Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Original Post
Talk about piracy
Okay , just to make clear , I don't support piracy or something by making this thread.

Also here's what I thought : on US or europe , probably piracy is highly prohibited. But on the poor region like some region of asia , piracy is legal. Also here in indonesia , you can just go to the street and buy some dvd for 7 k rupiah , that's around 70 cents .

Also I have read on some indonesian web that saying piracy boost the local economy by 5 - 15 %.

So probably on africa or poor region , piracy is "legal" too?

So what we should do to stop this piracy madness all around the world?
:D
Economy is based on supply and demand. Artificial pricing on infinite resources is a scam. IP laws are anti-competitive.

What will happen when 3d printing becomes household? Apple already own patents on "rounded corners", will other parties follow suit? Will I not be able to print something that is similar to something patented? What happens when mass fabrication becomes popular? Will a company copyright carbon?

Anti-piracy and IP laws don't make sense in any way.

Also noteworthy is that physical goods are worse less than digital goods - the penalty for stealing a digital album is MUCH higher than stealing a physical album.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Also I think the piracy laws is a bit nonsense since stealing a bag full of dvd of " movie a " may get a year until 5 year in prison ( depend) but stealing dvd " movie a" via interwebz will get a fine of 1 million or something
That's just plain wrong
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Economy is based on supply and demand. Artificial pricing on infinite resources is a scam. IP laws are anti-competitive.

How exactly is someone charging you for their creative work a "scam"? Are you saying that because it can be digitally replicated it is now worthless? Such a policy would destroy the creative industry.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
Patenting "rounded corners" is ludicrous.

A 3d printers are a long way from being household. You still have to buy materials and what not for your printer and like most printers it would cost a lot for some quality materials.
Originally Posted by Boredpayne View Post
How exactly is someone charging you for their creative work a "scam"? Are you saying that because it can be digitally replicated it is now worthless? Such a policy would destroy the creative industry.

No, it isn't destroying the industry.

There are infinite ways to make money without artifcial inflation.
For example;
League of Legends is free, but players pay micro transactions.
Steam competes against easy free piracy, but they offer cloud storage, social tools, etc.
Many companies give away software but charge for support.
Google has many free products, but charge for ads (which users bid for), and have industry tools that are accessed via the cloud.
Hulu and Netflicks charge users for access, not for data.
Many musicians hold what is called a 'live concert' where they charge users to watch them perform (you may be surprised to find that Skrillex is well off!).
Many movies have physical screenings where people can go watch.
Many sports venues are played in physical arenas in addition to being streamed live to free channels.
Many authors do book signings, give speeches, make money from endorsements, affiliations, sponsorships, publishers, etc.

"Guys I put effort in so even if it's retarded please give me money" is not a valid, logical, or sustainable economic policy.

Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
Patenting "rounded corners" is ludicrous.

A 3d printers are a long way from being household. You still have to buy materials and what not for your printer and like most printers it would cost a lot for some quality materials.

I already know a few people near me using them, and the materials are cheap.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
No, it isn't destroying the industry.

There are infinite ways to make money without artifcial inflation.
For example;
League of Legends is free, but players pay micro transactions.
Steam competes against easy free piracy, but they offer cloud storage, social tools, etc.
Many companies give away software but charge for support.
Google has many free products, but charge for ads (which users bid for), and have industry tools that are accessed via the cloud.
Hulu and Netflicks charge users for access, not for data.
Many musicians hold what is called a 'live concert' where they charge users to watch them perform (you may be surprised to find that Skrillex is well off!).
Many movies have physical screenings where people can go watch.
Many sports venues are played in physical arenas in addition to being streamed live to free channels.
Many authors do book signings, give speeches, make money from endorsements, affiliations, sponsorships, publishers, etc.

"Guys I put effort in so even if it's retarded please give me money" is not a valid, logical, or sustainable economic policy.

Uh, taking something illegally because it's "retarded" is not a valid, logical, or sustainable policy.

It is interesting that you list Hulu, Netflix, and Steam, because if everyone pirated, these services would NOT EXIST. If everyone pirated, there would be no monetary incentive to even make television shows in the first place!
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
Uh, taking something illegally because it's "retarded" is not a valid, logical, or sustainable policy.

I'm not advocating illegal activity.

By they way, piracy is not 'taking something', since the 'something' remains. I think you mean to say 'copying something'. Remember that piracy is not theft, it is a copyright violation. Please don't use misleading terminology in the future.
It is interesting that you list Hulu, Netflix, and Steam, because if everyone pirated, these services would NOT EXIST. If everyone pirated, there would be no monetary incentive to even make television shows in the first place!

Piracy exists and is readily available. And yet Hulu, Netflix, Steam all exist. Why do you think this is? If piracy is so easy, so free, why would anyone use paid alternatives? Even if everyone pirated then tv show would still be produced.

Some homework for you, learn what "product placement" is, and perhaps google some economics - try to learn "why would someone pay for something that has a similar free equivalent?".
Shaddap newbie. You can't actually stop piracy. Its because every country have their own economy . Example : american don't pirate that much , since they're income is pretty big . But like russia or something , its hard to stop because income is low and they won't spend 60 bucks on a game. They may use it for better things , like for food , paying electricity. So, yeah piracy is part of the product itself
-----
Consider it from this pic : http://m.imgur.com/gallery/wtvZ0
Last edited by Trocher3; Oct 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump