Toribash
Original Post
FAQ for 3D items, 3D sub-forum etc
So, without doing all the work by myself I thought, perhaps there is already some documentation on the limitations and how the 3d items can interact with the game engine in general. However, the general FAQ, the art board and even this S&I seems to lack any specifics on that subject beyond how they are created.

Would it be possible to have someone compile a short FAQ for 3d items, and maybe also have a list of released 3d items, images of them (ingame) and maybe even lock the thread so it becomes a nice short FAQ?

A third thing is that these items seems to fall between two forum parts, ART for the art aspect of them, and S&I for the item forgers. Maybe it would be time to centralise and or combine the two into their own sub-forum under art?
Last edited by Slau; Feb 3, 2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: changed prefix
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
I cant really say no to any of the things youre suggesting. I like it all.

The part with making a 3d item "demo" thread. That could be done by any of the normal players.

I guess i could start on such a thread myself when i find the time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Real human from Event Squad! Send your applications to me <3

I also had plans to make a list of all 3d items but i found out there are quite a few out there.

Was also thinking to make a thread with what items go in combination with what other items.
2 item combination, 3 item combination, 4 item combination, etc. But for this to be done it will require a acc to have all the 3d items dumped there and test these things out. It takes time and patience and the staff to make that acc and possibly market greylist it so that it can only be used for that single purpuse.

A more developed 3d item tutorial is needed. I support this and i am willing to help out with what i can.
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals
we could make a player initiative 3d team, that has access to an account with all available 3d items on it.
And from there does the work of making the 3d item guide.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Real human from Event Squad! Send your applications to me <3

I definitely support the idea, and I have some resources as well:

The T3AL has some useful resources and info about 3D items: http://forum.toribash.com/forumdisplay.php?f=469

This has a large list of 3D items: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=544901

This is a list of every item in the game: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=514453

There are 2 tutorials for 2 major 3D modelling programs made by Ezeth:http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=492531
and Myself: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=521518
Each of them tells you how to import and view objects as well as other useful info.

Without revealing too much I can say that the item forgers have resources which would make what you're suggesting easier.

In terms of boards, this should definitely go on the Art board, considering its going to be an FAQ and not a suggestions thread.

Originally Posted by Colors View Post
we could make a player initiative 3d team, that has access to an account with all available 3d items on it.
And from there does the work of making the 3d item guide.

If an acc like this would be given to somebody who can invest the time i think it would be great
I cant say to who...but somebody responsable and all.

And simple restrictions can be placed on the acc: greylisted on marked and banned from multyplayer. Even forum is not necessary since u can take screenshots and post from another acc...

Now that i see like this u can use the item.dat for this once a list of all 3d items is made....stupid me
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals
Perhaps we could start an org dedicated to items and posting previews of different items.

We could work to gather one of every item in the game (or just use item.dat editing lol), create different item combinations, post screenshots of requested item combinations, and work to create and link to tutorials on 3d item, flame, and possibly hair creation.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, I'll start making the org asap.

Originally Posted by Smogard49 View Post
So, without doing all the work by myself I thought, perhaps there is already some documentation on the limitations and how the 3d items can interact with the game engine in general. However, the general FAQ, the art board and even this S&I seems to lack any specifics on that subject beyond how they are created.

POLYGON LIMITATIONS
There is kind of no limitations to 3D objects in that sense of the word, but of course the more polygons and higher resolution textures you include the more laggy the game is going to become so we set an artificial limitation on around 1000 polygons just to keep the game lag free for users without a powerful computer. Personally my computer lags at around 50k polygons in the toribash engine.

TEXTURE LIMITATIONS
You can also set the resolution of the textures of the objects as high as you want, but then again it will lag if you go too high. The standard for objects right now seems to be either 256x256 or 512x512, I personally use both.

OPACITY
Since .TGA files that is used for object textures have alpha channels you can manipulate opacity in whatever way you want, as you can see in the sunglasses object I made earlier. http://forum.toribash.com/tori_shop_item.php?id=2136
you can have everything between 0-100% transparency in your objects.
Keep in mind this TGA must be 32bit in order to work.

SIZE
You can use dynamic size adjustments in your objects (included in the item.dat) which will scale the objects down automatically (I dont know exactly how it works because I just leave it disabled) size of the toribash characters head is 20 CM according to Maya

Would it be possible to have someone compile a short FAQ for 3d items, and maybe also have a list of released 3d items, images of them (ingame) and maybe even lock the thread so it becomes a nice short FAQ?

FAQ can be arranged, just tell me what questions you want answered I can include an FAQ section in my tutorial if you want. However I don't have enough time on my hands to load up images for all the around 220x 3D objects, I hope you understand ^^ However I don't really feel comfortable by releasing a detailed list of every item because some items are going to be used for events and therefore we want to keep them secret for the reasons of surprise. Also many of the items are the same item just with different colors, some items are test items and some legendary items. Many items have never been released at all, and some have been edited later. But.. yeah you have this list ofc
http://forum.toribash.com/tori_shop.php?cid=78

A third thing is that these items seems to fall between two forum parts, ART for the art aspect of them, and S&I for the item forgers. Maybe it would be time to centralise and or combine the two into their own sub-forum under art?

Well in some way I agree with you, have an own section for item creation. However I have to specify that a very small amount of people are making 3D objects right now in the community, so it will be a very lonely sub-forum. Both the flame forger team and 3D team have been a thing earlier but both orgs have died due to inactivity.
Last edited by Ezeth; Jan 15, 2017 at 03:17 PM.
Originally Posted by dengue View Post
flipped normals on opposite side items annoys me much, we need a fix.

Fixing that means changing most of the codes of the 3D models loading engine - that's why sometimes when a model is visible from both sides, we tend to make another side that has the opposite normals on the other side.
Besides, that's how it works in most of the 3D engines to save up rendering processes that would otherwise be used on areas that are not usually visible, like the insides of a cube, outside or under a map, the inside of your player model, hair and 3D Item...etc