Ranking
Original Post
SaltyBet.com - Never bet on DBZ.
http://www.saltybet.com

What is SaltyBet?

Saltybet.com is a hybrid twitch.tv stream and fake money betting game. Originally established as a way to bet upon fighting game tournaments for funsies, the site has expanded to include a 24/7 stream of Mugen CPU vs. CPU random battles to ensure the salt never stops flowing. Contestants are shown pre-match and a betting window is opened, you then place a bet on your pick and before the match starts all bets are locked in. Payout odds are not preset based upon characters in the match but depend upon the bets placed by players, in other words, if everyone backs Rare Akuma and he wins, the payouts are tiny, however, if you have chosen an underdog that somehow pulls out a win all the salt is yours!

Due to it's hybrid nature it is recommended to have two accounts set up, one on saltybet itself to allow you to play along and a separate account with twitch.tv so you can join the discussion and get hype in the chat.

What's MUGEN?
MUGEN is a fighting game engine and development tool designed to allow amateur hobbyists and those who are more artists than programmers to create fighting games. In most cases, people create individual characters and collect all the characters they can find from other people.

What happens when I lose all my fake money? What are the salt mines? What is the Illuminati?
As a new player you will never drop below ten salty bux, this allows to you to climb your way back to the top of the pile through grit, determination and betting acumen. Being put into this situation is known as the salt mines, with such tiny amounts left to bet with it will be a long, hard, and painful journey back to the land of the living. There is an account based leveling system, the more often you bet, your level will rise, with higher levels your minimum cash will raise making it easier to get out of the mines.

The Illuminati is a way to show support for the site and keep yourself from ending up in the salt mines. All Illuminati have a minimum cash amount of $666, in addition to having an edge over stingier players you will also gain perks such as personal bet histories, stats on past match-ups and events and character stats, a fancy gold name and more features promised such as a private forums. All this for the low price of $3.99 a month, $8.99 for 3 months or $30.00 for a year. NOTE: This is all done by hand so if you pay for Illuminati and it doesn't show, it means no one is online to auth, you most likely did not get ripped off.

This seems awfully imbalanced, why don't they curate the characters better?
I don't think you get saltybet.com, why do you hate fun?

What happens when we've seen all the characters and it becomes too predictable?
It's mugen, my limited understanding of it leads me to believe that the character pool is essentially limitless. Even if you see 3 Rolls or 3 Clouds back to back there is no guarantee it wasn't 3 separate versions of that particular character.

What is a clone? What causes a clone?
A clone is a character imported from another version mugen causing some sort of glitch. Invest heavily in clones, they are even better than DBZ.

Have fun guys, share stories of absurd matches, talk strategy, live blog your experience, just have fun. I'd rather not see a ton of meta-gaming, part of the fun is the absurd randomness, please keep your google doc spreadsheet of god tier and shit tier characters to yourself, don't ruin it by going super sperg.
Last edited by up2u; Aug 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Originally Posted by bishopONE View Post
always bet on moe
always bet on sf
always bet on ronald

And above all else, always trust the chat

(Please don't get mad I just want to get out of the mines ;_;)
never bet anyone because she is bigger than other, foolishly done by me.

i bet angel 18, that covered almost full screen, while enemy were 'lil guy called heart

~diggy diggy ho saltymines~
Originally Posted by JellyNinja View Post
Always bet on small hitboxes.

Tein was like a 60/1 underdog, he won because he was to short for the other guy to hit.
my clan was deleted