Toribash
Original Post
Suicide, What are your thoughts?
After hearing countless stories about people committing suicide, it had made me thinking for a while. Why would someone go past the point where they needed to escape reality, is depression that bad?

I, for one, have not experienced such depression in which I would have suicidal thoughts however I can understand what kinds of thing people have gone through. If anyone has played "Actual Sunlight", it'll make you think not only for you but the others around you. In a basic review, this game is about Love, Depression and Corporation some of which is what can lead to Suicide.
Now, my main thoughts on why people end their lives are because they feel as if they are worth nothing. They feel as if they are abandoned, forgotten, maybe even thrown away. Some might call these people cowards for ending their problems but are they really? The human mind can only take so much and bullying is making it worse.

I like to know what you think, obviously, I'm no genius so there is no wrong answer. I'd just like to hear you opinions on Suicide.
Steam: aruwind
Originally Posted by Maxiboo View Post
After hearing countless stories about people committing suicide, it had made me thinking for a while. Why would someone go past the point where they needed to escape reality, is depression that bad?

I, for one, have not experienced such depression in which I would have suicidal thoughts however I can understand what kinds of thing people have gone through. If anyone has played "Actual Sunlight", it'll make you think not only for you but the others around you. In a basic review, this game is about Love, Depression and Corporation some of which is what can lead to Suicide.
Now, my main thoughts on why people end their lives are because they feel as if they are worth nothing. They feel as if they are abandoned, forgotten, maybe even thrown away. Some might call these people cowards for ending their problems but are they really? The human mind can only take so much and bullying is making it worse.

I like to know what you think, obviously, I'm no genius so there is no wrong answer. I'd just like to hear you opinions on Suicide.

Hey there.

I actually suffer heavy suicidal thoughts about 3-4 times a week, though it varies. It is simply something I suffer from, and no, it is not depression. They are unpredictable and the length of time they will last is unknown. When they happen I tend to go to my room and hide under the covers until the 'pain' stops.

The feeling is truly like nothing else. It's this state of mind where every single thing you think about seems negative. It's this perception that no matter what happens to you, you will always be unhappy. If I thought about winning one billion dollars during this frame of mind, I feel nothing. There is no joy in the world, everything is negative. Your mind goes to one place, "What's the point in living then?". That's the scariest part, as that is when suicidal thoughts come into play.

I have had a few horrible attacks where I come close to hurting myself, but dear god the amount of strength you need to hurt yourself deliberately (pull the trigger for example) is enormous. When people say it's cowardly to commit suicide, I am appalled. The fact that they had enough strength to kill themselves, but not keep on living means that they were certain about what they were wanting to do. Killing yourself requires a lot of bravery, and I have never reached a breaking point like that.

The key thing to remember during these episodes is to keep telling myself it's only temporary, and it won't last very long. Though in the moment, your brain really doesn't care. It believes it will be forever in this pit of hell. 10 minutes later I'm totally fine again. I can't explain why it happens. So far no scientist has found exactly why it's happening, so there are many unanswered questions.

This is of course my experiences with suicidal thoughts, so most others will be dramatically different, from other people/events affecting them etc. so they deal with it once. While I have to deal with it on sometimes a daily basis. Luckily I have strategies to help myself, so it ends up being okay and not as bad anymore.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to reply and ask whatever you want. Nothing is really of limits. Hope this helps you!
All I have to say is if you think you have it bad and think you want to die and can't handle it THAT BAD, then just do it, because there are people all around the world who probably have 1000 more reasons than you to want to end it all and are positive people that try and make the best of things. There is no guarantee what happens after this life, and it can be hard sometimes, but being positive and getting through it all is always going to be the best option. There's not enough room on this earth for negative people like that, and I am tired of hearing about it, suicide shouldn't even be an issue.
I can really relate to Kyure's description, but I've never been able to admit to myself that I'm depressed. I have no idea how close I am to actually committing suicide, because you know, I've never tried. But what do you mean when you say it's not depression? I feel like it's more of a sound reasoning, there's a part of me that thinks of it as absolute truth and another that thinks of it as absolute lunacy. Some days it's more of the other.

I have had a few horrible attacks where I come close to hurting myself, but dear god the amount of strength you need to hurt yourself deliberately (pull the trigger for example) is enormous. When people say it's cowardly to commit suicide, I am appalled. The fact that they had enough strength to kill themselves, but not keep on living means that they were certain about what they were wanting to do. Killing yourself requires a lot of bravery, and I have never reached a breaking point like that.

I have attacks like that and I do minor self harm like hitting myself with a pencil or burning myself with matches. I've always thought of it as an acceptable way to deal with the pain, with the motivation that it would be worse of me to bother someone else with listening to my petty issues.
(I should add that the pain feels very physical. It kind of feels like your chest is imploding, or like you're carrying a rock. It's also of varying degrees, usually it's just a minor inconvenience, but sometimes it gets so bad I can't move and feel like my breathing is constricted).
I've had a very strong intent to end my life at several points but actually doing it is another thing.

Also as for the thing with why you would want to end your life, for me it's always been that I feel like a burden. I decided pretty early that I was tired of the charade of life, and the only way to make my life worth it is to make the people around me as happy as possible. I've always felt like people were avoiding me, and it would generally be better if I never was born. Suicide is just the second best alternative. And of course i'm also painfully aware of the implications of suicide, people around me and all that.

And this is just to give you my story. I find this interesting since I was shocked in 10;th grade that people generally didn't have suicide thoughts. Just like you can't comprehend that some people do.
Last edited by Lazors; Oct 16, 2015 at 10:11 AM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
I can understand these random suicide thoughts. I, as well, have these random thoughts. None of them are caused by depression or hatred, but I'd think about killing myself. I would wonder if I could actually do it and what method I would choose. I'd always think how drowning would feel, I'd never have the courage to slit my wrist or throat.
I've been in and out of two mental health hospitals this year for attempted suicide and it is honestly a very serious thing, especially depending on who you are talking to. Some people get minor suicidal thoughts and others are insanely compelled to end their own lives. Idk, it's a touchy touchy subject. Unless you deal with suicidal thoughts yourself it can be very hard to understand why somebody would want to throw away their own life.

The best way to describe it is feeling a certain sense of pressure that builds up inside of you, similar to anger, but it's a much more self implosive thing. The pressure may build because of mental illnesses, bad life experiences, or worst case scenario both.
Last edited by Aracoon; Oct 16, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
I'd definitely go with a bullet to the brain, however, since it's Britain we don't have guns. Instead, I often think about hanging. I fantasize about what it would feel like; it wouldn't be painful per se, just very uncomfortable for a few seconds until your brain shuts off. Drowning's not so bad either really, though I imagine it would be a lot worse. Anything that involves blood is a no-no for me. I've heard that taking a fuck load of pills and slashing your wrists in a bathtub is actually a pleasant way to go, but I just couldn't do it.

I remember I was about 7 or 8, and I was in Wales with my mum. We had stopped off at this camp-site. The thing I remember most about it is when my Mum showed me this area of houses where she said people had 'chosen to take their own lives', which didn't make much sense to me. At the time, I was in the frame of mind that believed every living thing would die of old age. I couldn't understand why someone would kill themselves and it pretty much haunted me for the rest of the trip. I remember just asking "but why, mum?", and she replied, "some people just know when their journey is done".

And here I am, depressed as ever, fantasizing about suicide. Heck, I was such a happy kid.
Originally Posted by Aracoon View Post
I've been in and out of two mental health hospitals this year for attempted suicide and it is honestly a very serious thing, especially depending on who you are talking to. Some people get minor suicidal thoughts and others are insanely compelled to end their own lives. Idk, it's a touchy touchy subject. Unless you deal with suicidal thoughts yourself it can be very hard to understand why somebody would want to throw away their own life.

The best way to describe it is feeling a certain sense of pressure that builds up inside of you, similar to anger, but it's a much more self implosive thing. The pressure may build because of mental illnesses, bad life experiences, or worst case scenario both.

Yeah, okay. I guess I can't really say I understand what suicidal people are going through.
Although guys keep in mind discussing detailed suicide or self harm related scenarios such as 'I would do this to myself,' or 'I like to do this to myself', can trigger people, which is never a good thing. I would not get too graphic with this stuff.
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
I'd definitely go with a bullet to the brain, however, since it's Britain we don't have guns. Instead, I often think about hanging. I fantasize about what it would feel like; it wouldn't be painful per se, just very uncomfortable for a few seconds until your brain shuts off. Drowning's not so bad either really, though I imagine it would be a lot worse. Anything that involves blood is a no-no for me. I've heard that taking a fuck load of pills and slashing your wrists in a bathtub is actually a pleasant way to go, but I just couldn't do it.

I remember I was about 7 or 8, and I was in Wales with my mum. We had stopped off at this camp-site. The thing I remember most about it is when my Mum showed me this area of houses where she said people had 'chosen to take their own lives', which didn't make much sense to me. At the time, I was in the frame of mind that believed every living thing would die of old age. I couldn't understand why someone would kill themselves and it pretty much haunted me for the rest of the trip. I remember just asking "but why, mum?", and she replied, "some people just know when their journey is done".

And here I am, depressed as ever, fantasizing about suicide. Heck, I was such a happy kid.

As a child, I never liked the sight of blood, well... lots of blood / gore. I could never do anything that involved a bucket load of blood. I usually thought that pills were the "painless" way out.
-----
Originally Posted by Aracoon View Post
Although guys keep in mind discussing detailed suicide or self harm related scenarios such as 'I would do this to myself,' or 'I like to do this to myself', can trigger people, which is never a good thing. I would not get too graphic with this stuff.

It's really up to the person whether or not to click on this thread. But I do agree that we have to keep it to a minimum.
Last edited by Maxiboo; Oct 16, 2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump