Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Original Post
Meditation
Does anyone here meditate?

I do, though I still haven't made it a regular practice. I try to at least once everyday, even if it's just mindfulness while I do something else. I'm stuck in a egoistic trap of being interested in meditation and eastern religions, but haven't done it nearly as much as I like to read about it.

It's nice when I do manage to practice. I've noticed already that by focusing entirely on the breath, thoughts get way less attention. And the only thing that causes suffering, is thoughts. So I can imagine progressing even more will bring about states of peace.

If anyone has an interest but doesn't know much about this topic, I'd recommend listening to some Alan Watts lectures, and possibly reading The Power of Now. There's other resources too, but I've mostly only listened to Alan Watts, that book, and skimmed other texts.

Discuss.
Last edited by isaac; Jun 30, 2015 at 02:40 AM.
Can you explain the basics on how to meditate? I'm honestly interested.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
Originally Posted by WeooWeoo View Post
Can you explain the basics on how to meditate? I'm honestly interested.

Mindfulness of breathing:
  1. Focus on the breath.

A. Pick either a physical sensations (e.g: the rise and fall of the abdomen, the breath passing through the nose, the breath passing the tip of the nose, etc... ), a mental concept ("in" and "out", or a point in space that the breath passes, or the process of the rising and falling of the abdomen, etc... ) or both.
  2. The mind will begin to wander. When you notice it has (a moment of mindfulness) return focus to the breath.
  3. Rinse and repeat.

I like to focus on the point in my nose I feel air entering and exiting.

Meditation in this style is training concentration/focus. If a thought comes up, there's no need to feel bad or upset, just return focus to the breath and be happy that you're back to the breath. You might get lost in a long chain of thought, don't start another by being displeased by that, instead just focus on the breath when you realize that.

To make things easier in the beginning, you can count your breaths. When I first started I would count every in breath and out breath. If I got distracted by a thought, then I would start over from 0. If I got to 10, then I started over again. Once you're able to routinely get to 10 when counting both in and out breaths, start counting only your out breaths, or only your in breaths.

In the beginning, I meditated lying down. If you're more comfortable doing that, then do that. The most important thing is that you meditate at all. Finally I'm at the point where I'm sitting up to meditate, and I noticed right away how much more focused I am during the session than when I'm lying down.

I'd recommend setting a timer for however long so you can let thoughts about how long it's been or "am I done yet??" pass away with ease. It'd be easiest for you to ease into the habit with just 5 or 10 minutes a day. Most people who are serious end up doing 20-60 minutes a day, and a lot of people claim that it takes a good 15-20 minutes before their mind actually settles and they're able to settle in deep into the meditation. But for now, it's more important you create the habit of meditating and that'll be easiest if you start low.

Meditation has a lot of scientifically proven benefits, as well as having been used for centuries by religions. Here's just one quick thing I googled about it. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ain-meditation

Keep in mind that it's a practice and that you're physically changing your brain and it will take time, and thoughts will occur. I'm at the point where it just clicked that I just need to return to the breath instead of going off on a tangent about thinking about being on the breath and not getting lost in thought.

I've noticed that doing this gives a thought very little time to try to trap me into reacting to it. Instead of being aware of a negative thought or desire thought, I'm aware of the breathing again in an instant. It allows one to become more conscious, and end their slavery to their thoughts.
Last edited by isaac; Jun 30, 2015 at 05:20 AM.
Dude I had the most intense mushroom trip this one time and felt compelled to sit in some dude's garden and meditate, so I did and it was just totally mind blowing.
Everything went blue and I can't really describe the rest of the shit that happened but it was just.. wow.
I have been able to sit for almost an hour. I try to meditate every night. I will set a timer and if I notice that I have wondered to far into my thoughts I start over. There has been times where I start the timer and then what feels like a few seconds go by and its more like 2-3 hours. Meaning I got lost in thought and eventually fell asleep sitting upright with my feet crossed.
I've been wandering on the internet last night and ended up listening to mantras and meditation guiding sounds, made me look into a few informations about meditation and chakras. It's interesting and I think I'll probably try myself soon.

I even took a "chakra test",

test

I'm not totally a total stranger to meditation tho, I practice chinese martial arts (wing chun, a bit of ba ji quan) and the "internal" part is always important. I sometimes use an exercise called "the tree stance" which is very close to meditation, but standing still in a precise stance. It's pretty hard to hold more than 15-20 mins tho, thoughts tend to focus back on muscular pain.

the tree

I'm also doing some "cardiac coherence" sometimes, I just like the fact to be focused on something as simple as breathing, feels good.
Last edited by deprav; Jul 2, 2015 at 04:02 PM.
I started meditating around 6-7 years ago, dunno. I do it every day.
What it boils down to is that you become more aware of your body. I know pretty much instantly when something is wrong or why I feel bad. Also am able to tell what I need to be happy. It helped me become a happy person overall.
There is a lot of spiritual bullshit around meditation which is why I prefer to call it autogenic training.

The guide Isaac posted is, uh, very limited and incomplete. Those are the first few steps you take when you want to relax. Relaxing is not meditating, at least in my opinion.

As with regular physical training it is a good idea to set yourself a short term goal you wish to accomplish. E.g learning the source of your depression, being able be less tensed up all the time or w/e you can think of.
Make up your own techniques and figure things out yourself. Guides are usually rather bad and set you on paths that don't necessarily apply to you.

If you have an experienced person that can help you out that can be a big help though. I personally did guide a couple of people successfully through some sessions and they said it helped them a lot. I took into consideration what they told me before and induced what I thought would be best for them.

but ya
stuff
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
What it boils down to is that you become more aware of your body. I know pretty much instantly when something is wrong or why I feel bad. Also am able to tell what I need to be happy. It helped me become a happy person overall.
There is a lot of spiritual bullshit around meditation which is why I prefer to call it autogenic training.

The guide Isaac posted is, uh, very limited and incomplete. Those are the first few steps you take when you want to relax. Relaxing is not meditating, at least in my opinion.

As with regular physical training it is a good idea to set yourself a short term goal you wish to accomplish. E.g learning the source of your depression, being able be less tensed up all the time or w/e you can think of.
Make up your own techniques and figure things out yourself. Guides are usually rather bad and set you on paths that don't necessarily apply to you.

If you have an experienced person that can help you out that can be a big help though. I personally did guide a couple of people successfully through some sessions and they said it helped them a lot. I took into consideration what they told me before and induced what I thought would be best for them.

but ya
stuff

So, can you do muscle ups w/o cheating?
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
True happiness can't be found from the external world. I'd guess that any desires you see as what you 'need' to be happy, is you being able to easily recognize your ego, but not willing to separate yourself from it.

I avoid anything about chakras and other silliness, but Buddhism, Hinduism, other eastern religions that've been around for hundreds of years with the goal being enlightenment certainly have merit. I still ignore anything about past lives or chakras or etc though.

That's all that mindfulness meditation is, and it's all that you need to reach further mental states like the jhanas. One can do body scan meditation or whatnot, but the method is the same. Pick an object of focus and keep your attention on it. But obviously it was a brief guide. It's all a beginner needs to know. Once they run into something they have questions about, they can find it on their own.

I'd say that non-striving is important or you're still stuck in the same ego trap of chasing one goal after the next, which is what meditation is used to put a stop to.

I agree with not using guided meditations on youtube or the like, but it'd be good for one to follow a school of teaching to some extent, but experiment and pick the one that resonates with them best.

but ya
stuff

Just my thoughts.

You never said what your meditation technique was though. I'm interested to know.

And another good reading for anyone that'd want to, is With Each and Every Breath