHug

Like my stuff?
Join my FunClub or subscribe on Youtube
tk, kb, swpiritwrestling, boxing mods

abd is broken entirely and it's mostly about dms or score instead of anything else.

abd was created to get rid of lifters, but nobody gave a fuck to change dms, so metagame shifted from suplexes and throws into dms and score.

so i'd say spiritwrestling (self dm only) is quite competative mod with least meta game shifts.

+ boxing mods i guess, but require some changes too, but in fact if you are good in boxing mods you will be pretty much dominating. glad we finally got a first toribash boxing clan too. the only problem is it's very different mod from anything else on tb.
so versality is quite questionable.
Originally Posted by snake View Post
tk

Originally Posted by Hxcbbqimo View Post
I'd say TK

elaborate please. i've never played a match of taekkyon where something stupid and unexpected didn't happen.
Last edited by pusga; Jul 25, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
oh yeah
I've wanted to fix Spiritwrestling to make it a better choice for duelling since the current state of ABD is a joke right now in "competitive" play since you can just cheese a win by kicking them in the beginning and then tripod. IIRC, sumo is turned off in spiritwrestling, needs slightly more match frames, and a shorter timed dq time. I don't know if turning off self damage would make it better or not. Not sure how I feel about a wrestling mod without points.
[Urban] | Ormo | Team Sambo

I'm taking offers for my set
In terms of competitive gameplay, I would have to choose ABD and spirit wrestling. out of all the mods that I regularly play, Those two feel the most solid. You can really have fun with the physics and balance in a way that for the most part feels fair and logical. Sadly, ABD is not perfect and some very old glitches are still present, like failures to reset, collisions that glitch and mess up the dq and that totally unrealistic frac that occurs to small joints like the neck and knees when you grab them even with the lightest force.
I turned off the light at the end of the tunnel.