Ranking
Original Post
[GIMP] No transparency
first of all:
my computer CAN use shaders AND transparency, as you can see here:

i used skulfuks help here but it didnt work.

somehow the parts which should be transparent appear as the color which is set as the background color in gimp, ya know, this:

(so the "transparent" parts would be green now)

h3lp please :S

D0R
My deviantART
so wut?
Gimp doesn't handle transparency as a solid colour - it looks like a grid (grey & white)

So long as the layers have alpha turned on (layer -> transparency -> add alpha channel) then using the eraser tool will create transparent areas.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
i know how transparent areas should look like

ok i ll try this out

new image, and Fill with:
Transparency

~resize it 128x128

~draw some red shiz line

~save as: trail.png
now there appears Save Backgroundcolor with a little square to click in
hm... dont know what to do, i ll try both, so trail1.png WITH saved backgr color and a trail2.png without

now i use the TGA converter

1 for the left arm and 1 for the right.

--> folder "test", lp 0 test --> both trails black with red shiz line

shall i use .gif or .jpg
My deviantART
so wut?
There's not many file types that correctly support transparency. You could use .GIF, but you'd have to make do with indexed colour (256) and it'd look crap. .JPG doesn't support alpha in any form so it's pointless using it.

The best bet is either .PNG or .TGA

When you save make sure you don't 'flatten' the image as that'll change any transparency to white (or whatever background colour you've got set). Merging them down will keep the transparency.

Also if saving as .PNG in GIMP move the compression slider from 9 to 0, it's not work compressing a TB texture for the file size difference.

And as a final note - if saving .TGA make sure RLE is turned off & the origin is left as default (bottom left).

If your transparent image has been saved correctly both a .TGA & uncompressed .PNG will be 64k

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Make sure you click "Merge visible layers" instead of "Flatten image". Save it as .png, to keep quality high and transparency. That or .tga.

If this doesn't work, make sure you don't have any other layer than the actual layer you're on. Do this by bringing up the layers menu (Ctrl+L)

If this doesn't work, set an alpha channel, click x, and make a new layer.

Still not working? Send me the image you want transparent.
Try to.... allways save as .tga, which is what I do, but I can't use transp, but I do it anyway.
Sigma | Gata
Lost pet looking for home