Toribash
Original Post
[discussion]basing sets on others
befor you guys bite my head off, this is a discussion based specifically on the art/textures section, which is why i didnt place this in discussion, i want views and oppinions from the people involved in this section specifically

so the point of this is to find out how strictly this rule can be applied
13. Do not request textures based on someone's existing textures without their consent.

the reason im asking this is because of the request ofillusion made
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=52792

he has asked for a halo based set on a character that hanz0 has already made a set on. But has made an entire series on all the characters, has this now eliminated the option to make ANY other halo based sets?

ofIllusion asked for a halo set, not "a set like the one hanz0 made for the mjolnir series" and was told he cant because a set like that has been made already

has hanz0 now patented the entire halo style?

if so i find that massively unfair

one cant corner the entire market for a style.
i could just as easilly say that every tribal set out there has been based on the sets i have made
which i havnt and wont.

so to what extent can this rule be applied?
i think ofIllusion should have been able to have his request filled
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
I also agree, I've never seen this happen anywhere else, i mean that would completely kill people who have stores that base things on existing characters, and to me counts like at least 50% of the total textures made, especially from beginners.
It would get harder and harder to follow through with that, especially with the rise in player members.

Although it would be unfair for a member to retain monopoly over a certain style (goes the same for you BenD :> ) It is the intellectual property of a texture maker, and if somebody copies or bases his texture from another person, like altering colors or adding elements WITHOUT consent, it is stealing and punishable.. by whatever laws we follow in this community.
A good thumb rule was stated by hanz0 himself in the thread: The new version shall come with its own uniqueness. This isn't only good from the art aspect, but also benefits the players who wear those sets.
The more difficult part would probably be: Where does uniqueness begin? ;)

In general, I share your view. Just recently, I've thought about a similar issue, when I did my blood set. It's not too hard to guess that there were blood sets out there already, so I wondered if that would restrict me from selling it. But then, the set still has its uniqueness, so I went on. Plus, its impossible to know which sets have already been created in the past anyway.

Your comparison with the tribal / my comparison with the blood lack a bit, though: Both are a style and not a theme based on a game (/ movie / cartoon / ...). The joker example is better applicable.
Yeah, i agree, tis hard to find a definite "border" point, where it would go out of basing on a character and turning into your own idea. But then, where do those "edit my head" threads come into this?
Yeah, I spoke to nachouru shortly about this on IRC and admit that I was probably in the wrong there.

What I'm going to do is allow for people to make the set, however I will be checking each set made against the one I sold to Defyant *just in case*.

Sorry about the confusion. I'll leave this open for a while in case anything else needs to be brought up.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
I think that this statement settles it reasonably. And double-checking never hurts.

@OfPhailure: This "edit my texture, which was done by another artist"-problem is another one because it bases on another texturer's work already, not on a concept or game, like Halo in this case. I'd say it should be fine as long as you give credits to the original creator and s/he does not prohibit you from doing it.
k, so this specific problem is sorted, but i was using this as an example for all requests
Im tired of "so and so has that, ask his permission first"
people have been axed for saying stuff like "i want a cool tribal head, with eyes kinda like this persons head" or whatever. people have just been taking the rule to literally.
people say that as a guide line as to what they want, not saying "|copy that please"

generally, people mustn't be so trigger happy when it comes to throwing this rule around
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Nailed it, Fluxit.

As for BenD's point, the rule of thumb is to try to avoid entirely saying "base X off of Y's texture". However this is still a matter of to what degree you're asking to base it, as you mentioned. As long as the thing being copied isn't unique enough that it would be instantly recognized, I'd say it's alright. For example, if you were to ask for "eyes like hampa's" that would probably be alright because they are a relatively common design. On the other hand, if you asked for, say, "a visor/mask" (it looks like a mask to me) like BenDover's" then that would be too detailed a copying request.

If you have any questions about the legitimacy of such a request feel free to PM me to ask.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Well I made one based on Halo one...
It is the halo [I made at first for myself] <---to avoid any misunderstanding about any sort of advertising XD

It was a different style and hanz0 didn't have any complaints...

BTW i don't really want to sell that head so don't ban me for advertising!
Just saying about the differences....

But I think if the style is different, then it should be ok

Like, think of all the emo and tribals being made!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]