Toribash
Original Post
Hiphop, the ressurection
So as seen the past few years, hip hop has decreased dramatically. Four main things seemed to circulate in the main stream world; Money, Women, Drugs and Alcohol.

Not saying every artist who does partake in these such lyrical wrecks are in fact complete air heads, given even Lil' Wayne has created some pieces both memorable AND peaceful.

But look at the come back we're having. Naming few artists, main stream, worth noting about.

• J. Cole
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • King Los
  • Joell Ortiz
  • Jay Z
  • Eminem
  • Pusha T
  • Wale

It's starting to move away from the typical trash we hear every day and evolving back into its true identity.

Kendrick has the right idea with his "Control" verse, calling out rappers to spice up the game. He doesn't do it for beef, he clearly stated that. He just wants the usual game back, where they did that for power. Back when lyrics defined power, not money and fame.

What's everyone's look on the game? What do you think will happen.

**edit, changed "three" to "four".**
we dem boys
I personnaly don't care about "the game", I just like good shiz. You forgot some big names :

Asap Rocky
Odd future (Tyler the creator, Earl sweatshirt etc...)
The underachievers
Flatbush Zombie

And yeah, Kendrick Lamar pwnz.
Deprav, you care about the game. The game just means they really try on the lyrics and as opposed to the couplet rhymes they push the boundaries for lyrics and rhyme paradigms and where lyrics matter not just the beat.

GZA - Liquid Swords is the leader in the Rap game without a doubt. Lyrics, rhymes and beats. It's all there and no where on this album did the Wu Tang slip on thin ice.
"evolving back into its true identity"
"Back when lyrics defined power, not money and fame"

I listen to a lot of older hiphop from Nas, Warren G and Redman, RZA and the likes.
I think it's nice that there are some hiphop artists but I really don't feel like the context has changed through the years - I only see change in the context of what's in the mainstream. It's all flash now while hiphop was more hood back then.

I think a common theme back then wasn't just "power" it was about struggle too.

The only hiphop scene that has stayed true to the old context in terms of content and subject matter for me is the atlanta trap scene.

Resurrection might be a fitting word if you're just talking about what's mainstream but I feel like the whole scene is doing alright.

Resurrection of good producers is what hiphop needs.
Last edited by illv; Sep 5, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
I turned off the light at the end of the tunnel.
Rap has met it's destination. And you know what they say. It's not the Destination that is memorable, it's the Journey. Or something like those words. I don't know.
Real Hip Hop is definitely coming back because of artist like Earl Sweatshirt ,Tyler the Creator,Vince Staples and Frank Ocean. I know for a fact Hopsin has been doing good for a while now surprising that no one brought him up. Hopefully it stays that way and they don't suddenly decide they need to start rapping about women,drugs,alcohol and money.

Hopsin- Raps about how other rappers rap about sex and drugs.
Shown in his song Sag my pants.

OFWGKTA(Tyler the creators group): They uh as stated in one of their songs don't rap about fucking bitches and getting head,they rap about getting bitches and getting heads.
Last edited by Tetsuru; Sep 6, 2013 at 01:56 AM.
<Vordred>ther are very girls in my village
Yeah I like Earl Sweatshirt. I've been following Odd future for a while now. Good stuff.
Dat Doris.
I turned off the light at the end of the tunnel.